~3ish day trip ideas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

~3ish day trip ideas?

• Thread starter Deleted member 50930
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50930

The chi-cheemaun ferry for the friday I have off is at 5ish so I am thinking about going the other way around

Thursday Night
  • Toronto
  • Parry Sound (HOTEL HERE)

Friday
  • Parry Sound
  • Explore Manitoulin Island (HOTEL HERE)

Saturday

• Manitoulin Island
  • ON-129
  • Wawa
  • Sault Ste. Marie (HOTEL HERE)

Sunday

• Sault Ste. Marie
  • Manitoulin Island
  • Ferry Back
  • Owen Sound (HOTEL HERE)

Monday

• Go home

Critique me "_"

Thanks

Manitoulin Island is a pretty boring destination for motorcycling unless you are going to hiking around the area. The interesting bit for bikers is Hwy 6 just south of Espanola. I'd turn around either at Whitefish River Reserve or Little Current and then head back north again.

Also, you've got Manitoulin Island twice (Fri and Sun), that seems like a lot of doubling back, just go straight up to Wawa, then turn around and go through M. Island on the way back down.

5 days seems like a very leisurely ride.

PM'd you this as well, but posting here in case it's helpful to anyone else.
Agree with @Lightcycle - this is a pretty relaxed pace which will allow you to get off the bike and do some interesting stuff.
Thursday Night
  • Toronto
  • Sudbury (HOTEL HERE)
Day 1 Route: Kitchener to Greater Sudbury - 6.5hrs/540km
I took you up to Sudbury instead of Parry Sound, so you can be further along in your route on the first day. This will give you more time to explore on the next day.
Friday
  • Sudbury
Day 2 Route: Greater Sudbury to Manitoulin Island - 5hrs/400km
I've taken you on a loop around the island. Lot's of cool stuff to stop and check out on the island.
Saturday
  • Manitoulin Island
  • ON-129
  • Wawa
Day 3 Route: Manitoulin Island to Wawa 7hrs/560km
It will be over 700km to go from Manitoulin, up the 129 and over to Wawa and then back to SSMarie. So instead, this route above will have you stay overnight in Wawa and then have a really nice day of riding on Day 4.
Sunday
  • Sault Ste. Marie
  • Manitoulin Island
  • Ferry Back
  • Owen Sound (HOTEL HERE)\
Day 4 Route: Wawa to Manitoulin Island 7hrs / 625km
If the timing works and you can catch the late ferry and make it to Tobermory/Wiarton/Owen Sound, then cut out a few of the extra roads I threw in above. If you can't realistically make the late ferry, then stay overnight in Manitoulin Island again and catch the morning ferry. I would highly recommend the out n back to Searchmont resort if you can do it - it's amazing.
Monday
  • Home to Kitchener
Day 5 Route: Manitoulin Island to Kitchener 7hrs / 400km
I added in a few nice detours south of Tobermory if you are not in a rush to get back home.

Have a safe trip!

The chi-cheemaun ferry for the friday I have off is at 5ish so I am thinking about going the other way around

Thursday Night
  • Toronto
  • Parry Sound (HOTEL HERE)

Friday
  • Parry Sound

Saturday

• Manitoulin Island
  • ON-129
  • Wawa

Sunday

• Sault Ste. Marie
  • Manitoulin Island
  • Ferry Back
  • Owen Sound (HOTEL HERE)

Monday
  • Go home

Critique me "_"

Thanks
Buddy of mine just came across the north side of Superior. It appears the govt of Canada has booked every available hotel room from North Bay to the MB border for people on reserves that face forest fire risk. No campsites either, he and his squeeze had to sleep in their cars 2 nights.

Buddy of mine just came across the north side of Superior. It appears the govt of Canada has booked every available hotel room from North Bay to the MB border for people on reserves that face forest fire risk. No campsites either, he and his squeeze had to sleep in their cars 2 nights.

Ah damn .......

I can attest to this. Had to drive from Soo to Thunder Bay today because there was no availability in motels in Wawa/Marathon/Jackfish/Terrace Bay.

If I had a 4ish day trip in mind I'd be heading up to Northey's Bay Road, 507, Glamorgan, 118 to Loop Road, Elephant Lake Road, Barry's Bay then over to Calabogie area on back roads, then spend a day of so in that area and then back to GTA. Much better roads and likely lighter traffic, especially on back roads.

The only good bike road you've listed is 129 and it's a pretty short one at that. Other roads are boring with tons of traffic, so why bother.

There are lot's of links to roads to and from Calabougie area.

I'd probably go to quebec. Anybody been on this road? 1011 Chemin St François to Grand-Mère

Haha, I just Street-View-ed the route to see the pavement quality and this is what turned up on the first click:

parc national.jpg

Looks to be a good motorcycle road! Good find!

I used to play on the 3xx roads to and from Mont Tremblant, (323, 327, 329). Pavement quality is a bit sketchy because Quebec doesn't put money into road maintenance, but some good twisties and great scenery in the mountains. Also a bit closer to the Montreal-side than Shawinigan

Ten bucks?! I don't have that kinda scratch... I didn't know you had to pay just to drive on the road. You sure that fee isn't for actually using the park's amenities?

Ten bucks?! I don't have that kinda scratch... I didn't know you had to pay just to drive on the road. You sure that fee isn't for actually using the park's amenities?
Yeah that’s my understanding. Kinda like Skyline Drive down south - you pay to enter and what you do while there is up to you.

You won't regret the $10 - fabulous pavement and twists. Son and I had a hoot.
Don't go on the weekend tho ...that applies to most twists in S Quebec...you can be tied up for hours in traffic jams tho Mauricie is far enough away from Montreal to be not so bad.

Other Quebec roads can be very iffy for quality and the tar snakes epic enough to have their own road sign.....they are super slippery ....something in the tar they use migrates to the surface - looks like talcum powder and crazy slippy.

of course tons of wildlife ...even saw an otter cross the road and was almost beheaded by a turkey exploding from the bushes along the road. I face planted into the tank and how it missed me I don't know. :eek:

Last edited:
Got lucky and found some places to stay😄

I have a Quebec => New Brunswick trip planned for next year!!

Back
Top Bottom