4 day work week? | GTAMotorcycle.com

4 day work week?

MacDoc

Site Supporter
A large employer in Aus is moving that way.

saw this about Canada
The 4 Day Work Week Canada campaign, founded in early 2022, continues to advocate for the adoption of the 32-hour 4 day work week with no loss in pay. As time goes on, many believe this will become the new standard in Canadian labor law.22 Mar 2024
Now Australians are paid better than Canadians not sure how that would impact...I'd guess two full time workers who also work part time will be the norm for those wanting a house :rolleyes:

Back in the 70's when working for a large retail, instead of a raise, we went from a 40 hour week to a 37.5 hour week.
So 7.5 hour day instead of 8. Really made no difference, the company still went under.

A large employer in Aus is moving that way.

saw this about Canada

Now Australians are paid better than Canadians not sure how that would impact...I'd guess two full time workers who also work part time will be the norm for those wanting a house :rolleyes:
A friend works a four day ~32 hour week. They took a 20% pay cut to get it.

I would welcome 4 days, 10 hrs each day.

A lot of people work that many hours already.

I would also work 4x10 instead of 5x8…but I’m in construction so unfortunately that doesn’t really fly.

It’s no different than the WFH. Management guilts the employees into coming in more often while they stay at home.

It would need to be a cultural shift from top to bottom of an organization. If it’s not, it’s a non starter.

It would need to be a cultural shift from top to bottom of an organization. If it’s not, it’s a non starter.
It's easier in some than others as they are mostly isolated from external factors. An engineering company can probably get away with 4x10 as long as some people are in every day. On a construction project, getting all of the unions on board would be a monumental task. You only need one to dig their heels in to sink the whole plan.

A company can just split the 4 days between all staff.
Some work Monday through Thursday and some work Tuesday through Friday.
This way there is coverage during all business days.

For some type of knowledge workers, the amount of time spent with your butt in an office chair and exactly when you spend it is not strongly correlated with productive output. Inspiration and productivity rarely comes from an hour of work sandwiched between two pointless status meetings, but it often comes from one uninterrupted 6 hour work session before or after everyone else logs off.

Unfortunately, the management chain is usually not composed of knowledge workers, and doesn't always understand this.

4x10 isn't necessarily common, but it's just an extended form of workplace flexibility that's almost a base assumption these days for some knowledge workers. 4x8 could potentially increase productivity, quality and creativity.

I mean... why the heck not!? I did it in my early years in call centers at my employer (one of the biggest employers in canada by headcount)... Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, working from 2pm to midnight
Let me tell you, i was the richest i could be at that stage
Couldn't really go out to spend money, got a premium for the late shift

It's not possible for everyone but for those who can, why the heck not.

I set my own hours.

4x10 is a very common shift in truck shops. I used to love working that shift. Having a 3 day weekend every weekend was fantastic. The days barely felt longer than a regular 8 hour day. I can't understand why any work place that has the staffing to make it work, wouldn't.

There was also the 3x12 shift over the weekends, but paid 40. 3 12 hour shifts in a row doing that kind of work was often brutal. By the 3rd day you'd be a zombie and spend 1 of your 4 days off sleeping and just recouping.

Being joined at the hip with the United States of I'llmurderya makes it hard for Canada to be that loose with that big a change. US business is all about the company being first, family second. Europe I've heard is different with longer vacations etc.

I think I could handle 4X10 but 3X12 not.

Being joined at the hip with the United States of I'llmurderya makes it hard for Canada to be that loose with that big a change. US business is all about the company being first, family second. Europe I've heard is different with longer vacations etc.

I think I could handle 4X10 but 3X12 not.
Before kids my wife did 3x12 and loved it. We'd eat dinner at 22:00 which was fine by me. She loved having two more days off a week especially when they were days most people worked so places were less busy. With kids, she would have hated that. Way too many missed events and too many days where she wouldn't see them at all.

Back
Top Bottom