850 ccs and 165 HP. | GTAMotorcycle.com

850 ccs and 165 HP.

There's a snowmobile that looks like it might handle open water pretty easy! ?

It’s pretty interesting what ski-doo did there. It won’t be a benefit to us around here but a factory turbo 2 stroke will be a huge seller out west.

Btw all the 800/850 sleds come in around 160-170hp. This is cool that you will have that same power at high elevation for the backcountry/mountain guys.

Huh, 4 psi of boost? That seems hardly worthwhile, but I guess it helps maintain power as you climb. That may set a record for the lowest boost turbo system ever installed.

Huh, 4 psi of boost? That seems hardly worthwhile, but I guess it helps maintain power as you climb. That may set a record for the lowest boost turbo system ever installed.

It would take me all of 30 seconds to find the wastegate and crank it up... which would introduce lag... who wants a bunch of lag on a two stroke?

Yes it is maintain power at elevation, where two strokes lose to computer controlled four strokes.

Bring back 2 stroke streetbikes for god sakes

This will not happen unless someone develops one that conforms to current and foreseeable emission standards (e.g. Euro 5) ... and that has not happened (legitimately). Yes, I'm aware of a couple of niche products ... I'm skeptical of their claims. Whether they're relying on some sort of exemption for low-volume manufacturers, or relying on some sort of fleet-averaging credit scheme (to allow the high emissions from the two-stroke to be offset by low emissions from a much larger fleet of 4-strokes with full emission control), or simply outright lying/cheating ... I don't know.

Two-strokes with direct-injection work in snowmobile and outboard applications because those aren't subject to emission standards for on-road vehicles.

Technical problems ...

Piston rings require lubrication. They need oil supplied to them. If they cross intake ports, some of that oil inevitably gets flung off and goes into the intake air stream and into the combustion process, where it doesn't burn as well as fuel does. If they cross exhaust ports, some of that oil gets flung off and goes straight out the exhaust port. Catalytic converters don't like getting contaminated by excessive oil and particulate-matter (soot, carbon, heavy hydrocarbons from partly-burned lubrication oil). Detroit Diesel built two-stroke diesel engines for heavy-truck applications for decades, and gave up (and switched to 4-stroke) faced with 1990s-era emission standards - and those standards are a lot tougher today.

Scavenging is imperfect. You can control raw-fuel short-circuiting out the exhaust via direct-injection but you can't control air short-circuiting out the exhaust. A normal 3-way catalyst for 4-stroke engines requires a stoichiometric exhaust stream (the oxidizing part very close to precisely balances the reducing - "fuel" - part). If it's lean (due to dilution from short-circuited air), NOx is poorly controlled. Ask VW how well that turned out for them. Also, the dilution reduces the exhaust temperature which means it will take longer for the catalyst to light up after a cold start. The auto manufacturers already do all sorts of things to intentionally raise exhaust temperature after a cold start to get the catalyst lit up as quickly as possible.

Extreme dilution of the charge by exhaust when running lightly loaded leads to incomplete combustion (high hydrocarbon emissions) even if you can contain the raw fuel inside the cylinder, and even if you can manage to use stratified-charge enough to get reliable ignition (which is very poor with a conventional carbureted two-stroke - the irregular idling is due to misfiring, and it has very high HC emissions when running like that).

The four-stroke engine will be with us until the end of the internal combustion engine and its replacement with battery-electric ...

Two strokes have always been "cheap" and as such, outside of a couple small of racing circles, never really got fully developed.
It is GREAT to see that SkiDoo and Rotax are actually still spending REAL money developing them.
Modern 2T motors with computer controlled head temps, EFI, oil injection and power valves CAN be clean burning... AND THESE IDIOTS PUT A TURBO ON ONE!!! YEEE HAAA!!!!

...and you guys saying you want 2T street bikes back are looking at this with the ol' rose coloured glasses. A RD-LC or RZ is about as fast as a modern Kawi 400... a built to be cheap, commuter bike, sold to beginners, and the Yamaha, by comparison didn't stop, wouldn't turn in and tracked like a wounded deer at speed, and the Yamaha's were the GOOD ones. (I know I own about a dozen Yamaha RZ/RD/TA/TZ/TR 's)

The engineering going into sled engines and now high end outboards is really fun. They can make it last for the warranty, its getting to be a great "peeing" contest with the manufacturers , which is fun for enthusiasts .
Good times!

It’s pretty interesting what ski-doo did there. It won’t be a benefit to us around here but a factory turbo 2 stroke will be a huge seller out west.

Btw all the 800/850 sleds come in around 160-170hp. This is cool that you will have that same power at high elevation for the backcountry/mountain guys.
Carl Kuster says it definitely feels more powerful at sea level than a non-boosted 850 but of course he's a Skidoo ambassador.
Main thing for the trail guys though is it's a gateway for them and other OEM's to roll out turbo's on other smokers.

I like how your thinking. I’m not as optimistic that we see a factory turbo 2 stroke trail sled soon but I’d love to take one for a rip. If your on FB check out Paaso Racing, they have a video running a Indy XC with a silber turbo kit down a trail and it looks insane.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Polaris put one on their RMK next year though.

Back
Top Bottom