2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!)

Aprilia added. Looks like the factory Aprilia livery again this year. Interesting looking front elements - pretty aggressively large.
From the Gabro Racing Insta feed:

Screenshot_20210304-162149_Instagram.jpg
(Uguale means 'equal', but I think ugly also applies)

I am now wondering what will happen with the Gresini outfit. Aprilia was going to apply for its own seat licence, moving away from Gresini

Gresini was hinting at new plans forthcoming. But now that he's passed away, I wonder if the team will continue at all.
They highlighted the Team Gresini logo in the releases, and showed some photos with 'Fausto' on the front wing in place of Aprilia. I suspect they will carry on as is for a bit, maybe folding some of the team into a true factory outfit. They're making all the right noises about bike development again, but they did the same last year and it was a catastrophe.

Other news is that Lorenzo Savadori is getting the second spot, with Bradley Smith getting bounced. Either way, they don't have riders who are likely to make magic happen...

All that Fausto love is all PR stuff, which is well and good, but yeah, the most logical progression is that Aprilia will likely buy the Gresini MotoGP team (whatever that would look like) minimizing that transition to a full factory team.

For a 'factory' team, I would have expected a better rider than Savadori. Smith is better for sure - but I think there is even better talent in that would have come up willing to ride the Aprilia (assuming Aprilia would be willing to buy their contracts - I am thinking Lorenzo Baldasarri)

That team is going to have a rough go at the back of the field this year.

For a 'factory' team, I would have expected a better rider than Savadori. Smith is better for sure - but I think there is even better talent in that would have come up willing to ride the Aprilia (assuming Aprilia would be willing to buy their contracts - I am thinking Lorenzo Baldasarri)
I'm not sure Smith was a huge improvement, mostly a case of least worst. I suspect Savadori is cheap, too.

B rider on an uncompetitive team is a tough sell for anyone with talent. Young kids don't want to derail their careers, so they're stuck with old hands past their prime just happy to still be on the MotoGP grid.

That team is going to have a rough go at the back of the field this year.
To be honest, I don't understand why they gave up on World Superbikes for GP racing, especially as their niche of 250's got tossed for spec racing. Noale is just too small of a shop to compete at the top level. I'd prefer to see them compete with Kawasaki at the sharp end of a lesser series than play backmarker at the top level...

Savadori was selected for for sure because he has a small contract. I think he was already contracted via his Italian Superbike contract, but i am not too sure.

In terms of young riders, there are a number of moto2 riders that I would say are more talented than Savadori, but are not likely to have a motogp career for a variety of reasons, mainly boiling down to lack of opportunities. I think a guy Baldasarri is unlikely to find his way up to MotoGP unless he has a fantastic year this year - he regressed last year, but is still a race winner in Moto2. I think Balda would take the ride since I don't really see any other GP opportunities for him on the horizon.

As to why Aprilia left WSBK to come to MotoGP, it must have to do with exposure in the Italian market. WSBK is a distant second to MotoGP in popularity there. Also, maybe there still is some corporate hubris there with their dominance at the 125cc and 250cc levels. They count all those as part of their 'world titles' advertising.

Got my Fireblade out today and when I got home I had all the SpaceX launches, WRC and MotoGP videos waiting for me!
Nice catch up videos:

Remember to get your yearly donation for JC if you can, as I just saw he posted the After the Flag videos, too!

B rider on an uncompetitive team is a tough sell for anyone with talent. Young kids don't want to derail their careers, so they're stuck with old hands past their prime just happy to still be on the MotoGP grid.

This is the issue with modern motorsports dominated by sponsorship money and not talent alone: the idea of a Cal, Pol or even a a Dovi given many seasons before delivering results being the norm back then is now almost entirely unheard of since Marc's domination era (and Vettel and Hamilton in F1) and this an entire disservice to all of us as spectators as we want more talent to mature and refine instead of disposing them before they get their footing.

It's entirely unlikely to have another Marc in GP and given his past dominance it's not good for the spectacle as last year proved the most exciting in memory.

The only rider I can think of that has been allowed to do this since the aforementioned riders are Taka and I guess Rins, and most of that may be because Ianone was such a PITA for Suzuki and they had develop the bike and Mir got hurt. Mav also got a win his first season before heading over to Yamaha. Fabio is kind of in there, too... but he was destroying Franco on an older chassis so that doesn't really count.

Last edited:
Qatar Day One Test Times in:

It's testing though so take that for what it's worth
I'll take it! It's meaningless, as lots of teams will be working out durability, race pace, etc, but seeing an Aprilia atop the final times for any MotoGP session is a rare treat. The fact that Aleix's time is under the race lap record at least bodes well for genuine improvement of the bike, though I wasn't following closely enough to know if they were running hot laps or race simulations...

So I saw, with KTM and the actual Honda riders (all but Bradl) going very slow. Not sure if that's a problem or just them working on things beyond qualifying pace...

ok, I am not smart at this stuff. Is the bike the problem, or is it Rossi? Is his riding style and stature incompatible with the Yamaha? I don't hear the other riders complain about this issue (now that could be largely that they are not asked as frequently)

Either way, it's already looking like it's going to be a long year for him.

ok, I am not smart at this stuff. Is the bike the problem, or is it Rossi? Is his riding style and stature incompatible with the Yamaha? I don't hear the other riders complain about this issue (now that could be largely that they are not asked as frequently)

Either way, it's already looking like it's going to be a long year for him.

At least this year they will have a test rider who isn't out of shape and slow...

At least this year they will have a test rider who isn't out of shape and slow...
That particular d**khead is now chirping everyone from the sidelines on social media. He was a dull, robotic rider to watch, and was broadly disliked in the paddock. He reminds me of that shi**y kid who'd rather irritate and get attention than be ignored...

That particular d**khead is now chirping everyone from the sidelines on social media. He was a dull, robotic rider to watch, and was broadly disliked in the paddock. He reminds me of that shi**y kid who'd rather irritate and get attention than be ignored...

Kind of wish he was still racing, I know he was not competitive on the Honda but it seems like he just gave up. His personality could have also played into this as I don't know what other team had space or even wanted him.
Would've been nice to have him in the running again with all the other new dogs.

edit: have to add I do hate his guts as a person though. douchey entitled punk.

could be, but I have to admit I laughed at his assessment of AEspargaro

Kind of wish he was still racing,
Not me. I didn't care for most JLo wins: leap out to an early lead and like clockwork set almost the same lap time in the last lap as the second lap. Hugely impressive for the consistency, but not so fun to watch. It was a continuation of the 250 style with high corner speeds and keeping the bike in shape at all times. He was a perfect match for that Yamaha and those Bridgestones at that time, but I'm not nostalgic for more of the same. Dull as watching him crush the field became, at least Marquez did it spectacularly, with endless WTF moments where he seemed to achieve the impossible...

could be, but I have to admit I laughed at his assessment of AEspargaro

It's a bit unfair, though. Aleix wouldn't be my first choice on an Aprilia, but he's done lots of hard work developing bikes and making the best out of uncompetitive machines. Not being on a factory Honda or Yamaha makes wins hard to come by.

While what he said may be true, it's just more of the same from a guy whose only ally is that yappy muppet Iannone. It's possible to be prickly without tearing others down, a la Doohan and Stoner.

It's a bit unfair, though. Aleix wouldn't be my first choice on an Aprilia, but he's done lots of hard work developing bikes and making the best out of uncompetitive machines. Not being on a factory Honda or Yamaha makes wins hard to come by.

I will give you that he does a good job competing in the pack when he has subpar machinery.

My counterpoint to that though is that he was on a competitive bike at Suzuki and was easily outshined by Maverick Vinales, particularly in 2016. He should have had more success than what he had (Maverick won a race and captured 3 podiums; Espargaro did not podium).

Also, in spite of his ability to compete on subpar machinery, very few other riders are able to sustain themselves in the premier class with such a record of relative futility. Racing is not fair, but his record and sustainability is the exception to the rule. Riders with better records have been ousted faster. In recent memory, I am thinking of Stefan Bradl, Cal Crutchlow, Tito Rabat as examples.

Last edited:
Not me. I didn't care for most JLo wins: leap out to an early lead and like clockwork set almost the same lap time in the last lap as the second lap. Hugely impressive for the consistency, but not so fun to watch. It was a continuation of the 250 style with high corner speeds and keeping the bike in shape at all times. He was a perfect match for that Yamaha and those Bridgestones at that time, but I'm not nostalgic for more of the same. Dull as watching him crush the field became, at least Marquez did it spectacularly, with endless WTF moments where he seemed to achieve the impossible...

good point, it was just nice to have someone else in the running for the championship at least instead of just tuning in to see who gets 2nd and 3rd. but his style was very boring to watch and probably why he was unsuccessful at ducati and honda.

Mixed bag again but Factory Yamaha is moving up. Still no sight of KTM.
Really hope they're just testing out and evaluating new parts, or, hopefully, just "keeping their powder dry."

That's a really poor assessment of the situation with COVID, and crashlow while a more active rider was still not as good as he was in his last year at Ducati. His only year at Honda was a mess but he set a time comparable to the race lap record at Sepang on his first test out for Yamaha. And to be honest, I think Fabio benefited a great deal from JLO's injput on the bike, and could have won the title had Yamaha not been so severally impacted.

Granted, JLO failed on trying to keep fit but who here is really going to fault a guy for staying at home during a pandemic?

I hate to break it you but just like Doohan before him, the Worlds best riders are not going to be very chummy; it's just not in their nature which is what makes them exceptional talent (at one thing), they refuse to compromise at ANYTHING are competeive about everything and will ***** and moan about litterly anything under the sun. And JLO was an extreme case of that to be honest.

This also goes to show the PR machine surrounding professional motorsports does pay off, I can tell you from experience a lot of the guys I met throughout the years in various categories of motorsports are more like Casey Stoner and Kimi Räikkönen than you think and only pretend to be otherwise for sponsorship deals and money. I've partied with some of them at a very young age during Redbull events or at SEMA outside the track when I was still in my teen years in 4 wheel motorsports and some when out their way to make others look bad in public for seemingly no reason than 'f that guy' it really opened my eyes to what these guys are like--many of them are children from affluent families that will remain spoiled, immature children until they die as they never grew up because they could make a piece of metal go really fast around a race track and sometimes not crash it in the process.

Personally speaking, I was in motorsports for the experience (I was never going to make a career of it outside of fabrication/sales) and started relatively late (16) but by my 20s I knew this was a man-child's fantasy World of make-believe and guys like JLO are the norm, not the exception--things got worse due to social media in my opinion.

I got into altercations with guys with fragile egos overcompensating for their lack of results/talent over seemingly nothing and I just laughed it off (which often made thngs worse) as I knew that this would be the most significant thing they'd ever contribute to Society/World/Species, which if you really think about it is pretty pathetic: Motorsports is at its core just a convoluted advertisement and PR campaign to sell stuff except, and not always, a couple of hours on Sunday.

After a while this made me lose interest it in entirely as you can lose so much time and money trying to win over people in some endless political in-battling on a team for little to no return.

With that said, as a non professional or even amateur racer on 2 wheels if you cannot appreciate JLO's precision and accuracy on the bike when he is on form, I think you need to spend more time on the track and take a good look at your own results: those times come from a super human level amount of skill and talent on top of obsessive dedication: JLO was manically obsessed about every detail (on and off the bike) during his Yamaha days and its well documented. Were his races as exciting as Marc's, no... not even close to be honest, though 2019 was close... but that is just like saying vanilla sucks because it's not chocolate. It's just different but amazing nonetheless.

Would I want to hang out with JLO, no, not really... he seems like the typical guy I mentioned before who would have little to no insight about about the World or much other than what he portrays his image to me, which apparently now in retirement includes some odd social media influencer that sings on TV instead of trying to get fit for another shot at a Yamaha test rider slot or come out of retirement for a spot at Ducati.

And to be honest, I'd rather hang out with Marc and Alex Marquez as they seem like genuinely grounded guys from a small town having fun at the highest level of their category if I had my choice. They honestly remind of the neighborhood kids I'd play as a kid that you knew were super talented but refused to take things too seriously unless it was for a reason. Alex messing around in the off season was actually kind of a good look into who he was, instead of just Marc's little brother. And while I still think Zarco should have gotten that 2nd HRC ride alongside Marc, it was still cool to see Alex get those podiums last season.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom