3-day trip leaving from Kingston | GTAMotorcycle.com

3-day trip leaving from Kingston

beverage

Any route suggestions for a 3-day trip leaving/returning to Kingston? I'm thinking of heading through the Adirondacks and maybe into Vermont, but if anyone has any route suggestions/good riding roads, I'm all ears.

Take the ferry to cape vincent then on to st marys then further south to williamsport. Can't go wrong with any roads down that way.

I enjoy:

Through Andirondak park east to Lake Placid. Explore that area.
Continue east out of L. Placid past the base of White face Mountain where the Olympics where held twice. Continue about 10 minutes. This is a very scenic and twisty road along a river. And then take the left up past Santa's Village to the Million Dollar Road (toll of about $10). Ride twisty and very scenic road (approx. 2 mikes?) to top of Whiteface Mountain to the castle! Walk through tunnel to elevator and go up 28 stories to where the weather station is. There are lookout binoculars there like at Niagara Falls. Do not get near the edge as there are NO guards rails, ropes..... fall would be over 1/2 km.! Can see Canada from up there.

Then back down and continue east to Lake Chanlmplain. Go.south to tip of lake. Go.east and up and zigzag across Green Mountain National Forest. Unbelieveable sites and roads.

Back to Lake Placid. 1 day circle L.Placid to L. Placid without speeding.
When going down Lake Champlain stay off the major hwy's. Great variety of road and scenic surprises.

On the west side of the lake: HWY 9N/22.
Then at Whitehall go east on HWY 4 at the bottom of the lake (going into Vermont). Then north onto HWY 100, west on 73, north on 53 to 7, then east on 125, then N. on 100, then east on 17 all the way to the Chimney Point ferry.
When returning to Lake Placid you might take a ferry ride across L. Champlain in place of riding down and back up the west side. But then depending on time it is nice. :)

Green Mountain National Forest, from memory, basically stretches north/south parallel to L. Champlain. Up the east side of the forest is HWY 100. Good road. Crossing the forest are 3 roads. Bottom HWY 73, middle HWY 125& top HWY 17. The top one is a must do! I went west, east, then west on the top one then back to a ferry ride in about the middle of L. Champlain at Chimney Point.

I want to go now! Lol.

I will be taking someone on this route soon.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, at the easternmost end of the route, you don't want to miss the Kancamagus highway into or out of Conway, NH. :D

Unfortunately, at the easternmost end of the route, you don't want to miss the Kancamagus highway into or out of Conway, NH. :D

True and I think that is shown on map, but if you're going that far east, might also head up north 100 km and ride to the top of Mount Washington (highest peak in eastern states). Usually a 30 degree Fahrenheit drop from bottom to top of mountain. Its even more impressive than Lake Placid.

And looking at the map you intend to go through Queensbury and Glenns Falls, and so would unfortunately miss Village of Lake George at south end of Lake George by about 25 km. In summer its packed with tourists, and similar to Wasaga Beach but without the sand. Lots of motels, hotels, restaurants, water activity and boats.

And you would also miss Great Sacandaga Lake (on the east half of lake ride the North Shore Road to midpoint of lake, then cross over bridge and finish ride on the west side of lake on the South Road). More curves than any 10 km road in eastern states.

You would also just miss one of the sweetest roads I've ridden with no worries at any speed since there are no houses on it, and that's Tracy Road (County Hwy 6) east of Witherbee, about 25 km.

Last edited:
This is the route we ended up doing. We did it in 3 days. We stayed in Lebanon (D) Friday night, spent too much time going up and down Mount Washington on Saturday (but since we were there, we had to earn the sticker!) and had to take some interstate to reach Burlington (G) by nightfall, then back to Kingston Sunday afternoon. I had to run the extra leg back to Brampton Sunday evening so I could be at work Monday morning. Round trip for me, from Brampton, was 2074 Kms. The roads were decent, and the weather wasn't bad (aside from the ride home Sunday evening), but it would make a better 4-day trip. It was a lot of saddle time to get those kms in over 3 days when going through towns and hitting slower speed roads. A fourth day would have allowed for more time to stop and do some sight-seeing, or just stop and go for a swim at some of the many lakes.

The Thousand Island border crossing was cake in both directions, with no more than a 10 minute wait either way.

DSC_0582.jpg

By the way, the Twisted Throttle DrySpec bags were flawless and very secure. A bit on the big side for my SV, but a good fit on the Storm. Kept my gear dry despite the 3 hour deluge on the way home Sunday evening.

Just my 2 cents.

We did a similar trip back in June with about 10 of us although we didn't go farther east then Lake George.

I personally did not ride the road as it was a bit to wet for me but apparently when you are coming east along highway 8 through Adirondack Park turn south onto highway 10 before you hit Lake Pleasant.

It is an incredibly technical 20 km stretch of road. and you loop back around to connect with highway 30 and still head east.

Back
Top Bottom