$300 1993 GS500E Project bike. | GTAMotorcycle.com

$300 1993 GS500E Project bike.

GVH

OK been a while since I've had a GS500. Couldn't resist this project bike. Actually it's BoyoBoy's fault for pointing out to me. The story I was given. Purchased and driven for 3 years no problems. 4th year hard starting and running poorly. Rebuilt used carbs installed at a shop started better but running problems. Seemed to dies once it warmed up. Then backfired only. Uncle gave her a free Ninja 600 GS put in storage.

So far if you try to start the bike it cranks good and then a big backfire out exhaust. I did a comp test on the bike. Plugs out but didn't crank throttle. 130 and 135. booster pack on battery and wide open throttle 140 and 150. Solid 150 plus on both with a bit of oil in cylinders. I then pulled carbs to see how nasty they might be after storage. Very clean but one jet bad a stripped head. Even with drained cleaned up carbs squirting gogo juice in the air box backfires only. I now have the valve cover off but need to get feeler gauges and review test procedure. Also battery started to smoke on the 2 amp charger so it's pooched.

WCNf909.gif

LrecTP9.gif

O5QP1Yj.gif

limRJUH.gif

Running 1989 parts bike.
hKx5IKU.gif

A 1993 is not a project. That's just trying to fix a neglected pile of junk.
And the battery was starting to smoke? Never let the smoke out. Especially out of something filled with acid.

A 1993 is not a project. That's just trying to fix a neglected pile of junk.
And the battery was starting to smoke? Never let the smoke out. Especially out of something filled with acid.

The bike was in a non heated carpentry, wood working shop. I think battery froze. Bike also looks like it fell over in storage.

The bike was in a non heated carpentry, wood working shop. I think battery froze. Bike also looks like it fell over in storage.
Check for acid damage from the battery. I have seen a bike completely wrecked from a frozen battery.

GS500s are notorious for problems with the vacuum petcock, but I can't remember if it's across the full run of the bike or only specific years.

I have some spare shims and the valve spoon thingy (okay, *a* valve spoon thingy - it works well, it just takes a bit of fiddling) for this bike, FYI

GS500s are notorious for problems with the vacuum petcock, but I can't remember if it's across the full run of the bike or only specific years.

I have some spare shims and the valve spoon thingy (okay, *a* valve spoon thingy - it works well, it just takes a bit of fiddling) for this bike, FYI

Had to look up what the valve spoon thingy was. I will be getting the feeler gauges this week. My ideas for possible problems are. Valves slightly or badly out of adjustment. Has 39k on it. Electrical problem. Coils or ecu not working correctly hence the 1989 parts bike that happens to run and battery did take a charge. Otherwise a very nasty bike. I also have a third early 90,s GS lined up.

Valve clearance is crucial, GS500s have a tendency to tighten up on the exhaust side and cause just the symptoms you describe.
Check before bothering to go any further.

Just for fun the parts bike. Forgot to take a pic of the top of the gas tank. Owner used a sanding disk and grinder on it for rust removal. Didn't paint it after. Does come with ownership.

OZW9enH.gif

RQKgDlY.gif

M9V3efS.gif

OK General question on Feeler Gauges. service manual says .03-.08 mm for clearances. What are you using and from who. found this on amazon.ca

I just use generic feeler gauges. For some bikes, the bent ones make your life easier. I've never tried the pointy ones like in your link.
Mine (well close enough anyway)
61fMgk41jUL._AC_SL1002_.jpg

Bent
41f8FsJ8KaL._AC_.jpg

OK little more progress. Finally got the feeler gauges of Amazon. Read the manual a few times to figure it out. With a friends help the smallest 0.03 feeler makes it through on all four. This suggests all valves are closing.

OK little more progress. Finally got the feeler gauges of Amazon. Read the manual a few times to figure it out. With a friends help the smallest 0.03 feeler makes it through on all four. This suggests all valves are closing.
That's nice. But what are the specs? Actually, 0.03 is very tight for any clearance. Are you sure you know how to use a feeler gauge?

Specs in the manual are 0.03-0.08 mm So I tried the 0.03 first just to see if they had any space. Looked at the marks on the cams everything correct.

Thinking timing out but rotor only goes one way. Has a notch. So CDI ignitor box bad ? or valves just sticking in guides and head needs to come off. Not sure I want to get into that.

Specs in the manual are 0.03-0.08 mm So I tried the 0.03 first just to see if they had any space. Looked at the marks on the cams everything correct.
I can see 0.03 for intake valves, but if the exhausts are the same, then that would be waaay too tight. I don't know what the specs are, but i would guess the exhaust should be at least 0.08.

Small update I gave up on these sold both to someone else. To many other bikes to work on. Will start a new thread once i get the ownership on the 2001 Shadow Spirit 750.

Back
Top Bottom