2007 Suzuki GSXR750 Engine Swap question | GTAMotorcycle.com

2007 Suzuki GSXR750 Engine Swap question

Punisher

Site Supporter
Hi everyone,
Engine Swap Question.. i am having some serious issues with my 2007 GSXR750's engine, a deteriorated seal is leaking oil (counter-shaft seal i believe), the engine sounds horrible when started and engine light goes on. my mechanic friend told me the effort to open up the engine to even get to the seal is quite a bit, and who knows what else is wrong once inside.
Wondering if finding another Used GSXR750 engine and swapping it out might be a cheaper alternative.
now the big question i have is there range of years where the GSXR750 Engine/Frame has not changed and will be compatible without having to do extra mods so it will fit, or will i have to find only a 2007 engine.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

I'm not super awake but counter-shaft seals typically can be replaced very easily, however though while this seal might be leaking oil, there is no way it is causing your engine problems.

I'm not super awake but counter-shaft seals typically can be replaced very easily, however though while this seal might be leaking oil, there is no way it is causing your engine problems.
...but a leaking counter-shaft seal could be the sign of internal engine problems.
There should be virtually NO oil pressure behind that seal. If oil is being forced out of that seal it could be a sign of bad rings, and the resulting crankcase pressure from the blow-by
... and that seal USUALLY has a ridge on the outside to hold it in the case. Brute force and ignorance is usually enough to remove it... then take a sharp knife and remove the ridge on the new seal to install it.

Do we know what the engine light is for? I dont know if you need a scan tool or if it can blink out your answer. How many km on bike? Any idea why the current motor is hurt?

Normally, I dont like random engine swaps as the new one could be worse than the old one (unless you are buying from a trusted source).

please explain ..."the engine sounds terrible"

in detail "how does it sound" exhaust leak? cam chain tap/rattle? ticking? crucnch and grind?

if its serious - motor swap from a crashed bike may be good. but I wouldn't spend too much. 07' s are gettting old and inexpensive in value...

15 years old.

...but a leaking counter-shaft seal could be the sign of internal engine problems.
There should be virtually NO oil pressure behind that seal. If oil is being forced out of that seal it could be a sign of bad rings, and the resulting crankcase pressure from the blow-by
... and that seal USUALLY has a ridge on the outside to hold it in the case. Brute force and ignorance is usually enough to remove it... then take a sharp knife and remove the ridge on the new seal to install it.
With enough blow-by to leak at the counter shaft, wouldn't the air box be full too?

Normally, I dont like random engine swaps as the new one could be worse than the old one (unless you are buying from a trusted source).
^a big yes.

to me, it is sometimes better to get the engine while it is in a crashed bike. at least you know the bike was a runner. not much else though. buyer beware!

I know a bike mechanic who came by to take a look at the bike, he was the one who indentified the bad seal and the source of the oil leak. he said to replace this Seal would unfortuantly require splitting the engine case to get at it. it was a soft rubber seal that had just deteriorated over time

My bike has around 35,000km, its a 2007, so its been used.
Uploaded a few vids below i took previously to try and give a better idea of how the bike sounds, sounds worse in person but maybe this will answer the questions BoyOBoy was asking.

I'm no mechanic so i cant really explain the sounds, but i just know it definitely sounds different and not good, plus the engine light went on with in a minute. i dont have one of those Error Code Readers, so i cant say what the Error is.

Just some background on what happened before the bike started leaking oil, i was out for a spirited ride on the 401 in the evening, nothing to crazy but the revs where up there but still below redline, anyway i felt the bike kind of stutter and then i rolled off the throttle a bit and thats when i noticed the Engine Light had come on. I pulled off onto the should within a minute. i saw the oil dripping from my bike on the pavement, called CAA and had the bike towed

i know there is obviously a risk of getting another bad motor, but like a few of you mentioned, was hoping i might come across a racer who is just parting out their gsxr due to a crash.
But that was also one of my main questions... are the GSXR 750 engines pretty unique every year in which casse i would have to look specicially for a 2007, or could there be a few years where they are still common enough that they may still fit my 2007 without any mods.

My bike has around 35,000km, its a 2007, so its been used.
Uploaded a few vids below i took previously to try and give a better idea of how the bike sounds, sounds worse in person but maybe this will answer the questions BoyOBoy was asking.

I'm no mechanic so i cant really explain the sounds, but i just know it definitely sounds different and not good, plus the engine light went on with in a minute. i dont have one of those Error Code Readers, so i cant say what the Error is.

Just some background on what happened before the bike started leaking oil, i was out for a spirited ride on the 401 in the evening, nothing to crazy but the revs where up there but still below redline, anyway i felt the bike kind of stutter and then i rolled off the throttle a bit and thats when i noticed the Engine Light had come on. I pulled off onto the should within a minute. i saw the oil dripping from my bike on the pavement, called CAA and had the bike towed

i know there is obviously a risk of getting another bad motor, but like a few of you mentioned, was hoping i might come across a racer who is just parting out their gsxr due to a crash.
But that was also one of my main questions... are the GSXR 750 engines pretty unique every year in which casse i would have to look specicially for a 2007, or could there be a few years where they are still common enough that they may still fit my 2007 without any mods.
Ewww. Thanks for posting videos. How much oil was in the bike when you got it home after the tow? I concur, from the sound, I would be looking for a replacement motor. Did you do an oil change after? How sparkly was it? What colour sparkles?

Sorry, I can't answer your 750 specific questions, I have no knowledge of those bikes.

sorry my mistake , it is not the "Counter Shaft Seal" that's leaking...it looks like its the "Plug Balancer Shaft Hole" seal.

#28 in the crankcase diagram below

The oil level looked to be at the bottom of the Oil Window, so i dont think much actually leaked out since i stopped riding the bike fairly quickly.
I have my bike on a bike stand with a tray underneath to catch the oil, and its just a very slow leak/drip with the bike off.
if i turn the bike its not spraying oil but it starts dripping pretty good.
anyway cant comment on the oil colour or sparkles, maybe i will drain it later and see.

To get the code, you need to find the white dealer mode connector under the seat with a rubber cap on it. Remove the rubber cap and jump the 2 wires. Then start the bike up and see what code pops up.

FI_CODE.jpg

dlrjump.jpg

That diagram is not much help the bolt is listed as an o ring and vice versa.

#29 looks like what you mean and it looks like it could be replaced with out splitting the cases - but that's just based on the diagram.

Easier better plan sell the bike as is buy something newer.
No worries and everything is fixed.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Yes, really easy to get the code as shown above and that could give a lot of answers (ranging from cheap to not).
After owning 5 06+ GSXR's I will say the 600/750/1000 are all bombproof and 35,000 street km is nothing and most times it takes something really dumb to hurt one badly. It happens, though by fault or not, just saying though they're pretty bombproof.
06-10 are the same motor.

i know the engine light went on weeks back but it wont come on now even if i run the bike for a few minutes. the bike sounds even worse then before, i took another video.
I have also done the jumper wire trick to get the error code, and its only return C00 for no error.
I did finally drained the engine oil and there is TONS of metal shavings in it, i will try and attached the pics
Just guessing here but maybe some bearings in the connecting rod or crank or something, regardless i guess its safe to assume its something pretty severe and expensive.

Looks like i am left with 3 options...
1) Sell bike as is OR part it out whats left of my baby :(
Get a mechanic to pull the engine out and split it open and either .....2) fix it or 3) source out another engine

Note on the Engine Swap... sounds like an 06-750 and possibly a 600cc may also fit in my 07 frame, if anyone has done this before and it went good or bad let me know.

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Putting a 600 in would be asking for insurance headaches. The engine swap would be your best bet if you really like the bike and can find a used engine from a crashed one.

Back
Top Bottom