GSXR-750
$7500
6,000~km
$1700~ insurance

Fireblade
$8200
13,000~km
$2200~ insurance

Both have full yoshi setups and come with extras (though the GSXR has a PC and the blade doesn't). What is really concerning me, however, is that when I Google either bike for problems this is what I get:

The blade is known to eat oil...the owner insists that it does not and is aware that other 08s have this problem.

The gixxer has an idling issue
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301833
I read through quite a bit of the thread and found that there wasn't a solution and is common.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Neither. Keep looking until you find one that doesn't scare you.

Neither. Keep looking until you find one that doesn't scare you.

I'm actually good with the blade as the owner and I connected really well and I believe him regarding his blade not having an oil eating issue.

However, I can't help but look at the savings I could get going with the 750, but now I'm wondering if I'm really saving anything if I end up with those problems?

油井緋色;1925692 said:
I'm actually good with the blade as the owner and I connected really well and I believe him regarding his blade not having an oil eating issue.

However, I can't help but look at the savings I could get going with the 750, but now I'm wondering if I'm really saving anything if I end up with those problems?

Arent you just going to be cruising around at low rpm? Hardly makes a difference, i would save on insurance and avoid the oil consumption bike.

^Someone tell me if this guy gave a decent or useless reply lol
Think he's been on ignore for a year now.

Id go with a 07 1000rr just cause the oil burning issue doesn't exist for those years. if you do like the 08 1000rr id go with that over the 750, just keep an eye on your oil level. they do burn oil but not as much as some people make em out to be.

Id go with a 07 1000rr just cause the oil burning issue doesn't exist for those years. if you do like the 08 1000rr id go with that over the 750, just keep an eye on your oil level. they do burn oil but not as much as some people make em out to be.

I'm actually okay with the 08 as the owner said it doesn't burn much, if at all, plus it can't be worse than my GS.

I guess the question I should be asking is....

Is it worth the $500/y savings on insurance to go with the 750 and risk running into that "unsolvable" stalling issue? Also, Kevin and Ted at Rosey Toes told me to stay away from gixxers, apparently stuff blows up.

I'm actually really on the fence about this. Originally I was dead set on the blade but then realizing I could save nearly $1,000 initially and $500/y after is making me second guess. But then those savings might go bye bye due to repair costs -_-

My 06 GSXR 1000 was the best bike I have owned.....and I have had tons of bikes. I would assume that the 750 would be the same.

And yes many (all?) 08-10 CBR1000's eat oil. SOme use crazy amounts and HHonda still calls it an acceptable amount and often refuses to do anything about it. That being said, I rode a new CBR1000 and it is one of the best litrebikes I have ever ridden. So easy to ride, great seating position, but seat was hard.

If I were in your shoes I would chance the oil consumption (oil is cheap and plentiful) and easily swallow the added insurance cost to ride the Honda, and have the extra jam of a litre bike....not to mention the CBR has the strongest midrange of any litre bike available....and for a streetbike that is where you'll see the benefit.

Thanks for the heads up as I plan to get a 05-07 CBR1000RR when my 929rr gives up, 2008 they switched to the gey shorty pipe GP style exhaust

油井緋色;1925723 said:
I'm actually okay with the 08 as the owner said it doesn't burn much, if at all, plus it can't be worse than my GS.

I guess the question I should be asking is....

Is it worth the $500/y savings on insurance to go with the 750 and risk running into that "unsolvable" stalling issue? Also, Kevin and Ted at Rosey Toes told me to stay away from gixxers, apparently stuff blows up.

I'm actually really on the fence about this. Originally I was dead set on the blade but then realizing I could save nearly $1,000 initially and $500/y after is making me second guess. But then those savings might go bye bye due to repair costs -_-

Having owned both suzuki and honda i'd go with the honda. And ive owned 3 suzukis in the past.

Also don't forget suzukis "suddenly combustible" issue on the 2006-2011 lol

I forgot to mention one down side of 1000cc sportbikes: you'll never wanna own anything else again and the next time you ride a 600 you'll think its broken hahaahha

Last edited:
For the street a 250 is good enough, but every time you crank it on a 1000cc you'll be smiling ear to ear.

600 does that for me. Don't get me wrong if money wasn't an issue I'd be all over a liter. But not worth it in my financial condition right now

Having owned both suzuki and honda i'd go with the honda. And ive owned 3 suzukis in the past.

Also don't forget suzukis "suddenly combustible" issue on the 2006-2011 lol

I forgot to mention one down side of 1000cc sportbikes: you'll never wanna own anything else again and the next time you ride a 600 you'll think its broken hahaahha

If your referring to the k6/k7 stator over heating then a simple relocation will take care of that. But I agree Honda>Suzuki

Ive got a question for the op...how old r u, how long have you been riding and what have u been riding?

Thanks everyone, I'll likely go w/ the blade at this rate.

Ive got a question for the op...how old r u, how long have you been riding and what have u been riding?

25, 2 seasons, GS500F.

I know it seems a bit (well it is) ridiculous and likely foolhardy to make that kind of jump but a dream is a dream....stupid or not lol

Back
Top Bottom