2008 GSXR-750 or 2008 CBR1000RR | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2008 GSXR-750 or 2008 CBR1000RR

油井緋色;1925807 said:
Thanks everyone, I'll likely go w/ the blade at this rate.

25, 2 seasons, GS500F.

I know it seems a bit (well it is) ridiculous and likely foolhardy to make that kind of jump but a dream is a dream....stupid or not lol

did you ever ride a 600, 750 or 1000cc?

did you ever ride a 600, 750 or 1000cc?

R6, 600RR, and GSXR750.

I haven't tried a 1000 but liked the 750 the most. The 600s, below where ever the power kicked in, felt like my old GS.

油井緋色;1925910 said:
R6, 600RR, and GSXR750.

I haven't tried a 1000 but liked the 750 the most. The 600s, below where ever the power kicked in, felt like my old GS.

Then you atleast have an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

My car is a Honda, and notoriously burns lots of oil.

Its a PITA, and I'll probably never buy another Honda (or any car, for that matter) that's known to burn oil. Internal combustion engines are NOT supposed to consume (burn) oil.

I put close to 20K KM's on my 06 750 and I haven't had a single issue.
A simple relocation kit + an r/r upgrade will put aside whatever doubts you have about the r/r catching fire.

The PowerCommander on the one could upset insurance. Mine told me they wouldn't be happy with it, anyway.

Its a PITA, and I'll probably never buy another Honda (or any car, for that matter) that's known to burn oil. Internal combustion engines are NOT supposed to consume (burn) oil.
Yeah I'm kind of annoyed that I found out after buying one that boosted Subie engines are known for burning oil, too. Didn't have a problem with my VW TDI or my Saab burning oil (at least not enough that I had to top up between 10k changes) and both of those were turbo. My bike doesn't seem to use any.

I own 3 hondas and none of them have any issues. You just need to do your research before making a purchase.

He said the GSXR has a PowerCommander, or at least that's what I thought PC stood for. Several insurance companies have told me that an aftermarket exhaust is questionable but a PowerCommander would be a big no-no. Just wanted to make sure the OP thought of that before he decides on one or the other.

He said the GSXR has a PowerCommander, or at least that's what I thought PC stood for. Several insurance companies have told me that an aftermarket exhaust is questionable but a PowerCommander would be a big no-no. Just wanted to make sure the OP thought of that before he decides on one or the other.

What insurance company even knows what a power commander is? lol
I guess the word POWER scared some company hahah

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about that.

What insurance company even knows what a power commander is? lol
I guess the word POWER scared some company hahah

I think it's stupid too. But considering most of them also told me they won't cover a bike that's been lowered slightly to improve footing, I'm not surprised. Insurance is handled so poorly here. Basically anything that could remotely be considered a modification gets them all worked up.

I think it's stupid too. But considering most of them also told me they won't cover a bike that's been lowered slightly to improve footing, I'm not surprised. Insurance is handled so poorly here. Basically anything that could remotely be considered a modification gets them all worked up.

Would insurance refuse to cover you if you didn't tell them about lowering the bike? I mean I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it.

油井緋色;1926014 said:
Would insurance refuse to cover you if you didn't tell them about lowering the bike? I mean I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it.
They've told me they would not as well as potentially cut off your coverage for non-disclosure and could, in theory, pursue charges for insurance fraud but it's doubtful they would go that far. They probably wouldn't notice but if they did you could get in quite a bit of trouble as it could mean any liability for any damages or injuries to others would come out of your own pocket.

In regards to the 2008 GSXR problem you listed, I have one and I run into that problem...rarely. It seems to usually only happen when I'm starting it up on cold days, and it's usually fine unless I try to leave before it warms up (150f+) or blip the throttle before it's warmed up. It's always corrected itself and never happens when it's warm out. Not sure why it happens but I've been able to always get it going properly shortly, just a minor annoyance.

Like mentioned above, the 08+ 1000rr is known for its midrange power which is what you want for street riding. I too was worried about the oil burning issue when I bought mine but I trusted the previous owner enough to go for it. It's an 09 however so the burning prob was not as widespread as the 08. Just look at the exhaust pipe (bring a flashlight), if it has a thick black film inside the pipe then walk away.

Seeing as this is going to be a street bike, you might just want to hold off and look for an 09+ with ABS. Obviously it's not a must but it's nice to have. I got mine for the price the '08 is posted for. Something to think about...

油井緋色;1926014 said:

The insurance company could say you drastically reduced the handling capabilities and will not cover an accident for that reason.

In regards to the 2008 GSXR problem you listed, I have one and I run into that problem...rarely. It seems to usually only happen when I'm starting it up on cold days, and it's usually fine unless I try to leave before it warms up (150f+) or blip the throttle before it's warmed up. It's always corrected itself and never happens when it's warm out. Not sure why it happens but I've been able to always get it going properly shortly, just a minor annoyance.

I'm worried about this because I do ride during the cold...and I thought fuel injection solves "warming up" issues. =(

Back
Top Bottom