2024 BMW R1300GS Leak | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2024 BMW R1300GS Leak

if you want to see something there that doesn't exist, fill your boots.

I don't ride dirt, so i don't know why ANYONE would want more power, not just 'you'; that's why...I asked.

Main reason i didn't go for a 1250GS when I bought my Multistrada (and XR after that) was because the GS was so heavy and "only" made 135ish hp. I had my MTS in the dirt and at 160hp it was just fine in offroad mode (which to be fair limits power).
I dropped my XR off at GP today and looked at some possible replacements if needed. No BMW GS's in there yet but sat on the new MTS V4S and Triumph 1200 Explorer. Both very nice but I'd be much happier in the dirt with say a 690 EnduroR.

Truth.

But then there's the street side of things which you gotta satisfy as well. That's the heart of the conundrum.
That’s the problem, being a wee bit older and wanting to be comfy yet playful on connecting roads. It’s a compromise somewhere.

The original reason the Adventure bike segment was created was to ride long distances on pavement and then have enough off-road capability to go ride dirt in a far-away place. It's was supposed to be a dual-sport with street-manners so you're comfortable on the pavement getting to dirt.
Along the way it segmented alot.

1) We lost snotty little enduros, replaced by a Ninja or CBR with new plastics and 70/30 tires.
2) The unicorn is most likely hiding in the 650-800cc range somewhere around 400lbs.id argue the KLR was the first near unicorn, it was replaced by the Vstrom.
3) The carrier class, 1200+ behemoths, will remain the car equivalent of the Range Rover Defender.

Of course there are exceptions to how bikes are used, and niche brands that on paper and test track might be better - but the bike in a big markets bullseye will always be leaders in dependable and affordability .
That was always the original intent. Adventure TRAVEL. Ride a motorcycle across the roads of Morocco and then veer off into the Sahara Desert. No separate dirt bike involved. No trailering involved.
Perhaps, but it didn't take long for manufacturers to figure out there weren't enough riders interested in that type of adventuring on a motorcycle.

Turns out riders wanted a fat comfortable bike they could ride to the Sahara, take a selfie with their bike and some sand dunes in the background, then head over to Starbucks to share adventures with other riders.
But for riders like me, it would be amazing to have that one unicorn bike, which is both comfortable on and off-pavement. Not for the sake of owning just one bike, but to continuously travel on one without trailering or switching.

I believe the technology exists to create such a bike, but until now the market has been too small. However, as more people get into ADV bikes (as evidenced here on GTAM), I am convinced that eventually, these new riders will want to venture off the asphalt. And when they realize that what they've really bought is a street-bike in dirt bike clothing, they might go shopping for something more worthy of the name "dual-sport"....
I think that's wishing for a Transformer, not a Unicorn. Sadly I don't think you'll ever see that in a mass-production bike.

On a side note, I recently acquired a nearly new 1988 ADV bike, a DR BIG, that might be closer to the unicorn than anything available today. I'm having a ball riding it, my last fill-up was 530km ago and I just hit reserve. Can cruise all day at 130. Not as comfortable as a Vstrom, but with a new seat it would be close. 385lbs dry.

That’s the problem, being a wee bit older and wanting to be comfy yet playful on connecting roads. It’s a compromise somewhere.
I think the definition of Off-road is important.

For me, that's exploring dirt highways, fire roads, hydro cuts, mining & logging roads and maybe a multiuse trail. The same stuff you'd tackle on a 80s Enduro. I need to be handle loose gravel, sand, mud, the odd washout and flooded section. Not going over fuelled trees, climbing or descending 45 degree terrain.

For me it's not atv trails or single track, that's motocross to me. When I did that type of riding, I used an MX bike.

On a side note, I recently acquired a nearly new 1988 ADV bike, a DR BIG, that might be closer to the unicorn than anything available today. I'm having a ball riding it, my last fill-up was 530km ago and I just hit reserve. Can cruise all day at 130. Not as comfortable as a Vstrom, but with a new seat it would be close. 385lbs dry.

Nice!

That 400 lb wet mark is perfect for an all-rounder ADV. 450 max IMO, before inertia affects stopping and turning prowess.

I like what I see. Looks like the most clean-sheet redesign of the GS since the R1150GS->R1200GS update.

They've gone with a modular approach so you can just tick off items off the order list and either get it totally stripped down for dirt or loaded up for pavement travel.

And they also get to charge bucketloads with the itemized approach. Feel bad for the people who want a fully loaded GS because it will probably be double what the base price is.

Only problem is that the waitlist will be miles long for people who want a customized bike. No dealer is going to spec a stripped-down dirt GS for a floor model because nobody wants something like that.

Except me. I should put my order in now for a 2025 model...

The lighter weight and slimmer profile is a great shift in direction, but at 520 lbs, still a bit hefty. Wonder what the next version will bring, if they continue to slash weight and slim the bike further.

I like what I see. Looks like the most clean-sheet redesign of the GS since the R1150GS->R1200GS update.

They've gone with a modular approach so you can just tick off items off the order list and either get it totally stripped down for dirt or loaded up for pavement travel.

And they also get to charge bucketloads with the itemized approach. Feel bad for the people who want a fully loaded GS because it will probably be double what the base price is.

Only problem is that the waitlist will be miles long for people who want a customized bike. No dealer is going to spec a stripped-down dirt GS for a floor model because nobody wants something like that.

Except me. I should put my order in now for a 2025 model...

The lighter weight and slimmer profile is a great shift in direction, but at 520 lbs, still a bit hefty. Wonder what the next version will bring, if they continue to slash weight and slim the bike further.
Current 1250 GS is listed at 549lb and the 1250 GS Adventure is 590lb. 520lbs isn't bad at all imo. Weight weight on a Multi V4 is 529lbs.

Damn, son!

Marketing is good at what they do!

wsM0tVy.jpg

bfNEkI8.jpg

Y7J56nj.jpg

f67NrtG.jpg

Love the base model (white)

Sone interesting tech offed like the new DSA ( semi active suspension adjustment) that not only adjust damping and preload electronically but also adjusts the spring rate automatically

But DSA will not be on the base bike.

Is there an Adventure model offered? Y'know, GSA? Larger fuel tank?

Nice!

That 400 lb wet mark is perfect for an all-rounder ADV. 450 max IMO, before inertia affects stopping and turning prowess.
On the scale she is 369lbs with oil but no fuel. Each gas tank carries 15.25l of fuel (50lbs of fuel when full) so we're up around 430 fully wetted out.

If I was so inclined, I could do a few standard diet things and get her down by 15lbs -- not worried about that.

Last edited:
Current 1250 GS is listed at 549lb and the 1250 GS Adventure is 590lb. 520lbs isn't bad at all imo. Weight weight on a Multi V4 is 529lbs.
Add another 10lbs to the GS. BMW does a sneaky weight calc, they claim an arbitrary 4l of their fuel capacity is 'reserve'. This removes 4l of mass from the Euro Standard wet weight calculations). The GSA just busts the 600lb mark if you include the "reserve" as part of the wet

Don't know if 10lbs makes a whole lot of difference. I'll go ask my wife.

Add another 10lbs to the GS. BMW does a sneaky weight calc, they claim an arbitrary 4l of their fuel capacity is 'reserve'. This removes 4l of mass from the Euro Standard wet weight calculations).

More trickery: the new GS has a fuel capacity of 19L, down from the R1250's fuel tank size of 20L.

That's another 1.6 lbs of wet weight that they cheated off the new bike.

They say the engine is more fuel-efficient and will get the same range as the outgoing bike, but I'll wait for the real-world results to come trickling in from the early adopters. The smaller gas tank does make the bike slimmer, which was another gripe I had about the 1250, so it does even out for me, in my mind.

They moved the transmission from behind the engine to beneath it, which *should* lower the CoG, but I also like that this allowed them to increase swingarm length, to help with traction. Zehr gut!

Well I ordered a new 1300 GS today to replace my 22 1250GSA.I ordered the green one with all the boxes ticked.I really like the changes they have done and will eliminate a few things that I dislike about the GSA .I will do light off roading but my main thing is long distance touring which by GSA excels at as I am sure the new one will too.

Back
Top Bottom