2012 s1000rr | GTAMotorcycle.com

2012 s1000rr

gideel

122-1110-01-z+2012-bmw-s1000rr-angle-view+.jpg

BMW didn't need to update its S1000RR superbike. It was already the most-powerful sportbike in the world, and one of the best selling, too-24 percent of all sportbikes sold worldwide in 2010 were S1000RRs. But BMW didn't reach the top of the sales chart by being conservative, so just two years after its debut the model has already been given a significant "facelift." The awesome, 193-horsepower engine is mechanically unchanged, though electronic reprogramming is said to make power delivery feel "punchier" at low- and mid-range rpm, while numerous chassis changes inspired by World Superbike and Superstock racing address sluggish steering and make the bike more agile and responsive than before. The changes are subtle-evolution, not revolution-but significant in number, and address all our criticisms of the first-generation machine. It looks like one of the best sportbikes on the market just got better.

The S1000RR still offers four drive modes-Rain, Sport, Race and Slick-but numerous engine-mapping changes have been made to optimize throttle response and power delivery in each mode-including increasing Rain mode's peak output by 11 horsepower, to 163 hp. The throttle-response curve has been recalibrated to respond more immediately in Sport, Race and Slick modes, and the power curve has been boosted for stronger acceleration in Race and Slick selections. In addition, physical changes to the throttle assembly that include a lighter throttle-valve spring and a shorter rotational angle from closed to wide-open throttle all combine to make throttle response and acceleration more direct and forceful.

Revisions to the airbox, including a larger air intake and revised intake stack geometry, along a redesigned stainless-steel exhaust, produce a slight increase in torque output between 5000-7500 rpm. This additional midrange power, coupled with slightly lower final drive gearing (now 17/45, compared to 17/44 before) is said to further improve rideability especially when driving off corners. Additional electronic trickery now eliminates the overrun fuel cutoff in Slick mode, to minimize engine-braking effect and improve stability during corner entries.

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and Race ABS programming have been optimized for even greater sensitivity in Race and Slick modes, and wheelie control specifically has been altered to activate the throttle valves in a much "gentler" fashion-addressing a major concern with the previous-generation S1000RR, which suffered from too-abrupt wheelie abatement.

The S1000RR chassis has been slightly revised to optimize steering behavior and suspension action. The steering head angle has been changed from 66.1 to 66.0 degrees and fork offset has been reduced by 2.5mm to 29.5mm for quicker steering response. The wheelbase has been shortened 5mm as well.

The Sachs suspension components have received attention as well. New springs front and rear offer a wider range of useful adjustment, which will especially benefit trackday riders who have different set-ups for street (comfort) and track (performance) riding. The fork valving has been recalibrated to make the compression damping circuit more responsive. The rear shock gets a larger, 18mm piston to also speed up compression damping reaction, in addition to new needle geometry on both the compression and rebound valves for more predictable, linear response.

122-1110-01-o+2012-bmw-s1000rr-alt-view-blue+.jpg

122-1110-01-o+2012-bmw-s1000rr-side-view-blue+.jpg

CBR vs 1199 vs S1000rr. Suzuki has still yet to announce something. Crazy year to be looking to buy a literbike. Now I can't decide which one I want!

source: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/n..._1110_2012_bmw_s_1000rr_first_look/index.html

CBR vs 1199 vs S1000rr. Suzuki has still yet to announce something. Crazy year to be looking to buy a literbike. Now I can't decide which one I want!

Check insurance rates and see if they differ. Might help make up your mind.

wow. 2012 bmw cars all look aesthetically pleasing. but this bike is just hideous. the rims look great, but bmw didn't design it. marchesini wheels?

It was already the most-powerful sportbike in the world, and one of the best selling, too-24 percent of all sportbikes sold worldwide in 2010 were S1000RRs.

Is that just in the 1000CC category is does that include 600CC and other "sportbikes".

24% seems a little high overall...as i havn't seen many of them around...

Well he said worldwide so maybe Canadian sales haven't been the best. But in Europe it's probably very popular.

very nice bike,that being said.at the radar run in parrysound.s1000, 246kph, in roughly 2000 feet,my 2000 929ran 240kph,gixxer 1000,263kph.that was tops. busas, blackbirds, and zx1400s.around 230 to 235 kph,2000ft.not long enough to really let those bikes wined out.ive always been a cbr guy.but the gsxr 1000,rules the roost,at live events i go to.you can put numbers on paper,then there is real life.thats my 2cents.

24 percent of all sportbike sales seems out to lunch, maybe 2.4 percent? I think they are saying 24 percent of BMW sportbike sales were S1000R's.

much nicer colour schemes, same ugly headlight design...This bike looks much better in race trim. You don't see gay asymmetrical headlights on any BMW cars but they just love to put them on their bikes.

I have a 2011 all the changes to the electronics sound like the new 2012 just run the race ecu maps
I have installed the bmw race ecu and the changes sound the same. As for the power on these bikes its just way to much, I track mine and run the bike in rain mode and have no problems running with any 1000cc bikes. Hell sport is already to much. All in all its the best ike to date that I have owned

much nicer colour schemes, same ugly headlight design...This bike looks much better in race trim. You don't see gay asymmetrical headlights on any BMW cars but they just love to put them on their bikes.
Reason for the headlights is that it saved 1.5lbs by using a different headlight, What you have to remember is everything on this bike is for a reason , Take the shark gills on the right side, by placing those gills on the right side the benifits in cooling gained 2hp, Ill try to find a Bmw video that i seen on this bike and why everything is the way it is,

nahhhh, I don't want one of those..........not at all

The problems I heard are with 2010 gear boxes, Knock on wood my 11 hasnt had any and she hasn't been babied at all.

Reason for the headlights is that it saved 1.5lbs by using a different headlight, What you have to remember is everything on this bike is for a reason , Take the shark gills on the right side, by placing those gills on the right side the benifits in cooling gained 2hp, Ill try to find a Bmw video that i seen on this bike and why everything is the way it is,

ok...well then why didn't they save another 1.5lbs and make them the same on both sides??

24% is very realistic guys.

Canada is a tiny market.

In the UK and Europe (true biker nations), this bike is selling HUUGE (relatively speaking for a liter bike) and is easily the best selling liter bike in Europe and UK since introduction.

Im sure somebody will be able to dig up some sales figures.

24% is very realistic guys.

Canada is a tiny market.

In the UK and Europe (true biker nations), this bike is selling HUUGE (relatively speaking for a liter bike) and is easily the best selling liter bike in Europe and UK since introduction.

Im sure somebody will be able to dig up some sales figures.

I would believe 24% of litre bikes but not 24% of spotbikes.

As for the power on these bikes its just way to much, I track mine and run the bike in rain mode and have no problems running with any 1000cc bikes. Hell sport is already to much.

Shoulda bought a cbr 250:rolleyes:

The headlights are the only hidious thing about that bike

Back
Top Bottom