3 OPP officers charged, 4 others suspended over towing industry allegations | GTAMotorcycle.com

3 OPP officers charged, 4 others suspended over towing industry allegations

Moderator please delete this post, I didn't realize it was a duplication.

Last edited:
"All three members are suspended with pay."

Why? They committed illegals acts, and get a paid vacation.

Allegations have not been proven in court.
Innocent until proven guilty.
If they are found guilty in court they will likely be fired.
If they are fired they do not have to repay what they made during their suspension.
The Police union is very strong.

If they are fired they do not have to repay what they made during their suspension.

If they are found guilty, what are they looking at, fines, jail, or just no job with lots of pension?

I just hate this kind of stuff, a while back I read a story (out of province, maybe in the US) where a cop ran over a cyclist due to not paying attention. The cop said he was using the in-board computer to track a driver and thus doing his job, a lawyer dug deep and got the cops cell phone records, and found out he was actually texting and driving at the exact time of the incident, not even doing his job. He walked away clean and free.

If they are found guilty, what are they looking at, fines, jail, or just no job with lots of pension?

I just hate this kind of stuff, a while back I read a story (out of province, maybe in the US) where a cop ran over a cyclist due to not paying attention. The cop said he was using the in-board computer to track a driver and thus doing his job, a lawyer dug deep and got the cops cell phone records, and found out he was actually texting and driving at the exact time of the incident, not even doing his job. He walked away clean and free.

It is frustrating, I cannot argue that. Police officers are in a position to enforce rules and should be held to a higher standard than average citizens. They should also have the mentality of ‘lead by example’.
As for what’s going to happen if these officers are found guilty? I really don’t know. Realistically I doubt there will be jail time though. Maybe fines...
I’m also not sure what happens to their pension if they are found guilty.
There is also the possibility of them being found not guilty in court and having to go up against the Police Services Board. They could lose their jobs that way, or possibly be demoted and/or suspended without pay. Completely depends on what evidence is submitted and how good their lawyers are.

American police have federal "Qualified Immunity"
Canadian police work under various police acts.
From the RCMP act:

Immunity​

• 45.5 (1) No criminal, civil or administrative action or proceeding lies against the members, officers or employees of the Commission, or any person acting on behalf or under the direction of the Commission, for anything done, reported or said in good faith in the exercise or purported exercise of any power, or the performance or purported performance of any duty or function, of the Commission or the Chairperson under this Act.
Makes prosecuting anything kinda tricky. First thing, you have to prove "bad faith", THEN you can go on to prove a crime.

These cops charges are different. "secret commissions and breach of trust" are fairly specialized charges, they don't have to prove "bad faith".
I don't see any possible way they could take their pensions.
AFIK the pension ain't that much till you hit 20 yrs. if that's any consolation.

Last edited:
American police have federal "Qualified Immunity"
Canadian police work under various police acts.
From the RCMP act:

Immunity​

Marginal note:protection

• 45.5 (1) No criminal, civil or administrative action or proceeding lies against the members, officers or employees of the Commission, or any person acting on behalf or under the direction of the Commission, for anything done, reported or said in good faith in the exercise or purported exercise of any power, or the performance or purported performance of any duty or function, of the Commission or the Chairperson under this Act.
I am ok with immunity for work conducted in good faith. Personally suing a cop for shooting you while you were shooting at them should not be allowed. Kickbacks from tow truck drivers are not in good faith, therefore that clause would not apply in this situation.

Everything I know about cops I learned from the wire.

Like others, when I heard the story I thought, "So they'll be suspended with pay through the trial and then for several more years until the police board figures out how to fire them." If they are found not guilty the worst they will face is a temporary reduction in rank.

It's ridiculous.

There goes our tax dollars.

****, I should've been a cop. Can act like a high school boys club, bully people, do illegal ****, and still get paid after breaking the rules.

There goes our tax dollars.

****, I should've been a cop. Can act like a high school boys club, bully people, do illegal ****, and still get paid after breaking the rules.

To bring it back down to reality....
If anyone has that sort of attitude they would never pass one of the many psych evaluations.
If you’re not familiar with the process, it is much harder to become a cop than most people realize.

If anyone has that sort of attitude they would never pass one of the many psych evaluations.
If you’re not familiar with the process, it is much harder to become a cop than most people realize.

Doubtful, because anyone with that attitude with a high amount of empathy can put themselves into another persona (that of a brotherhood type cop) and pass, while intentionally scoring lower on analytical parts (did you know cop tests will filter people with high IQs out? lol); check MBTI profiles as there are a few that can pull this off.

I wouldn't make a good cop anyway. If I see **** like that I would make enemies very fast by telling them to stop it....and probably get threatened/blackmailed knowing how the brotherhood of cops work in more rural areas (think GTA is better.....? maybe....? please be better? lol)

Their psych tests aren't hard or proper btw. If they were, we wouldn't see stuff like this all the time.

Navy Seal dude explains, without bashing cops, what's wrong with cops in the South. Who wants a bet that we don't train our cops 20% of the time either?

Last edited:
No doubt.
A fellow I know well worked over 1200 hours in a soup kitchen for public service, had letters of recommendation from a chief of police and also an inspector from another location. Still had extreme difficulty because of his white heritage (yes, I understand the proactive minority hiring procedure, but if those potential hire-es are lacking, why not go with caucasian?).

He lives in Waterloo, was hoping to get placed in KW or London, no dice... got placed in Jane/Finch of Toronto.
Told me many interesting stories....

Back
Top Bottom