4k TV 2019 version | GTAMotorcycle.com

4k TV 2019 version

MacDoc

Site Supporter
You will NOT be disappointed. Moved up to a newer HDTV from my quite nice 2017 49" ( if anyone wants a nice unit for cheap pm me ) as I have to stay relatively current and this is a treat.

91pj90PnqOL._SL1500_.jpg

Bargain time

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Class-Do...u+tv&qid=1575914486&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-4

Nother step up ....Dolby Vision
Dolby Vision - Dramatic Imaging at Home or in the Cinema

HDR10
Dolby Vision, HDR10, Technicolor and HLG: HDR formats explained

and significantly brighter - like well into proper HDR

TCL 55R617 was introduced in 2018. It has a LED screen with 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution. The TV is HDR compatible and can reach 1200 nits of peak brightness. It supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

The Good:
The affordable TCL 6 series has excellent overall image quality, with deep black levels, very good brightness, rich contrast and accurate color. Its Roku smart TV platform is the best available, with a simple interface and extensive streaming app support. The TV handles both HDR10 and Dolby Vision high dynamic range sources.

The Bad:
Brightness and video processing fall short of some more expensive TVs.

The Bottom Line With superb picture quality that rivals TVs costing twice as much, TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed.

updated review for 2019

QLED color technology delivers better brightness and wide color volume to provide exceptionally vivid and lifelike picture performance.
Smart functionality offers access to thousands of streaming channels featuring more than 500, 000 movies and TV episodes via Roku TV
Pairs 4K Ultra HD picture clarity with the contrast, color, and detail of Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR) for the most lifelike picture
LED backlighting with contrast control zones produce deep blacks and excellent picture quality
Full View design provides a clean, contemporary edge-to-edge glass display that blends seamlessly into your viewing experience
Auto Game Mode automatically enhances performance by offering the smoothest action, lowest latency and the best picture settings for gaming
Inputs: 4 HDMI (one with HDMI ARC), 1 USB (media player), RF, Composite, Headphone Jack, Optical Audio Out, Ethernet
Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 56. 9" X 32. 9" X 3. 4", TV with stand: 56. 9" X 36. 0" X 12. 4"
Easy Voice Control with Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility

TCL 6-Series Roku TV: The best picture quality for the money

Clients are moving to HDR monitors - Apple's iMacs have been at 500 nits for a while and so have the laptops but HDR is not enabled as yet.

Desktop monitors have lagged a bit ..of Apple's montrous $6k 32" reference monitor is way too expensive and eye searing bright.
Picked up some 32" Dells with 400 published nits but 440 nits tested and they get into HDR10 turf.

Many feel HDR has more impact on the viewing than 4k but really they go together. Can't assess Dolby Vision yet but at least have Disney+ as a reference channel.

I like that I can watch scenes filmed in natural light without any loss of detail. More enjoyable movie experience.
With streaming competition heating up ....nice time for newer gear.

not quite the black level of OLED but hey for half the price ...it's just fine. :grin2:

Disney+ Marvel series is a good streaming reference.

The DolbyVision stream is an eye opener as well.

Dolby Vision - Dramatic Imaging at Home or in the Cinema - that can be streamed to your TV or to your laptop.

The price of these things has fallen over the years. Pretty sure I paid nearly that price not so long ago for a much smaller 1080p dumb TV.

The price of these things has fallen over the years. Pretty sure I paid nearly that price not so long ago for a much smaller 1080p dumb TV.
I like 'dumb' TV's, they cannot spy on you or log what you see and some say they can hear (and collect that data too!).
Am I being paranoid?
(not Black Sabbath paranoid!)
The trade off is inferior pic quality.

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

Around the time of your last purchase I bought a sony 4k 43" to use as a second monitor. It got absconded as part of home staging and I tried to work without it, but my efficiency went way down so I bought another one to use in the interim. Current computer setup is two 43" 4k for reference materials and two 24" monitors to work on. I love it and probably started down the path with you evangelizing the TCL, so thanks are in order.

Sorry guys, but watching people upgrade their technology every time something new comes out is a riot to watch. This is marketing at its finest.
Just my opinion.:unsure:

The biggest issue:
ignorant posters that don't know **** all but think they are contributing to a discussion.. :rolleyes:

••••

TCL has certainly put pressure on other manufacturers to up their game in terms of value for money. Been following HD since 1982 ...it really is like looking through a perfectly clear window when the feed is right and we have a lot of good content.

Some good stuff on the Dolby Vision - Dramatic Imaging at Home or in the Cinema that demonstrate how effective HDR is ...but you need the nits to get there.
8k?? ...nah ...long ways from useful if ever tho some of the riders on the Vstrom forum are in .....big time.

Me ...prefer good tech for cheap.

TCL has built a bit of a cult following
really good quality at lower pricing
as they do very little mass-marketing

I'm good for quite awhile now
2018, 55 inch Sony Android TV
it's really a big-ass phone with 4K display

Plex server on the NAS and client on the Sony
best HTPC setup I've ever had....and don't need a PC running to use it

Got the 65" a while ago. Good image quality, but you really need an HDVD to appreciate it. Streaming, DL material, cable TV - none of them will use the full image quality. TCL comes with Chinese ROKU software which is very easy to use and supplies free streaming channels, pretty much anything you want.

ignorant posters that don't know **** all but think they are contributing to a discussion.. :rolleyes:

••••

TCL has certainly put pressure on other manufacturers to up their game in terms of value for money. Been following HD since 1982 ...it really is like looking through a perfectly clear window when the feed is right and we have a lot of good content.

Some good stuff on the Dolby Vision - Dramatic Imaging at Home or in the Cinema that demonstrate how effective HDR is ...but you need the nits to get there.
8k?? ...nah ...long ways from useful if ever tho some of the riders on the Vstrom forum are in .....big time.

[/URL]

Me ...prefer good tech for cheap.
C'mon, you can do better than that.

I’m still very happy with my 1080p TVs. Quite a lot of streams aren’t in 4K for what I watch anyway so I don’t really miss it.

I’m still very happy with my 1080p TVs. Quite a lot of streams aren’t in 4K for what I watch anyway so I don’t really miss it.
Higher res isn't always better. My wife caught a glimpse of Grand Tour (Top Gear) in 4K and said, "wow, they look old and wrinkly".

Sorry guys, but watching people upgrade their technology every time something new comes out is a riot to watch. This is marketing at its finest.
Just my opinion.:unsure:

But you'll be missing the fake news and unreal reality shows in the more glorious format. When a politician lies you can see each and every pore sweat.

I like 'dumb' TV's, they cannot spy on you or log what you see and some say they can hear (and collect that data too!).
Am I being paranoid?

Just tear a little tinfoil off your hat and tape it over the microphone on your remote and TV. I did this for my my neighbour - he can now enjoy top quality TV and sleep at night.

A neighbor of mine has 4 TVs all less than 5 years old. Every time there is a new "breakthrough" in technology, he and his wife have to get the best. They are the kind of people that Samsung love.

Just tear a little tinfoil off your hat and tape it over the microphone on your remote and TV. I did this for my my neighbour - he can now enjoy top quality TV and sleep at night.
Am I being paranoid?

Just don't give it your wifi password. It doesn't matter what it tries to monitor if it has no way to phone home. Obviously this isn't quite this clean if CSIS/CSEC is interested in you, but if they are, you have far bigger problems than your choice of TV.

I want to upgrade my only TV (bought 10 years ago, 40") and I have noticed there is a huge difference in price between 65" and 70". I would like a 70-75" as I have a pretty big living room, do you guys think it's worth waiting for them to drop in price? Or should I just get a 65" as I have been making do with a 40" up till now.

I want to upgrade my only TV (bought 10 years ago, 40") and I have noticed there is a huge difference in price between 65" and 70". I would like a 70-75" as I have a pretty big living room, do you guys think it's worth waiting for them to drop in price? Or should I just get a 65" as I have been making do with a 40" up till now.
Make sure you look carefully at the image. IME, up to about 60" 1080P looks ok. 80" at 1080P looks like #%#%. In between is a gray area. Are you using primarily 4k sources? If not I would go 65" max.

Back
Top Bottom