A "good" deal or buy Canadian. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A "good" deal or buy Canadian.

correct me if i'm wrong isn't parts canada the same company as the major parts company in the usa only in canada they mark everything up to insane prices?

I've ordered parts from the usa before, saved 33%, ordered tires from pete (though a retailer in ontario offered to meet his prices but he was just as far from me as pete) and i saved 50% ($500) on one piece leathers even after brokerage and shipping ordering from the usa... at the same time i've ordered with in canada because it was the same or better... it's only the middle man and the retailer that are making money here, it's not like most of this stuff is manufactured in canada and in some cases the middleman isn't in canada either so it's just the retailer. retailers that are going to make it are the ones that will provide service, not just goods.

Parts Canada and Parts Unlimited are affiliated but they are not quite the same company.

I'm in manufacturing in Toronto so I always make an effort to buy locally. If I am buying online I look for a Canadian vendor first, cost compare and make an effort to engage the Canadian vendor in a price match situation - this I do regardless of the purchase, bike related or otherwise - but most of my cost comparison has been for general use items.

It has already said that we don't get the selection that is offered in the market and that is an entirely different thing altogether - no grief in those situations.

For the most part, when I include shipping costs and customs fees (if any) the local guy is usually competitive in my experience.

Lately, I have been checking out costs for a Garmin Zumo 550 and have not found a US vendor any less (in real dollars sense) expensive than Canadian retail. I get the feeling I am looking in the wrong places though :dontknow:

I've just bought some brake parts from Bluestreak. One item about the same as US prices the other cheaper than US prices. However I've bought lots of stuff online before from the UK, Europe and the US. The US is great for cheap used parts. I mean, we have our own "Overpriced Motorcycles" thread on here which shows how a lot of the Canadian used market is way overvaluing itslef.

I buy some parts locally and some in the States. I try and spread the love to some local shops when their prices are competitive.

I go to Michigan once a month or once every other month to stock up on household items though. The difference in price is astounding and I save quite a bit of money doing this.

In tough economical times, I would like to save.

I ordered some winter tires for my car from Tirerack. I did the calculation and I saved $146. I don't believe the price of gas to drive down there is nearly that.

ON a different note, I bought some parts locally for my car. It was slightly more expensive, but then again, I don't have to wait for shipping. NOt bad at all.

Is the local dealer only selling local made product? If not, why is it fair for them and not for us? I'd prefer to buy local, I like the dealers in my area, and want them to do well. But, my loyalty dwindles when their prices are 2X more than what I can source elsewhere. I do my homework, and if local is even in the same neighborhood I will buy from them.

When I worked in Michigan in the late 1990's early 2000's I bought cars and bikes in Canada, the Canadian dealers didn't serm to mind so now I don't feel guilty buying in the USA while living in Canada. Let's face it though, very few people will spend extra money to support the local economy/business. Just look at what is happening to RIM or what happened to the domestic automakers.

Anything I need to try on, I'd buy locally.
When it comes to aftermarket parts etc I'll shop across the border.
Retailers price their products with x amount of profit to be made and will not budge on pricing 9/10 times.
Just as much as they're trying to earn their moneys, I will try and save mine.

When I wanted to try a medium tall joe rocket alter ego I was told I had to pay upfront to bring it in store. If it ditn't fit I wouldn't get any refund. I ordered from the states for MUCH less. I got three sizes, tried them at CIBI, and send two back. All in all it cost me a lot less. It really shouldn't be cheaper for an individual to import their own stuff...economies of scale and all that.

When I wanted to try a medium tall joe rocket alter ego I was told I had to pay upfront to bring it in store. If it ditn't fit I wouldn't get any refund. I ordered from the states for MUCH less. I got three sizes, tried them at CIBI, and send two back. All in all it cost me a lot less. It really shouldn't be cheaper for an individual to import their own stuff...economies of scale and all that.

I hate when shops do that. Ya we will order it in for you no problem, but if it doesn't fit you still have to buy it. Had that happen for my new helmet i just ordered. Didn't have my size, asked if they could get me in one. They said sure but if it doesn't fit i still have to take it. Said screw it and just ordered online, with the ability to return it if it didn't fit. I don't understand why shops can't do this.

I hate when shops do that. Ya we will order it in for you no problem, but if it doesn't fit you still have to buy it. Had that happen for my new helmet i just ordered. Didn't have my size, asked if they could get me in one. They said sure but if it doesn't fit i still have to take it. Said screw it and just ordered online, with the ability to return it if it didn't fit. I don't understand why shops can't do this.

I can understand having to pay a restocking fee, but out right buying the object?

That's retarded.

The shop should at least have enough of a selection in stock to figure out what size you are. Maybe they don't have the right colour or right model jacket you want but they should have another Joe Rocket jacket to figure out your sizing. Refusing to take returns is also pretty stupid. The odd time we encountered that at when i worked at Inglis (IE we didn't have any Joe Rocket XXL leather jackets or something like that) it was never an issue to bring one in since it's a good idea to have one for this very reason.

That's retarded.

The shop should at least have enough of a selection in stock to figure out what size you are. Maybe they don't have the right colour or right model jacket you want but they should have another Joe Rocket jacket to figure out your sizing. Refusing to take returns is also pretty stupid. The odd time we encountered that at when i worked at Inglis (IE we didn't have any Joe Rocket XXL leather jackets or something like that) it was never an issue to bring one in since it's a good idea to have one for this very reason.

That would be the logical way of doing business.

Im a big buy local guy. However prices from China are just unreal its pretty much impossible to turn down.

Pazzo - $189.99
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PAZZO-SET-PA...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bfd1f128

Chinese - $34.88
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KAWASAKI-ZX7...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fee046f6

Just don't come complaining to me if the cheapie levers don't quite fit correctly, and cause the master cylinder to not vent properly when released, leading to a front wheel lockup that is beyond your control ... Best one I've seen was at the end of the front straight at Cayuga, that sent the bike cartwheeling into the weeds off corner one. You are the final quality-control inspector.

That being said, I have a set of made-in-Thailand levers on one of my bikes, and they've been fine.

Just don't come complaining to me if the cheapie levers don't quite fit correctly, and cause the master cylinder to not vent properly when released, leading to a front wheel lockup that is beyond your control ... Best one I've seen was at the end of the front straight at Cayuga, that sent the bike cartwheeling into the weeds off corner one. You are the final quality-control inspector.

That being said, I have a set of made-in-Thailand levers on one of my bikes, and they've been fine.

Full Disclosure : - What Brian says is 100% accurate. I did buy those cheap levers and they fit too tight on the brake side causing the brakes to not release. 5 minutes with a file and they are totally fine.

I will admit to buying goods in the USA - everything from clothes to my complete bathroom renovation. Although I will not purchase electronics (warranty), or shop online.

I did buy a new riding jacket (removable liner, front and rear vents) at Vos Cycle City Niagara Fall NY. (owner Terry Vosburgh) for half of what it cost here in Toronto. As a matter of fact we outfitted my wife with leather from head to toe at VOS for a fraction of the cost here (chaps, jacket, gloves, boots).

We always declare everything because even after paying the duty, we still are ahead by at least 30% on most items. It is a lot less stressful and quicker than being "Red Flaged" at Canada Customs with questions and a search of the trunk. Plus Buffalo Wild Wing on Niagara Falls Blvd. is awesome.

http://www.vozcyclecity.com/

c6c34ead-1.jpg

Was in Port Huron this week doing some Christmas shopping. I knew I was making a pumpkin cheesecake for Christmas. Cream Cheese in Canada is $3.99 a package. At Walmart in Port Huron it was $1 a package. THAT is why I go over once a month.

Agreed .... have a buddy that locked up the front due to the heat build-up / vent issue early in a track session. Wasn't on the brakes at the time either. After they pinned and doctored his shoulder and ribs, he sticks to OEM ;-)

If I could get the same value for my money in Canada I would have no problem shopping local. However, as we all are clearly aware, the best prices and selection are not to be found on this side of the border. This fact has been driven home by the internet, which allows Canadians to see just how much more we pay for identical items, many of which are produced here.

I have been cross-border shopping for over 30 years. Even when the CDN dollar was worth $0.65 US there were still good deals to be found! As noted in other posts, the selection and price is hard to ignore when the great deals are so close. Whenever we travel into the states and stay for a couple of nights we make sure to stock up on items that are not avaiable here, or are at least half the price that we would pay in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom