2020 Auto Insurnace renewals | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Auto Insurnace renewals

sburns

I know this is about my car, but I think it helps to see the broader picture, plus my bike will be due soon after the car renewal, and I suspect it will follow with similar increase. I'll post a thread on that when it comes in.

Last year I switched to Johnson insurance (from Rapters) after receiving a decent quote and taking advantage of a professional discount.

2019 $1878
2020 $2134 (increase of $250 or about 12%, if math is correct)

Some details 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid, Scarborough (yes I know this is bad), and 28 years driving clean record.

I guess they are making up for the professional discount, and or previous "introductory" rate, and then some, yes I am not happy about the increase, also considering the lack of traffic on the roads, lockdown etc, it hardly seems justifiable. I will be doing the insurance dance and calling around the usual suspects.

Any companies brokers I should call, please let me know?

Otherwise how does this compare to what you are seeing?

Give @Michelle Edwards-Allstate a try.

My car insurance hasn't budged more then $5 in like 6 years, despite living in 3 completely different regions.

Hmm interesting. Thanks I will try them. Last time I called I felt I was being data raped. You bundling or just car?
Bundled, in this sense my insurance went down ?

Gary Hall, CLU | Financial Advisor

Gary Hall Insurance Agency Inc| The Co-operators General Insurance Company

283 Queen St South Mississauga, Ontario L5M 1L9

Tel: 905-569-2667 Fax: 905-819-8414

Great guy and great rates

I have all our policies with him minus the bike.

Ours went down fairly significantly as my wife went from a 100k per day commuter to zero now she's working from home. She also has another year of accident/claim free on her motorcycle record as well - year 4 for her now.

Did get a proactive rebate as well for the whole Covid thing.

I got a rebate as well for the COVID thing, it equalled to about $25! Yeah a fill up. I've never seen my rates go down, at all, in 20+ years of driving, always doing the insurance dance of calling around.

I know this is about my car, but I think it helps to see the broader picture, plus my bike will be due soon after the car renewal, and I suspect it will follow with similar increase. I'll post a thread on that when it comes in.

Last year I switched to Johnson insurance (from Rapters) after receiving a decent quote and taking advantage of a professional discount.

2019 $1878
2020 $2134 (increase of $250 or about 12%, if math is correct)

Some details 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid, Scarborough (yes I know this is bad), and 28 years driving clean record.

I guess they are making up for the professional discount, and or previous "introductory" rate, and then some, yes I am not happy about the increase, also considering the lack of traffic on the roads, lockdown etc, it hardly seems justifiable. I will be doing the insurance dance and calling around the usual suspects.

Any companies brokers I should call, please let me know?

Otherwise how does this compare to what you are seeing?
Yikes! try CAA, I pay $800 less than on a CTS. My 25 year old pays $2200 to TD for a 2017 Jeep Patriot - he gets a huge professional discount.

Gary Hall, CLU | Financial Advisor

Gary Hall Insurance Agency Inc| The Co-operators General Insurance Company

283 Queen St South Mississauga, Ontario L5M 1L9

Tel: 905-569-2667 Fax: 905-819-8414

Great guy and great rates

I have all our policies with him minus the bike.
i just dropped co operators F those guys!

i just dropped co operators F those guys!

I was with Cumis for a LONG time.
I got a better rate from Cooperators taking everything into account, car, house, life etc.
So I made the switch.
Renewal is in October so we will see.

I was with Cumis for a LONG time.
I got a better rate from Cooperators taking everything into account, car, house, life etc.
So I made the switch.
Renewal is in October so we will see.
Rate wasn't my problem. I feel like i already spoke about this, but maybe on a different website. i'll just copy pasta it here;

They demanded i add my fiancee (who i live with) to my policy, even though i stated clearly she cannot nor would not drive my car; (she has her own and cannot drive a manual gearbox [mine]). then i spent 2 weeks arguing back and forth with them about having to come in to sign a waiver in which she agreed to not drive my car or my insurance would be considered void. we were happy to sign this but apparently the requirement is that we take time off work to be lectured for 30 minutes to ensure we understand a document which says in plain English "if you`re caught driving this car in an accident or otherwise, it will void my policy". Finally they relented and let us return a signed copy via email.

I get an email the next day stating that because she had an accident claim on file from 5 years ago they would be voiding my accident forgiveness as their standing policy is you can't qualify for this if anyone in your household policy has a claim on file. i lost it, not because i cared about AF but because they badgered me for 3 weeks to add her to a policy that means nothing to anyone because she physically is unable to operate my vehicle and the end result is my getting penalized for it. i called in to discuss with a manger, thinking that someone with 2 brain cells would be understanding of the situation. Or at the least make a case for them to consider reviewing their policy so no one else gets caught in this trap. NOPE, got told i don't get to speak to managers, i have to file an online 'complaint' and maybe someone would return my call.

Yeah dropped them the next day.

8 years as a customer and i never called them for a damn thing before this.

@Evoex
I vaguely remember reading something about your situation on there.

I have only been with them for 1-2 years and so far no complaints.
In fact, Gary came out to our house to go over everything and explain the details. From what I remember it was after business hours and left my house around 9pm. He was actually the one doing chasing as I was taking my sweet ass time booking an appointment for the blood work for the life policy.

Hopefully I don't have to call them for anything either.

8 years as a customer and i never called them for a damn thing before this.
I'll give them a call anyway it can't hurt, well unless I go through similar frustrations. I also used to be with co-operators, actually when I first started driving, and use to be a loyal client until things magically started increasing and weirdness with customers service.

So I called my insurance company today. It seems the increase in premiums was allowed by the Ontario government

This article kinda explains it

I told them I wasn't using my car for commuting anymore, which brought the rate down to almost what it was before the increase.
Oy vey.

I told them I wasn't using my car for commuting anymore, which brought the rate down to almost what it was before the increase.

So are you staying with them or still shopping around?

So are you staying with them or still shopping around?
Still quoting so far.

I did call your agent but he wasn't in today. Hopefully tomorrow.

I just got off the phone with Allstate (@Evoex ). So they quoted me way higher then everyone else $2800 for the year, and said bundling home/auto was the only way to save money. I told them even with the discount of the bundle the rate was still higher...</facepalm>
And to top it off they have a single rate "fee" of $250 if you don't bundle.....

CAA so far has quoted me a good rate, but with them it's a bit of a missdirection, once you finalize with them the dig deeper into your driving record and voila find something they don't like and rate changes.

CAA so far has quoted me a good rate, but with them it's a bit of a missdirection, once you finalize with them the dig deeper into your driving record and voila find something they don't like and rate changes

That's bull crap. Should be against the law.

I actually just registered for my Covid-19, 15% refund from Co-operators. :)

So one positive bit of information was given to me by one of the agents. It seems my car, a 2014 Toyota Camry has a higher impact damage rating, which is part of the problem for my rates. For curiosity I asked to punch in a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid and the rate dropped by $300.

Lastly I called Riders Plus (which was great to deal with, and most helpful to understand the rates), they also quoted me with CAA as the best option, but they found something from 2003, which changed my star rating from 20 star to 15 star. So the rate went up. :confused: Oh well in a couple of years I will be able to get that 20 star rating...

What that he'll did you do in 2003 that's it's stil affecting your rate today

I would think it's so long ago that it wouldn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom