2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!)

Really hope they're just testing out and evaluating new parts, or, hopefully, just "keeping their powder dry."
The Qatar test is usually for durability and while it gives some sense of who is feeling good, the real hot laps probably won't kick in until the Jerez test next week...

That's a really poor assessment of the situation with COVID, and crashlow while a more active rider was still not as good as he was in his last year at Ducati. His only year at Honda was a mess but he set a time comparable to the race lap record at Sepang on his first test out for Yamaha. And to be honest, I think Fabio benefited a great deal from JLO's injput on the bike, and could have won the title had Yamaha not been so severally impacted.

Granted, JLO failed on trying to keep fit but who here is really going to fault a guy for staying at home during a pandemic?
He was an awful test rider. That's okay, doesn't reflect poorly on his race career, but he was still awful at the job and then made a poor spectacle of himself when he was replaced. If he wasn't awful, he'd be doing more than chirping from the sidelines. And to be fair, apparently Stoner wasn't a good test rider either. It's a job where ego needs to be put aside, and not all riders can do that. Pedrosa seems to have the trust of KTM, and isn't going to ***** about riding whatever they hand him or get stroppy because his lap times appear slow...

I hate to break it you but just like Doohan before him, the Worlds best riders are not going to be very chummy; it's just not in their nature which is what makes them exceptional talent, they refuse to compromise at ANYTHING are competeive about everything and will ***** and moan about litterly anything under the sun. And JLO was an extreme case of that to be honest.
I wouldn't put Doohan in the same category as Lorenzo. Doohan would eat him for lunch (as would Roberts Sr, Lawson or Rainey). Difference with Doohan is he wasn't bothered about other riders if it didn't affect him, and he certainly never came off as a petulant child. Angry dad, maybe...

This also goes to show the PR machine surrounding professional motorsports does pay off, I can tell you from experience a lot of the guys I met throughout the years in various categories of motorsports are more like Casey Stoner and Kimi Räikkönen than you think and only pretend to be otherwise for sponsorship deals and money.
I don't think I'd like to spend time with most racers (or most professional athletes, for that matter), but I can be a fan of their approach on and off track, how they treat competitors in public, and go by their reputation with those who deal with them day-to-day in the paddock. It's one of the reasons I really like Pedrosa. He got a lot of stick for being robotic and emotionless (when he was actually just shy), and particularly came in for a lot of abuse from Hayden fans for a variety of reasons, but he kept his head up, did his job, and never, ever complained. Shame he was so fragile...

With that said, as a non professional or even amateur racer on 2 wheels if you cannot appreciate JLO's precision and accuracy on the bike when he is on form, I think you need to spend more time on the track and take a good look at your own results: those times come from a super human level amount of skill and talent on top of obsessive dedication: JLO was manically obsessed about every detail (on and off the bike) during his Yamaha days and its well documented. Were his races as exciting as Marc's, no... not even close to be honest, though 2019 was close... but that is just like saying vanilla sucks because it's not chocolate. It's just different but amazing nonetheless.
It's like saying I don't like white chocolate, because I don't, and neither do a lot of other people! Some people love the stuff, but I really don't understand why...

As I said above, what Lorenzo could do on a good day was hugely impressive. I'm not questioning his talent at that time under those circumstances. The ability to reel off lap after lap of near exact copies (often breaking the field behind him) was a perfect match for that stable, mid-apex high-corner-speed bike and those Bridgestone tires that liked to stay hooked up. I just don't like watching that particular flavour of racing. I think it's a bit dull and robotic, and I'd rather see guys get out of shape, burn up tires and lose pace (letting the pack catch back up), or react to the bike in visible ways, having to be physical and aggressive. To put it another way, I'd rather watch a boxer than a ballerina...

It's okay if you're a Lorenzo fan. I won't hold it against you ;). But you have to see that the broad consensus from across the paddock is that he is coming off very poorly in these 'handbags at dawn' squabbles...

(Believe me, I get it. As I said, I've been a fan of Pedrosa since he won the 250 championship in his rookie year. I spent a lot of time seeing abuse from Hayden fans and folks who confused Puig's grouchy attitude with Pedrosa's. Other folks really didn't like him because he is so small, and they seemed to fear GP riders turning into jockeys where size mattered as much as talent.)

It's okay if you're a Lorenzo fan. I won't hold it against you ;). But you have to see that the broad consensus from across the paddock is that he is coming off very poorly in these 'handbags at dawn' squabbles...
Lin Jarvis was open to having him come back, he went on record saying his door was always open to Jorge. Motorsports attracts hotheads, with adrenaline addictions (its why I always felt at home there) which is why a calm guy like Danny or now Franco stand out so much, so it makes sense JLO with his personality issues would piss off so many.

Not least of which: Danny Pedrosa, who he had a near blood feud with for most of his career which made for exciting racing back then in all the categories into GP. And it may also be what is giving your this anti-JLO bias. I admit I'm hard on Rossi, mainly because he represents the part I like least of motorsports: PR matters more than talent. Cult of personality sells more bikes and gear on Monday more than race wins or championships unfortuantely, which is why Rossi is still around.

And while its undeniable that Rossi's early career was with lesser talent than what is on the grid now, even wtitout Marc, that in no way invalidates how cut-throat he could be back then (Casey Stoner overtake at Laguna being a prime example) when he sensed a victory which made so many of you fans of his, which sadly he would later accuse Marc of 'ruining the sport' when the tables were turned.

With that said, I can understand that dilemma and I'm less a fan of Lorenzo and more of a fan of his talent as I can 'separate the man from his art/craft' after doing the rounds in several paddocks. You wouldn't imagine the amount of guys with extraordinary talents I've met in my life from all walks who ended up being absolute cunts in real life, and I'm open to the idea that some have felt that way about me, too. Which is why I empathize with a guy like JLO, I don't like him or his social media attention whoring/seeking nor his bitterness for being replaced at Yamaha by the guy who crashes more than I've seen in a long time in any premier class of motorsports, but that doesn't undo his success in the pre-Marquez alien era, and still remains the only guy to take a title away from Marc when he completed an entire season. Which given the talent on the grid speaks for itself.

I'm hear to be entertained with talented and skilled riders doing things I could never think possible on death machines that go over 200mph, which is why I'm a Marc fan. I'm not into pretending how cool it'd be some rider's pal--nor do I follow them on social media in hopes they recognize me, either.

This is another reason i never even respected Dovi, the guy was too soft to be a competitive racer at the highest level, and Petrux knew that too but could make the disticntion between on track battles and real life. Dovi never could, he always took it personally and other than his 2 seasons with Marc he never did any thing worth discussing in his entire career despite being on the best bikes for most of his career.

Last edited:
Thursday test times

Yamaha1,2,3. Rossi also top 10 but slowest Yamaha (I suspect that will be constant this season)

Suzukis moving up slowly and steadily

Ducati and Honda are up and down.

Aprilia with Espargaro are still in top 10 but they've been slowly falling each session.

KTM still nowhere to be seen up top.

Again, this is testing so YMMV...

Thursday test times

Yamaha1,2,3. Rossi also top 10 but slowest Yamaha (I suspect that will be constant this season)

Suzukis moving up slowly and steadily

Ducati and Honda are up and down.

Aprilia with Espargaro are still in top 10 but they've been slowly falling each session.

KTM still nowhere to be seen up top.

Again, this is testing so YMMV...
This gives a lot more insight than just looking at fastest lap:

Doesn't change a huge amount, but the average laps flatter Pol more than best lap, for example, while Morbidelli's consistency wasn't ideal.

Either way, not everyone is chasing hot laps, so it's definitely only a partial story. Yamaha does look good (must be Crashlow :LOL:), and Aleix is actually sticking with the top crowd. He actually improved from yesterday, and is consistently top 6 in both fastest lap and average lap.

Lastly, that Ducati motor is something else. Top 5 spots, and a 10 km/h advantage over the Yamahas on the straight.

Lin Jarvis was open to having him come back, he went on record saying his door was always open to Jorge. Motorsports attracts hotheads, with adrenaline addictions (its why I always felt at home there) which is why a calm guy like Danny or now Franco stand out so much, so it makes sense JLO with his personality issues would piss off so many.

Not least of which: Danny Pedrosa, who he had a near blood feud with for most of his career which made for exciting racing back then in all the categories into GP. And it may also be what is giving your this anti-JLO bias. I admit I'm hard on Rossi, mainly because he represents the part I like least of motorsports: PR matters more than talent. Cult of personality sells more bikes and gear on Monday more than race wins or championships unfortuantely, which is why Rossi is still around.

And while its undeniable that Rossi's early career was with lesser talent than what is on the grid now, even wtitout Marc, that in no way invalidates how cut-throat he could be back then (Casey Stoner overtake at Laguna being a prime example) when he sensed a victory which made so many of you fans of his, which sadly he would later accuse Marc of 'ruining the sport' when the tables were turned.

With that said, I can understand that dilemma and I'm less a fan of Lorenzo and more of a fan of his talent as I can 'separate the man from his art/craft' after doing the rounds in several paddocks. You wouldn't imagine the amount of guys with extraordinary talents I've met in my life from all walks who ended up being absolute cunts in real life, and I'm open to the idea that some have felt that way about me, too. Which is why I empathize with a guy like JLO, I don't like him or his social media attention whoring/seeking nor his bitterness for being replaced at Yamaha by the guy who crashes more than I've seen in a long time in any premier class of motorsports, but that doesn't undo his success in the pre-Marquez alien era, and still remains the only guy to take a title away from Marc when he completed an entire season. Which given the talent on the grid speaks for itself.

I'm hear to be entertained with talented and skilled riders doing things I could never think possible on death machines that go over 200mph, which is why I'm a Marc fan. I'm not into pretending how cool it'd be some rider's pal--nor do I follow them on social media in hopes they recognize me, either.

This is another reason i never even respected Dovi, the guy was too soft to be a competitive racer at the highest level, and Petrux knew that too but could make the disticntion between on track battles and real life. Dovi never could, he always took it personally and other than his 2 seasons with Marc he never did any thing worth discussing in his entire career despite being on the best bikes for most of his career.
I didn't think I could find someone who was wordier than me on forums. All I can say is chapeau, sir. I bow to your love of typing.

Lastly, that Ducati motor is something else. Top 5 spots, and a 10 km/h advantage over the Yamahas on the straight.

S'always been like that.

How does it stop and turn? --- That's the way races are won...

I remember the days when Melandri on the Duc always topped the sheets in terms of top recorded speed down the straightaway. Easily 15 km/h above the rest of the field.

And he'd end up dead last in the same race...

And Stoner would be on the top step...

S'always been like that.

I remember the days when Melandri on the Duc always topped the sheets in terms of top recorded speed down the straightaway. Easily 15 km/h above the rest of the field.

Of course, except Miller's time from yesterday is still the fastest of the four days so far. To be fair, Losail is a track that rewards a good top speed. Sachsenring would be a different story. Jerez is next, which is a very 'Yamaha' track, so I'd expect them to stay near the top there...

This gives a lot more insight than just looking at fastest lap:

Doesn't change a huge amount, but the average laps flatter Pol more than best lap, for example, while Morbidelli's consistency wasn't ideal.

Either way, not everyone is chasing hot laps, so it's definitely only a partial story. Yamaha does look good (must be Crashlow :LOL:), and Aleix is actually sticking with the top crowd. He actually improved from yesterday, and is consistently top 6 in both fastest lap and average lap.

No doubt.

I wished Dorna would put more effort like this rather than just fastest times.

Again though - testing, so how many laps are legit vs sandbagging - who knows.

S'always been like that.

Melandri on the Ducati was a modern day tragedy.

I still remember when they tried to hire Melandri a psychologist when he was so far off the pace that year.

Last edited:
I didn't think I could find someone who was wordier than me on forums. All I can say is chapeau, sir. I bow to your love of typing.
and a tip of the hat from here also !
always enjoy the V's read..
even though he cheers for vinales lol- Dang, that might come back to bite me..

really really liking suzuki !

Good news, I want to see out of the mid pack by Portimao so much more riding time is always welcomed, anyone got any odds at the bookies for a Marc 2021 championship? I wanted to bet on Mir last year but couldn't anywhere to take my bet (US based), I think if Marc's odds are at 30:1 + I'd take that bet and eat the loss if he just finishes the season healthier for next year.

Also worth noting, he is already testing the strength of his R arm from the get go, that hard lean on his right elbow is completely Marquez style. Also, what track is this, Jerez?

Edit: It's Montmelo, recap video:

Last edited:
Good news, I want to see out of the mid pack by Portimao so much more riding time is always welcomed, anyone got any odds at the bookies for a Marc 2021 championship? I wanted to bet on Mir last year but couldn't anywhere to take my bet (US based), I think if Marc's odds are at 30:1 + I'd take that bet and eat the loss if he just finishes the season healthier for next year.

Also worth noting, he is already testing the strength of his R arm from the get go, that hard lean on his right elbow is completely Marquez style. Also, what track is this, Jerez?

Edit: It's Montmelo, recap video:

Good luck getting 30:1 on Marquez. If you do, let us know, as I want in on that action. I'd be surprised if he was any longer than 6:1 unless solid news comes out that he won't be fit for a long time.

He's definitely got his lean angle going, but I'd imagine he'll be struggling most under braking and corner entry. Until he's somewhere that times are provided, it's impossible to know his pace. Even if he is fit, fear of re-injury through crashing might damp his previous willingness to toe the line of grip. I'd love to see a season with him back but a bit slower, and a few consistent top riders able to stay near the top for a proper championship battle. 2020 was a bit too random for me, I prefer to see some sort of cream rising to the top...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom