2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!) | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!)

NBC is televising the last 2 races of the season. Set your PVR.

Portimao is today at 12:00pm

Valencia is next Sunday at 2:30pm

2d53623595eeaf618a3a7b3de99b91bf.jpg

e06b08750725e989fe64358916380b6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet, thanks! Now where can I stream NBC for free?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Not much of a race this time, aside from a potential battle for third that got nixed by the red flag. Poor Alex...

Quartararo had a nightmare weekend, and for the first time, appeared to have caught the affliction of all the other Yamahas: can't get away from the Ducatis with their straightline speed. Curious if it's a one-off or if Yamaha has some work to do to find more speed in the offseason. The fact that they were still in the team and constructor championships at this stage shows just how steady Fabio has been to date...

Bagnaia looked incredible, and didn't put a foot wrong all weekend. He's definitely found something with that Ducati, whether it's just a bit more confidence or a good baseline. I'd love to see him with this pace from the beginning of the season.

Daryn Binder did Acosta a favour, torpedoing Foggia in his grand style. There seems to be a general sense of confusion in the paddock as to quite how he managed to get a MotoGP ride next year. Hopefully he can find a way to manage himself, or it could get ugly.

KTM is totally in the weeds. Considering their bike is modeled on the Honda, I figured they'd find some speed as Honda has improved. But they have just been awful, nowhere near competitive. Considering Oliviera's track knowledge at Portimao, it has to be the bike. Lecuona found some sporadic speed, but it was obviously at the ragged edge considering his crashes. Curious what 2022 will bring for them.

One to go. It's been a fun season, sorry it'll be over so soon...

Not much of a race this time, aside from a potential battle for third that got nixed by the red flag. Poor Alex...

Quartararo had a nightmare weekend, and for the first time, appeared to have caught the affliction of all the other Yamahas: can't get away from the Ducatis with their straightline speed. Curious if it's a one-off or if Yamaha has some work to do to find more speed in the offseason. The fact that they were still in the team and constructor championships at this stage shows just how steady Fabio has been to date...

Bagnaia looked incredible, and didn't put a foot wrong all weekend. He's definitely found something with that Ducati, whether it's just a bit more confidence or a good baseline. I'd love to see him with this pace from the beginning of the season.

Daryn Binder did Acosta a favour, torpedoing Foggia in his grand style. There seems to be a general sense of confusion in the paddock as to quite how he managed to get a MotoGP ride next year. Hopefully he can find a way to manage himself, or it could get ugly.

KTM is totally in the weeds. Considering their bike is modeled on the Honda, I figured they'd find some speed as Honda has improved. But they have just been awful, nowhere near competitive. Considering Oliviera's track knowledge at Portimao, it has to be the bike. Lecuona found some sporadic speed, but it was obviously at the ragged edge considering his crashes. Curious what 2022 will bring for them.

One to go. It's been a fun season, sorry it'll be over so soon...

Yamaha cannot catch up - they need to be at the front to win. Ducati appear to be the only bike that can make up for poor qualifying to challenge for race wins.

Bagnaia is now in the top 5 of racing talent in the world.

The rumour is that Darryn Binder has a contract with Razlan Razali that went through 2022 - the idea was that he was either going to remain in Moto3 or move up to Moto2 with the SRT team, but now that that team has vaporized, the only option that does not include buying the contract out is to put him in the MotoGP seat (he must have a contract with Razali directly rather than the SRT team). To be it's the only reasonable explanation for it. Jake Dixon or Xavi Vierge would have been more appropriate given their experience with bike displacement bikes. I think Binder will be ok ultimately, but he is going to have a BIG spotlight on him, so he will get (unfairly?) crucified if/when he makes a mistake taking another rider out.

I don't understand what happened to KTM - I thought they found something when Oliviera had his consecutive podiums, but they fell off a cliff again.

It's going to be very interesting to see what 2022 bikes will be like now that the engine development freeze has been lifted.

I don't understand what happened to KTM - I thought they found something when Oliviera had his consecutive podiums, but they fell off a cliff again.

It's going to be very interesting to see what 2022 bikes will be like now that the engine development freeze has been lifted.
From all the stuff I've read online, it appears that the KTM just cannot use the new front tire carcass that Michelin switched to. I believe they sorted their bike bang-on-the-money for what Michelin was giving them... then Michelin changed the tire.

As for engine freeze being lifted, I'm not sure what can really be accomplished by the v4 companies.
Aprilia - maybe a bit more top end..
Ducati - who knows. Motor's already pretty much the best one on the grid
Honda - Smoothness maybe?
Suzuki - More power please.
Yamaha - Same as Suzuki. More power please.

But, remember.. I know nothing but what's godawful obvious...

Yamaha cannot catch up - they need to be at the front to win. Ducati appear to be the only bike that can make up for poor qualifying to challenge for race wins.
This is mostly true, but for most of this year Quartararo has been the exception. He's made lots of moves stick and held off the Duc's in the straights up to last weekend, even from further back on the grid when he's had poor starts. Cold doesn't seem to be the Yamaha's friend, whether it's from air temp or rain, and it seems to undo whatever front-heavy setup is working for Fabio that lets him brake so deep...

Bagnaia is now in the top 5 of racing talent in the world.
Agreed, though he'll have to translate that to next year for it to stick and for Ducati to start fine tuning the bike to his preferences. Their problem all year has been different front-runners poaching points off each other. With Zarco, Martin and Miller all being Top Duck at various points, they haven't been able to settle on a number one guy for a full season. As it stands, Bagnaia looks like he's growing in confidence and learning from his mistakes, so can maybe start the season strong next year. He'll have 7 other Ducatis to help/hinder...

The rumour is that Darryn Binder has a contract with Razlan Razali that went through 2022 - the idea was that he was either going to remain in Moto3 or move up to Moto2 with the SRT team, but now that that team has vaporized, the only option that does not include buying the contract out is to put him in the MotoGP seat (he must have a contract with Razali directly rather than the SRT team). To be it's the only reasonable explanation for it. Jake Dixon or Xavi Vierge would have been more appropriate given their experience with bike displacement bikes. I think Binder will be ok ultimately, but he is going to have a BIG spotlight on him, so he will get (unfairly?) crucified if/when he makes a mistake taking another rider out.
Yep, though with the power struggle between Stigefelt and Razali, it was unclear who he was contracted to and what was committed to Binder. Either way, the confusion is more around how Binder lucked into a top class ride over many more deserving candidates. (It's also nuts just how many brothers are on the grid lately, between the Espargaros, the Marini/Rossis, the Marquez's, and now the Binders.) As for being watched closely, that's the cost of repeatedly riding dangerously. There's nothing unfair about the reputation he's built for himself.

From all the stuff I've read online, it appears that the KTM just cannot use the new front tire carcass that Michelin switched to. I believe they sorted their bike bang-on-the-money for what Michelin was giving them... then Michelin changed the tire.
My understanding is it was a tire Michelin had actually stopped bringing, but that was very early in the season. They found speed in the middle of the year before the summer break, which was widely attributed to a new chassis they'd built, but disappeared after the break (aside from Binder's freak/lucky win). Spec tires will always favour some bikes over others, but KTM just couldn't fix things like Honda (sort of) has. Building a bike for one tire is not ideal: look how often the other manufacturers switch compounds...

As for engine freeze being lifted, I'm not sure what can really be accomplished by the v4 companies.
Aprilia - maybe a bit more top end..
Ducati - who knows. Motor's already pretty much the best one on the grid
Honda - Smoothness maybe?
Suzuki - More power please.
Yamaha - Same as Suzuki. More power please.
Aprilia has a V4 but could use lots more top speed, though it could also be their aggressive aero package that's holding them back at the end of the straights. If this past weekend was any indication, Suzuki's new shapeshifter has massively reduced the straightline deficit to the Ducatis, as Mir wasn't losing much on the straight at all.

The bikes are so powerful now that it's as much about getting the power to the ground as peak hp. I read an article a while back quoting Petrucci where he said he was using the rear brake for as much as 70% of a lap at some tracks, both to stabilise the bike and to control wheelies. Finding a way to maintain peak power while also being controllable is what they're working towards now.

Either way, the margins are so slim now that even a minor improvement could make a difference of four or five places over race distance...

End of an era. 10th place - a good end to a great career. Also poetic that one of his proteges won the race.

Sad to see him mired in mediocrity this year, but at least he will have no doubt he gave it his all.

Selfishly I missed an opportunity to watch him last year one last time - I was supposed to go to Austin, but COVID obviously had more a global-level-of-**** idea.

5 months to go.

Let's see what the manufacturers bring in testing.

Amazing to see Rossi retire essentially physically and mentally intact. A lifetime at the top level.

And he is a genuinely good guy

End of an era. 10th place - a good end to a great career. Also poetic that one of his proteges won the race.

Sad to see him mired in mediocrity this year, but at least he will have no doubt he gave it his all.

Selfishly I missed an opportunity to watch him last year one last time - I was supposed to go to Austin, but COVID obviously had more a global-level-of-**** idea.
We had tickets for COTA this year, but cancelled as they were in the midst of a big outbreak at the time. No regrets, as I saw him race a couple of times in his prime. Seeing his last race in Italy or this one would have been special, though.

I was never the biggest Rossi fan, though I always liked him. Still, watching the post-race celebrations yesterday, I was genuinely emotional. He's been at the centre of the sport for almost as long as I've been following it, so it'll be strange to not have him on the grid. That said, it might be good for the sport to move on a bit, as it was getting a bit weird having a backmarker with more support in the stands than the top five riders combined.

5 months to go.

I enjoyed this season more than I have in absolutely ages. I felt like the champion was unquestionably the fastest package out there for most of the season, and there were some great battles. I've learned to love the qualifying format, too, which can be almost as fun to watch as the racing, especially with it being so crucial to the results.

I'm glad to report that I got at least one of my preseason predictions right, at least for Quartararo (please ignore the rest!), though just barely. Next year will be fascinating, with the potential return of Marc (and Honda!), Yamaha trying to recapture their corner speed magic, Ducati owning half the grid (which is a real failing by Dorna, in my opinion), KTM reworking their bikes to be less temperamental, Suzuki trying to give Mir a bike he can actually win on (rather than collecting podiums), and Aprilia finding ways to compete more consistently with a true factory effort. Add Michelin's ongoing effort to build tires that please everyone, and it should be a lot of fun.

Much as I want to see him back to his best, I'm really hoping it's not just a return to the Marc Marquez show. It'll be really interesting to see if Honda can help that effort by producing a bike someone else can be fast on. While they rightly have a reputation as building maneaters, they've also usually had their B riders at least competitive. Criville won a championship on Doohan's bike, after all...

5 months to go.

Last race of his career he finishes less than 8 seconds behind the 2021 world champion. Mediocrity is a bit of a harsh word, especially at this level when 0.5 of a second is actually a lifetime, just look at KTM. It’s the right time for him to retire, the sport is thriving right now, the young talent coming through the pipeline is going to be great to watch.

I only started watching MotoGP in 2013 so I missed most of 46's prime - that said, the Rossi/Marquez years felt a lot like the Prost/Senna years of my childhood. Extremely compelling stuff. I'm pretty sure that even people who claim(ed) to hate Rossi for sticking around too long are secretly mourning his retirement. And I'm guessing that Dorna will do everything in their power to keep Vale close to the organization going forward. What a guy.

I only started watching MotoGP in 2013 so I missed most of 46's prime - that said, the Rossi/Marquez years felt a lot like the Prost/Senna years of my childhood. Extremely compelling stuff. I'm pretty sure that even people who claim(ed) to hate Rossi for sticking around too long are secretly mourning his retirement. And I'm guessing that Dorna will do everything in their power to keep Vale close to the organization going forward. What a guy.
Indeed. The guy is a huge cash cow for MotoGP. He brings in more money for everyone. Like when Tiger was at his peak...the purses went up for everyone. More eyeballs is good for all even if they aren't cheering for you. With him gone it would be interesting to see the viewership (which we'll never know).

Indeed. The guy is a huge cash cow for MotoGP. He brings in more money for everyone. Like when Tiger was at his peak...the purses went up for everyone. More eyeballs is good for all even if they aren't cheering for you. With him gone it would be interesting to see the viewership (which we'll never know).

I think Rossi's long tenure and slow decline has allowed MotoGP to keep its ratings sustainable once he leaves. If Rossi had left in either: 2007 (F1), 2011 (post-leg injury) or even post 2015 (bad taste in his mouth), you would have seen a sharp ratings decline. What would be interesting to see is if the track attendance suffers, but that will be hard to tell because of Covid

A lot of the people that wanted Rossi to retire are probably those that started watching after his prime and cannot fully understand the hype that surrounds him. I understand this too since recency bias is a powerful thing.

There is plenty of talent in the field to keep MotoGP interesting ... look how close the lap times were. There are plenty of good personalities, too. And Rossi is still going to stay connected somehow, even if he's not on the grid. It will be fine.

World Superbike had a great season, too. They've got one more round to go ... and Toprak/Yamaha has the edge! No cakewalk for Jonathan Rae this year.

I find it hard to play favourites. They are all great riders.

There is plenty of talent in the field to keep MotoGP interesting ... look how close the lap times were. There are plenty of good personalities, too. And Rossi is still going to stay connected somehow, even if he's not on the grid. It will be fine.

World Superbike had a great season, too. They've got one more round to go ... and Toprak/Yamaha has the edge! No cakewalk for Jonathan Rae this year.

I find it hard to play favourites. They are all great riders.

I've never seen a deeper, more talented field in my years watching. I think it's partly due to the the equality of the machines (which i am in favour of), and also due to pushing riders up to GP younger and faster. In earlier years, you would see quality riders remain in the lower series longer. Now they try to get to MotoGP as quickly as possible, forgoing results in Moto2 (Jorge Martin and Joan Mir come to mind).

Dorna is also doing a good job trying to create a personal attachment to the riders - their social media questions to riders go a long way to do that.

Consequently, the talent in Moto2 is constantly stripped, and suffers for it. I am not taking anything away from Remy Gardner, and Raul Fernandez, but they did not have a lot of tough competition in Moto2 this year.

Back
Top Bottom