2018 CB500X Hesitation at cruise speed | GTAMotorcycle.com

2018 CB500X Hesitation at cruise speed

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all,

So I'm posting this because I'm just not sure if this is normal for this motor, or if this is something that I'm overly sensitive to on this bike.

I've had the 500F, Rebel500, and now the X and this is the only one I can feel it.

Cruising around, doesn't matter what gear, around the 4500-5500 mark and the bike almost feels like it's hitting some imaginary wall for an instant, drops power, and goes back, and it'll repeat this cyclically every second let's say. It almost feels like it loses steam, catches its breath, and gets going again. Dropping a gear, accelerating out of the rev range, or slowing down gets rid of this sensation.

It's VERY subtle, and you have to know what you're looking / feeling for...but there's definitely a hesitation that can be felt.

Bike has 25,000km on it, I assume the valve clearance has not been done. Chain will be replaced in the fall as it seems to be a bit looser than I'd like, but had it tightened at the start of the season.

New air filter installed a few months ago.

I can't figure it out. I can't seem to find anything of note online that specially speaks to this. And I can't replicate the feeling/noise (you can hear a very slight change in the tone) in an online posting.

I thought maybe it's the chain loosening and catching again as it's so quick as it loops...but I can't be sure and I don't know enough to isolate the issue.

@MacDoc have you ever felt this? @ScorpionT16 you've had an X before...anything you've noticed similar to this?

This happened on a few select gsxr's. I had a '10 750 with it. The Suzi group referred to it as " the herky jerky".
Throttle position sensor adjustment was the fix.

I'd correct the chain first. Always start with the simple stuff first.

I don't remember that happening when mine was stock (i have a 2013 though). When my chain isnt properly adjust i get a similar feeling when i let off the gas. But i've also changed my sprocket gearing a lot.

Also i've heard that valves for the most part are usually fine on the cb500x

I'd correct the chain first. Always start with the simple stuff first.
I'm thinking it's the chain just loosening and tightening...it's lived it's life. I'll replace the chain this season on the bike though.

I'm thinking it's the chain just loosening and tightening...it's lived it's life. I'll replace the chain this season on the bike though.

Would you consider the maintenance-free BMW diamond chain?

lubeless-chain-diagram.jpg

Possibly. But @Evoex just saved the decision as it’s not a fit for the bike.

Need to research chains as I’m not even sure wtf to look for or how hard it is to replace.
It’s also $400+ 🤪

If it holds up to the claims, it's worth twice that.
Still no mention of the sprockets.
I don’t disagree that materials/labour saved is substantial. And yeah we ride, it’s expensive. However $400 up front cost for a chain isn’t something a lot of people will sneeze at, IMO.

Possibly. But @Evoex just saved the decision as it’s not a fit for the bike.

Need to research chains as I’m not even sure wtf to look for or how hard it is to replace.

Without turning this into an oil-esque thread pretty much all o ring chains are maintenance free. I’d just get a new chain and see if that helps then move on to the next easiest part if it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I don’t disagree that materials/labour saved is substantial. And yeah we ride, it’s expensive. However $400 up front cost for a chain isn’t something a lot of people will sneeze at, IMO.
I'm an anal mf'r when it comes to maintenance. When I had a chain, it was almost a daily (obsession) clean & lube. Ya, that's insane, and totally unnecessary, but that's me.
After my hiatus, I knew I could ride, but wasn't ready to carry on with my old ways, yet, so it had to be a shaft drive. Hence an fjr.
Now, I'm ready again for a chain.
If I can get a chain that NEVER needs service, other than cleaning, sign me up. But. Both sprockets need to be infinite to justify the cost.

I think a normal chain and sprockets aren’t that far off. I’ll be replacing front and back.
Soooooooo change tooth count?

You could make your current bike a brand new bike ... almost...

Ok not really. But it's novel

Soooooooo change tooth count?

You could make your current bike a brand new bike ... almost...

Ok not really. But it's novel
Possibly. Is there much benefit to changing sprocket tooth number?

Back
Top Bottom