5-7 day road trip ideas / tips / routes | GTAMotorcycle.com

5-7 day road trip ideas / tips / routes

stangn99

Hey guys,
I'm planning on a road trip with my pops for this summer. Based on the requirements below, anyone have suggestions or routes? We're open to anything that's fun. He's on a cruiser and i'm on a sport bike. This will be my last year riding for a little while, so I'd like a really fun and scenic ride to end it :)

- Maximum riding per day 500-600km
- Highways are okay
- U.S.A is okay
- Twisties are okay
- 5-7 days of travel time
- need places to be able to stop and rest and fuel up in between.
- planning on staying at motels (no camping/tenting)

While highways are fine, I would prefer if the entire trip wasn't on a highway...this way we can get some scenery and snap some pix.

Anyone got routes or ideas? We're open to anything that sounds/looks interesting.

Thanks.

Stang i would highly suggest Pennsylvania or the finger lakes. It's close and is an easy 1 day ride to get to some good twisties, good food(cheap too) and very friendly people and courtious drivers. We usually cross at fort erie which means the qew, 401 crap but well worth it once you get into ny . I ride to tobermory, take the chechiman( eat at the cafeteria, good food) to baymouth, cruise around Manitoulin is also a nice trip.

Thanks for the tip, but we're looking for a trip that will have us on the road for 5-7 days.

Any suggestions?

hit up Lake placid as home base and tour around the adirondacks we did a 3 day trip last year and it was fantastic. but if your doing 5-7 days you have plenty of time to enjoy it down there.

Day 1: Toronto to Front Royal Virginia one long 800km day, can slab it to make it easy.
Day 2: Front Royal via Skyline drive to someplace halfway down Blue Ridge Parkway.
Day 3: Rest of BRP to some home base in North Carolina
Day 4: US 129 Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway etc. back to Home base
Day 5: Play around some more in situ, and plan to slab home, or go home the (amazing but slower) way you came.
Day 6: travel home.

^^ this.

Or Gaspe and back.
Or a Lake Superior loop.
Or some touring through Quebec along the north shore of the St. Lawrence, ferry to the south shore and ride home.
Or a ride to Maine, heading through upper New York/Vermont, then returning via Quebec, Calabogie & Haliburton area

Wicked wicked. Keep em coming. I'm going map all these out and see which route we can both agree on.

Anyone done a ride to Nova Scotia? Interesting at all? Thoughts?

Nova Scotia Great Ride, you can do it in that amount of time but you will be sorry you did not allow for more time. Cabot trail, south shore, annapolis valley.

If you want to try something really unique and get away from it all try the James Bay Hydro Road to Radission. But it is remote and your bike will have to be able to do 400kms between fill ups or carry gas with you.

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/

Nova Scotia Great Ride, you can do it in that amount of time but you will be sorry you did not allow for more time. Cabot trail, south shore, annapolis valley.

If you want to try something really unique and get away from it all try the James Bay Hydro Road to Radission. But it is remote and your bike will have to be able to do 400kms between fill ups or carry gas with you.

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/

Gas might be an issue. My bike only gets about 300km to a tank if I keep the RPMS low. Most of the weight (luggage) will also be strapped to my bike, since my father's bike is overweight and underpowered as-is. We definitely will need easy access to gas stations.

On a side note: what should I check for other than the following?
- Tires are fairly new with <4000km on them
- check chain, sprocket, brakes (brakes are new), air filter, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, battery
- I recently installed a manual CCT, so that's covered.

Any what should I bring with me on the trip? I'm packing some basic tools, tire patch kit, bottle of oil (just in case). I've install a 12V cigarette adapter on the bike, so I may also back my mini tire pump.

hit up Lake placid as home base and tour around the adirondacks we did a 3 day trip last year and it was fantastic. but if your doing 5-7 days you have plenty of time to enjoy it down there.

hey, do you have any suggested routes for this area? I'm looking to head out there for a weekend sometime this year.. thanks in advance.. PM reply is okay too :)

Day 1: Toronto to Front Royal Virginia one long 800km day, can slab it to make it easy.
Day 2: Front Royal via Skyline drive to someplace halfway down Blue Ridge Parkway.
Day 3: Rest of BRP to some home base in North Carolina
Day 4: US 129 Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway etc. back to Home base
Day 5: Play around some more in situ, and plan to slab home, or go home the (amazing but slower) way you came.
Day 6: travel home.

I did this exact itinerary last year minus day 5, and probably will again this year. Absolutely gorgeous views and a fantastic ride. If you want to enjoy a week on the bike to the most, I would say this is it.

I've done Nova Scotia as well in a week, but there is just too much land to cover if you want to make the trip worthwhile. Every day for me came to 1000-1200km of riding.

You can go anywhere into the Appalachians. WV in particular has some amazing roads. Plan as you go: as you feel like, as the weather permits, etc.

The trip down to the dragon is awesome, but it's a really long ride to do in a week. I've done it a couple times and kick myself every time for not taking 9-10 days to really enjoy it. In my personal opinion, the Lake Placid trip is a great way to go for 5-7 days. From Toronto, Lake Placid can be made in a day of riding (about 6.5 hrs if you go down across wolf island and weave your way through some of the smaller roads to get to hwy 3 through saranac lake and on to lake placid). You can literally spend every day riding around that area picking a new route each day and can come to a home base back in placid and feel like you've done tons of riding. (Mount Washington is a cool ride!) if you want to go farther, make your way across to Burlington Vermont and follow whatever path you choose to move towards US 112. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kancamagus_Highway the Kancamangus highway is a wicked ride through the white mountains in new Hampshire and is worth doing out and on the way back. North Conway is a nice spot to stay for the night. To get to north Conway and back through the smaller roads is a full 5 days riding and you'll enjoy every second of it! Hope that helps and enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom