2022 Trip plans? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 Trip plans?

A small group of us are going to do the Charlevoix and Saguenay areas of Quebec in mid-June. I've ridden this area before but it was a long time ago. Looking forward to it!

That's awesome, such a beautiful region. I've booked camp sites in Fjords-du-Saguenay, Monts-Valin and Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie National Parks for this summer to do some moto camping. If you were intending to do that as well, they'll filling up very fast.

Hoping to do a few this year!

Big one will hopefully be an east coast round trip over 10-14 days. Not sure if it will be a Nova Scotia or Newfoundland type affair yet.

Lake superior ride of some sort. Through manitoulin island, up to Wawa and back through Algonquin or something like that.

This is all pending my top end being finished. Still at the machine shop and fingers crossed it wont bankrupt me!

Goal is to see more of Canada, get used to bugs again (haven't camped much since I was a kid), and to get over my fear of bears / large animals when camping... and I still have to invest in a thicker air mattress as i find sleeping on anything other than sand to be excrutiating. I am a lanky side sleeper and my elbows/hips dig into the earth so badly I can never get a nights sleep.
Check out these. I used one for a week last summer and it was great thickness wise. I could lay on my side and NOT have my hip dig into the ground. I'm going with the next size wider though. It felt like my shoulders were off the matt and not supported. Also the fill bag only needed about 6 pumps.

As for bears "outa sight outa mind"

Check out these. I used one for a week last summer and it was great thickness wise. I could lay on my side and NOT have my hip dig into the ground. I'm going with the next size wider though. It felt like my shoulders were off the matt and not supported. Also the fill bag only needed about 6 pumps.

As for bears "outa sight outa mind"

Thermarest was exactly what I was looking at :) Going to compare models and such. The price is hard to swallow, but I need to sleep - so a one time big spend to make that possible will be worth it.

I'm about 6'1, so I'm not sure what length is best to go with. I've read some people are OK with getting a shorter one and just having the feet off of it, or placing your sweater or dirty clothes under your feet or something.

Good to know re width, I'll make sure to get a wide one!

Length. I've spent lots of nights with a shorter thermorest and my feet basically on the ground. I find that quite fine.

That's awesome, such a beautiful region. I've booked camp sites in Fjords-du-Saguenay, Monts-Valin and Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie National Parks for this summer to do some moto camping. If you were intending to do that as well, they'll filling up very fast.

Thanks.
No moto-camping for us.
Our accommodations are booked!

Ride safe!

BC is on my to do (again) list...
I really just enjoy the TCH up through Northern Ontario and yes, even across the prairies...
The real epic-ness though is the BC interior.
I'm in awe whether riding it, driving it or flying over it...

Those going to the Saugenay region make sure Parc Mauricie is on the list....one fantastic road through that park and often not busy during the week.
Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at Feb, 20    2022    9.47.34 PM.jpg
North side of the fjiord is better as well. Mind exploding turkeys :D

Those going to the Saugenay region make sure Parc Mauricie is on the list....one fantastic road through that park and often not busy during the week.
View attachment 53565
North side of the fjiord is better as well. Mind exploding turkeys :D

Thanks @MacDoc!

Do you mean the unmarked white route on your picture above? Or the 155?

Also, when you say north of the fjord do you mean the 172 vs the 170?

@xxrider

Last edited:
Thanks @MacDoc!

@xxrider
I've been doing a lot of reading and planning this trip out as well. You can take the road through La Mauricie which is around $10 (the white unmarked line in MacDoc's post) and then take the 155 up to Saguenay via La Tuque if you like. You can also camp in La Mauricie park, which is what I was hoping to do. Make sure you also ride the 381 between Baie St Paul and Saguenay, because it's supposed to be a stunning ride. Also the east/north side of the Saguenay River (172) apparently has the best views at point #2 below from what I have read.

If you want all the GPS files, I'm happy to share them your way.
This route I've plotted below includes the little roads on either side of the river to check out the views (don't mind the time on this route - that's only so long because I've included going back and forth on the 381, which is 5hrs itself):
1645365948787.png

I've been doing a lot of reading and planning this trip out as well. You can take the road through La Mauricie which is around $10 (the white unmarked line in MacDoc's post) and then take the 155 up to Saguenay via La Tuque if you like. You can also camp in La Mauricie park, which is what I was hoping to do. Make sure you also ride the 381 between Baie St Paul and Saguenay, because it's supposed to be a stunning ride. Also the east/north side of the Saguenay River (172) apparently has the best views at point #2 below from what I have read.

This route I've plotted below includes the little roads on either side of the river to check out the views (don't mind the time on this route - that's only so long because I've included going back and forth on the 381, which is 5hrs itself):
View attachment 53571

Thanks @shanekingsley!

I think we have the 381 covered as we are staying 2 nights in Baie St Paul and doing a couple of day loops from there.

I’ll let you know about the GPS files!

Cheers

Rob

@xxrider

Yes and yes.
Also there is no harm in looping the lake - there are likely some interesting side roads here. 373 looks fine
Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at Feb, 21    2022    6.27.57 AM.jpg

View attachment 53571

Did this trip in 2020 and can confirm that 381 was absolutely mind blowing! Especially on a slightly cloudy day with low hanging clouds over the fall colours & mountains. That road along with the Maurice park are must dos. If you go to Saint-Rose-Du-Nord, you have to find the secret route to the lookout point. Very sketchy but amazing views.

155 was awesome up to La Tuque too

Hoping to do a few this year!

Big one will hopefully be an east coast round trip over 10-14 days. Not sure if it will be a Nova Scotia or Newfoundland type affair yet.

Lake superior ride of some sort. Through manitoulin island, up to Wawa and back through Algonquin or something like that.

This is all pending my top end being finished. Still at the machine shop and fingers crossed it wont bankrupt me!

Goal is to see more of Canada, get used to bugs again (haven't camped much since I was a kid), and to get over my fear of bears / large animals when camping... and I still have to invest in a thicker air mattress as i find sleeping on anything other than sand to be excrutiating. I am a lanky side sleeper and my elbows/hips dig into the earth so badly I can never get a nights sleep.

Chance of seeing a bear is super low. They hear you long before you see them and are long gone. Only time it will ever happen is if you are careless with your food.

Chance of seeing a bear is super low. They hear you long before you see them and are long gone. Only time it will ever happen is if you are careless with your food.
And even that is iffy. We travel in bear country and are, to be nice, lax with how we handle food. Seen the bear scat but never the bear.

Back
Top Bottom