2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS) | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS)

Yep, saw that. Understandable, under the circumstances. I think I would have moved the air fence further out from the concrete barrier and filled the gap between the concrete and air fence with hay bales or foam blocks or some other such additional crush zone ...

Wow.... good for tech3 and Oliveira. Good to see tech3 finally win a race. Happy for them.

Good for Oliveira. perfect place to capitalize on the Espargaro/Miller clash.

Scary scary times for Vinales. No brakes and bailing at 200 kph.

Anyone know why Mir didn't change his front tire on the restart? Starting on a used tire was destined for failure.

Its been the year of satellite teams. I hope Pramac can get a win this year. they are a solid team that deserves a win.

Haven't heard for sure, but there's a good chance that Mir had already used his tire allocation.

I'm pretty sure Vinales had some advance warning of that situation. A couple laps earlier, he had his hand up, then continued riding. I have a suspicion that he knew the brakes were on the way out, and was already prepared to bail off the bike the moment the lever went to the bar.

Quartararo and Rossi were pointing at each other on the slow-down lap with some attention directed towards the front brake lever ...

Yamaha has work to do - aside from brake issues this weekend and clutch issues last weekend, Vinales has opened all 5 engines, and this one's toast.

I had a feeling mir used up his allocation. It is the most plausible explanation. I had originally assumed he had an extra hard front but decided on the used soft.

I'm pretty sure Vinales had some advance warning of that situation. A couple laps earlier, he had his hand up, then continued riding. I have a suspicion that he knew the brakes were on the way out, and was already prepared to bail off the bike the moment the lever went to the bar.

unbelievable, bailing at 200km.and walking away....not something you can practice. I watched the replay over and over to see how he did it....if that was me..that would have been my last...anything !

I'm pretty sure Vinales had some advance warning of that situation. A couple laps earlier, he had his hand up, then continued riding. I have a suspicion that he knew the brakes were on the way out, and was already prepared to bail off.

Yep. He said he had brake issues for the previous two laps during his post-race interview on BT Sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unbelievable, bailing at 200km.and walking away....not something you can practice. I watched the replay over and over to see how he did it....

He was approaching the right-hand turn, so his body was already hanging off the right side of the bike, ready to put the right knee down on the track.

When the brakes failed, he just let go of the bars and you could see it was his knee that touched down first before the rest of his body.

vinales.jpg

Not that any of us would have had the presence or clarity of mind to execute like that, but he was already in position. Would have been much harder if he was in full tuck and had to bail.

Last edited:
unbelievable, bailing at 200km.and walking away....not something you can practice. I watched the replay over and over to see how he did it....if that was me..that would have been my last...anything !

Two pumps and jump !!!

Thankfully, the leathers are well-made .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In spite of all the drama, Dovi is only 3 points from the lead....

I so want him to win

It is his best chance, especially now that reason has prevailed and Marc is sitting this most of this (all?) season out. It would be a decent way to go out for the guy that would allow him to take a development role at Aprillia, which to be honest is probably where he'd prefer to be if that Redbull documentary (and his response last week) earlier this year was anything to go off of.

Mir and Taka were robbed by that restart. I knew Mir was going to do really well this week, his pace was so good all weekend and then he inherited P3 at qualy, and looked like he wanted more. I think its about time we admit that Yamaha and Mav are just never going to gel and I really hope Gigi considers making an offer to Mav during this break between now and Misano as I think he'd do way better there than seeing his contract out.

That brake failure has to be super terrifying, I had spongy brakes on my Firebalde after I replaced some pads covered in fork oil and I was unable to break them in as-is and I insisted I re-bled the entire system before I got back on the bike, I can't even imagine how terrifying having a failure at 200kph must have been. Mav is one lucky SOB and needs to get on the Red bike and make it work for him. He's used up all his engines ahead of so many 3 b2b races.

Congrats to Olivera, hope he enjoys that crazy liveried M4.

Mir should have one that race. It's unfortunate the red flag restart worked against him. I never understood why they are allowed to change tires during a red flag. Everyone should go back out on their current tires. This doesn't seem fair when some of the team's already used up their tire allotment and are being penalized for not be able to change out during the red flag. I can understand if it was a safety thing e.g. rain red flag.

Managing your tire allotment is part of the game ... everyone is in the same situation.

Managing your tire allotment is part of the game ... everyone is in the same situation.

I can't help but think there are not enough tire allocations. I dont like to see a rider get burned because of a red flag. If riders are able to change tires during the red flag, then they should allow for more tires available. Or, do not allow tires changes on restarts.

yikes
Mav has some 'splaining to do
should have retired earlier
this could have ended way worse than it did

“From the fourth lap I noticed that I was running out of brakes,” Vinales said on Sunday.
“I was taking precautions not to take anyone out ahead and suddenly, at Turn 1, the brake exploded.
“I couldn't do anything and that's why I threw myself off. It's something that had never happened to me.”

Brembo’s email made it clear that it would not be held responsible for any issues should a rider or manufacturer disregard its advice.

Vinales’ brake failure caused a number of riders to criticise his decision not to pull out of the race if he knew he had an issue.

Suzuzki’s Alex Rins said: “If Maverick had already known for a few laps that he had run out of brakes and that is why he was raising his hand,
it is normal that he would have entered the pits earlier.

"I don't understand why he had to continue in the race.

"We are surely going to discuss it at the next meeting of the Safety Commission.”

His Suzuki teammate Joan Mir was the only other rider not to run the new brakes from Brembo,
though he had no issues across both Red Bull Ring weekends.

Yep, saw that. Understandable, under the circumstances. I think I would have moved the air fence further out from the concrete barrier and filled the gap between the concrete and air fence with hay bales or foam blocks or some other such additional crush zone ...
it is hard to tell but motogp has a video of the installation and there are tires between the concrete and the air fence.

Definitely. Those weren't visible in the initial views that i saw, but an end-on view showed tires in there. I think they did the best they could.

Back
Top Bottom