2020 Auto Insurnace renewals | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Auto Insurnace renewals

What that he'll did you do in 2003 that's it's stil affecting your rate today

I would think it's so long ago that it wouldn't matter.
It was at fault accident. Stupid situation can't believe it still haunting me.
I agree only CAA looks this far back, none of the others do. But then again they have better rates.
I've pulled my own abstract from the Gov, and there is nothing on it, nothing to report.
Insurance here is messed up.

If CAA is not getting their information from the government, then there must be collusion within the insurance industry to share information. This gives them the opportunity and excuse to needlessly jack up rates. Insurance companies also ping your credit rating which effects your insurance rate. It seems that people with good credit get into fewer accidents / cause less claims. Probably because they can afford to fix their own mistakes privately.

Desjardins

It went down ~$25.00/month (~$300/year) :D

I got my full M recently but Desjardins said it won't decrease my premiums anymore.

If CAA is not getting their information from the government, then there must be collusion within the insurance industry to share information. This gives them the opportunity and excuse to needlessly jack up rates. Insurance companies also ping your credit rating which effects your insurance rate. It seems that people with good credit get into fewer accidents / cause less claims. Probably because they can afford to fix their own mistakes privately.
Yes it seems they find their info elsewhere, from what I was told it they pick up 2 reports from Auto PLus and MVR, not sure why it doesn't align with the gov, unless they can leverage the info against drivers.
Hmm interesting about the credit score, but I am sure I have perfect credit.

Desjardins

It went down ~$25.00/month (~$300/year) :D

I got my full M recently but Desjardins said it won't decrease my premiums anymore.
Thanks for the info, this is for Auto insurance, but glad to hear you are not getting shafted!

Thanks for the info, this is for Auto insurance, but glad to hear you are not getting shafted!

I ended up bundling my car into Desjardins...

Sonnet went from ~160/month to ~216/month

I have a at fault, a bunch of not at faults, some tickets and my daily driver is a fairly new car. I knew what I was getting into but it hurts :(

Reading all this made me email my broker to see if there is any rebate available from Western Assurance for my car policy.
Figured it'd be worth a shot..we will be working from home all the way into early next year..at this rate I only drive the car once every two weeks to keep the battery charged lol.

Reading all this made me email my broker to see if there is any rebate available from Western Assurance for my car policy.
Figured it'd be worth a shot..we will be working from home all the way into early next year..at this rate I only drive the car once every two weeks to keep the battery charged lol.
Yeah it's pretty crazy, in the past 5 months I have driven my car about 1000k. They all should be giving rebates.

I ended up bundling my car into Desjardins...

Sonnet went from ~160/month to ~216/month

I have a at fault, a bunch of not at faults, some tickets and my daily driver is a fairly new car. I knew what I was getting into but it hurts :(
I am getting the impression the bundling is a scam, they want you to bundle to get more of your business and quote you higher rates, and only give you the normal rates if you bundle. Some companies are even telling me that "single" policy rates quote will automatically be higher. How isn't that a scam or fraud??

Well looks like the best option was to stick with my current insurance provider, and update my car use to pleasure only.

Thank you sburns!
Looks like I will be getting some sort of refund as well - my broker updated my coverage to pleasure use for now!

589d91a4ded67d743e9e8fff3ae3b95d.gif

I am getting the impression the bundling is a scam, they want you to bundle to get more of your business and quote you higher rates, and only give you the normal rates if you bundle. Some companies are even telling me that "single" policy rates quote will automatically be higher. How isn't that a scam or fraud??

Same here

Rate wasn't my problem. I feel like i already spoke about this, but maybe on a different website. i'll just copy pasta it here;

They demanded i add my fiancee (who i live with) to my policy, even though i stated clearly she cannot nor would not drive my car; (she has her own and cannot drive a manual gearbox [mine]). then i spent 2 weeks arguing back and forth with them about having to come in to sign a waiver in which she agreed to not drive my car or my insurance would be considered void. we were happy to sign this but apparently the requirement is that we take time off work to be lectured for 30 minutes to ensure we understand a document which says in plain English "if you`re caught driving this car in an accident or otherwise, it will void my policy". Finally they relented and let us return a signed copy via email.

I get an email the next day stating that because she had an accident claim on file from 5 years ago they would be voiding my accident forgiveness as their standing policy is you can't qualify for this if anyone in your household policy has a claim on file. i lost it, not because i cared about AF but because they badgered me for 3 weeks to add her to a policy that means nothing to anyone because she physically is unable to operate my vehicle and the end result is my getting penalized for it. i called in to discuss with a manger, thinking that someone with 2 brain cells would be understanding of the situation. Or at the least make a case for them to consider reviewing their policy so no one else gets caught in this trap. NOPE, got told i don't get to speak to managers, i have to file an online 'complaint' and maybe someone would return my call.

Yeah dropped them the next day.

8 years as a customer and i never called them for a damn thing before this.
By Ontario law she has to be listed. Anyone in the household with a drivers license (driving or not) has to be listed. It’s on the Ontario automobile application. If she was insured elsewhere they would see it by running her DL and then it would have no affect on your insurance premium.

Not sure why you put up a fight to just hand over a DL#. If she was not insured elsewhere then she would be listed as occasional driver or you would have to sign the 28a form you mentioned. And then she wouldn’t generate a premium.

By Ontario law she has to be listed. Anyone in the household with a drivers license (driving or not) has to be listed. It’s on the Ontario automobile application. If she was insured elsewhere they would see it by running her DL and then it would have no affect on your insurance premium.

Not sure why you put up a fight to just hand over a DL#. If she was not insured elsewhere then she would be listed as occasional driver or you would have to sign the 28a form you mentioned. And then she wouldn’t generate a premium.
She was insured elsewhere.

My car is going from $1188 -> $1460 with TDMM which is fun :( Zero tickets/at faults.
My Ninja 300 is bundled with them for an insane ~$850 full coverage. I've had my moto license for 3 years now (26).

I'm going to try and shop around for both (ninja renews in Feb) but I feel like TD might jack up the moto if I move the car. Other insurers I've checked before are asking ~$1200-1600 dear for the Ninja.
From the few quotes I've done so far for just the car, I haven't found much better quotes so far at all..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom