2018 Season - OPP Watching Bikers | GTAMotorcycle.com

2018 Season - OPP Watching Bikers

Underdog

Hey folks!
I have this gut feeling the OPP will be paying
very close attention to us bikers this upcoming season. Maybe because of last years ruckus
on 400 hwys? probably looking for rest of
"bikelife" dirty riders...

My story:
Had a black undercover OPP cruiser on my
ass from Dixie to 427 yesterday. Wasn't doing anything stupid or speeding AND wasn't even
on the hwy, but riding on Eglinton??Hmm?
I dont think those roads are typically patrolled
by OPP, but local police, like Metro or Peel.
Didnt get pulled over, but the cop definitely
checked my plates and also took a pic with his
phone??!! ( got the footage on my gopro)

Anyways, did anyone here have similar experience? Thoughts? If so please share.
Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Nothing to worry about (so far) if you're not breaking the law.

Police racial profiling is a bigger issue than motorcyclists having their picture taken and their plates checked.

Making sure your bike isn't stolen most likely since they're not very common at this time of the year maybe?!

...checked my plates and also took a pic with his phone??!!...

Did he give you the 'let's meet at boston pizza' hand signal?

YUpmRqS.jpg

Probably just building a database of bikes to easily search if another ride happens with missing/covered plates. Yet another reason to remain stock looking on the street.

Probably just building a database of bikes to easily search if another ride happens with missing/covered plates. Yet another reason to remain stock looking on the street.
Agree with this. After the next ride of the six they'll just pull out all the photos they've taken and start comparing.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

The same thing happened to me eight years ago. Do you think the incidents are related?

Got followed by OPP last year. He finally lit me up. Claimed that my back tire looked low on tread as he was following me. I didn't bother to remark on what must be his remarkable eyesight. He checked that my stuff was legit and we were all good.
I could have gotten pissy and been a dick about it, but I guessing I'm getting too old for that

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Got followed by OPP last year. He finally lit me up. Claimed that my back tire looked low on tread as he was following me. I didn't bother to remark on what must be his remarkable eyesight. He checked that my stuff was legit and we were all good.
I could have gotten pissy and been a dick about it, but I guessing I'm getting too old for that

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

lol the cop had eagle vision. What a poor excuse to pull you over.

Hey folks!
I have this gut feeling the OPP will be paying
very close attention to us bikers this upcoming season. Maybe because of last years ruckus
on 400 hwys? probably looking for rest of
"bikelife" dirty riders...

My story:
Had a black undercover OPP cruiser on my
*** from Dixie to 427 yesterday. Wasn't doing anything stupid or speeding AND wasn't even
on the hwy, but riding on Eglinton??Hmm?
I dont think those roads are typically patrolled
by OPP, but local police, like Metro or Peel.
Didnt get pulled over, but the cop definitely
checked my plates and also took a pic with his
phone??!! ( got the footage on my gopro)

Anyways, did anyone here have similar experience? Thoughts? If so please share.
Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Maybe the cop is a fellow rider off duty and was probably just checking out your bike ?

I had a cop follow me for a while before but that was likely because it was an unmarked SUV that I passed at about 130 in an 80. To his credit he never lit up the cherries. Had me sh***ing bricks the whole time though....

Got followed and pulled over last year too. Guy too a tantrum over my lights and my license plate but didn't issue a ticket. I think they're going after the sport bikes this summer big time. Can't imagine why.

I tend to suspect that if you have a legit license plate properly mounted and with an up-to-date sticker and a valid insurance policy on record and the bike is visibly in decent shape (not missing prescribed lighting, etc) and you as the rider are not being an idiot ... it's not going to be a problem.

Been riding over 40 years.Been pulled over 5 times and issued 2 tickets.Both were 15 over.The others were a R.I.D.E. check,a seatbelt check and a "your clutch is noisy" check.The stops for speeding were on bikes that had tail tidys (very visible with oem signals).Be nice and you'll be fine.

Don’t think there is more attention than previous years. OPP/LE presence has increased in predictable conditions. Nice, warm weather out of the blue. See the usual fishing holes set up and patrols etc.

In previous years I had a cop follow me, run my plate and then pull me over for a once over. Told me he pulled me over because the plate showed a Harley Davidson and I clearly wasn’t riding one.

When I explained to him Buell is owned by Harley (at the time) and the motor is indeed Harley, he still was scratching his head.

He thought I was riding with plates from another bike illegally.

And he is a fellow rider of an SS (CBR1000)

Do riders get profiled? I’m sure we do. I don’t mind a curb side chat as long as it doesn’t take all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure they will be a keeping a closer eye on sport bike riders in the GTA this summer; no doubt to me based on the aggressive stance they took after the big public 'ride' last year and number of man hours spent tracking down 3 or 4 of the hundreds of riders to make examples of them. One thing to keep in mind is many of those people in that ride might be fully registered for the street and are just taking off their plates for the day and acting like a child.

I'm of the belief that if you have:

1) License plate in a proper position (ie: not tucked under your seat and firmly mounted)
2) Registration in order
3) Sticker in order
4) License in order

And show respect to the officer you shouldn't have any issues beyond what you've been stopped for (and in most cases, having everything in order and being polite may even solve that for you too).

Always find there is more attention this time of year as bikes are still rare to see out.
I assume they are mostly doing it verify plates and insurance are up to date vs someone just taking advantage of a sunny day and out for a quick boot around.

You sure it was the OPP, and not the Military Police...LOL Reference to the guy who posted that the Military Police in black SUV's had taken over motorcycle pursuits as they didn't have to follow the same rules as civilian police, back awhile ago before he was perm banned..lmao

No doubt ALL forces, (although undoubtedly the OPP have the most resources), are building databases of particularly sport and super sport bikes. Congrats to those who "organized" the fiasco last year, they got what the stated was their intended cause, (more awareness of bikes)...lol

As long as the bike has the required equipment, (not eliminators), and the plate is in the STOCK position, your paperwork is in order and your polite, your going to be held up for at best 5 minutes and be on your way, (unless of course you did something that requires corrective action, IE Ticket)...

As a former copper, take my best advice. If a ticket is being issued, just take the ticket and smile, while observing everything around at the time, (to later assist in your defence). Arguing the ticket roadside ISN'T going to help the officer is NOT going to "see the light" and cancel the ticket. The time and place to argue it's legitimacy is IN court. The ONLY one who will listen to a reasoned argument is the JP. If he/she took the time to write the ticket then the officer roadside believes it to be justified, your arguing isn't going to alter that, and "could'" result in the officer taking the time to look for more violations. If necessary for your defence, wait till the officer departs then make notes, take photos etc etc. If they are taken right away it will go further with a defence than a photo taken 3 months later.

Last edited:
.............I kinda want to sell my bike and go back to the track lol

To those who organized last year's ride and are reading this thread: **** you.

Back
Top Bottom