93-95 900rr vs ZX7/9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

93-95 900rr vs ZX7/9

KJM

Site Supporter
I am with Jevco and will be staying with Jevco so newer sportbikes are out. Just getting that out of the way..

So which would you choose?

900rr cons - 16"front wheel
zx7 - "heavy and under powered" but his bike has the 9 swap done hence the zx7/9 title.

The other option is get a newer 2001ish FZ1.

Bike will be used for commuting to work and weekend twisty fun. Will likely never see the track.

Other bikes I am looking at are the 919 and zrx11/12 but these are over priced compared to the FZ1.

Thanks

As much as I love the zx7, I believe the FZ1 will be a better bike for your needs.

As much as I love the zx7, I believe the FZ1 will be a better bike for your needs.
That's what I am thinking too, just hoping it's as boring as it looks, based on the reviews it isn't. For context my last street bike was a very well sorted F2. Bike was great but I am just after a bit more power for my longish commute.

I'd never feel comfortable buying a used bike where someone else swapped the engine. Not unless I was ready to re-do the whole thing if I had to. God only knows what kind of crap was pulled during that swap.

Anyway, for commuting purposes, reliability is key. I'd say go with the FZ1. People seem to like that thing. :D

I'd never feel comfortable buying a used bike where someone else swapped the engine. Not unless I was ready to re-do the whole thing if I had to. God only knows what kind of crap was pulled during that swap.

Anyway, for commuting purposes, reliability is key. I'd say go with the FZ1. People seem to like that thing. :D

It's a common swap but I know what you're saying. If I went with the 7/9 I would have Ken (Kneedragger88) check it over first.

It's a common swap but I know what you're saying. If I went with the 7/9 I would have Ken (Kneedragger88) check it over first.

Ya it is a common swap, but I'm paranoid to the point that if I did buy that bike, I'd probably take it apart anyway just to make sure they didn't F it up haha.

Have you checked Kijiji lately? Pre-96 sportbikes have really dried up. People have caught on to the exemption rule.

Have you checked Kijiji lately? Pre-96 sportbikes have really dried up. People have caught on to the exemption rule.

Yes religoulsy. All the the bikes in this thread are presently available for me to buy and within my price point (except the 919 and zrx).

My first street bike was a little naked bandit 400. I loved that thing - maybe the fz1 with a stripped fairing and single round headlight set-up will be my best bet.

Last edited:
How is the comfort on the sevens? I have ridden a old 'blade and it was fine but the seven looks to have a bit more of an agressive riding position.

I would personally go with the FZ1, but the old school side of me says the CBR! Grab a 17" wheel from a later F3 and the handling is much improved.

Thanks the FZ1 is certainly winning here, and I have never had a "newer" bike, but I have always loved 7's and old 'Blades maybe should hold out for a 919...

But people want a mint for them in the GTA. Unless I go through the hassel of importing one of sweet ones from wristtwisters...

But people want a mint for them in the GTA. Unless I go through the hassel of importing one of sweet ones from wristtwisters...

Yea, but I would still want a Canadian model. There were several smoking deals on 919's here this winter, and will be again soon. There was even a thread on WT about the price of 919's going up in the US.

Back
Top Bottom