2006 Suzuki S40 650 "Savage" The $486 auction bike. | GTAMotorcycle.com

2006 Suzuki S40 650 "Savage" The $486 auction bike.

GVH

Since we are all bored and sick of this situation lets go through hopefully another quick and cheap project bike. Welcome to the 2006 Suzuki S40 or Savage 650. This bike was an insurance loss but with a clean ownership. Estimated repairs $4100. purchase price. $250 out the door $486. Listed with keys, doesn't run possible mechanical. The estimate called for. Gas tank, Front foot pegs left and right, mirrors, right rear signal, upper and lower belt guard, battery, muffler and front fender. The positive only about 9K

As you can see from the pics they didn't lie about those foot pegs. In the pic with the stupid rapped header and loud muffler you can just see a ding in the tank. This is from the stupid crappy aftermarket mirrors and probably not from the tip over. They hit in full lock. That was the extent of the tank damage. Front fender has a similar scuff. Dead battery is charging. I can also smell stale gas from the airbox. Also seems to be original IRC tires on the bike.

PSI7STl.gif

q6sHQd6.gif

p3a5N2q.gif

tW6CiKd.gif

Had one of those, was my wife’s ride. TheY are pretty cool bikes, pull like a tractor and very easy to ride. Parts are cheap, reliable as a city bus.

Good luck with the project.

They look cool, but I wouldn't be putting that much into a flip bike right now. It could be a hard sell at the price required to pay for the kit, donor bike, repairs and hopefully a tiny bit for your time.
Don't buy a kit, just the pieces that you want - most of it is DIY and bolt on.

The auctions have cover them selves. If the vehicle has keys but doesn’t or can’t be started for any reason including a dead battery they put PM or possible mechanical. If it has a digital dash and a dead or missing battery then TKU True Kilometres Unknown. Stuff like that. When I bought the Shadow parts bike with irreplaceable title it was no keys, PM, and 67K (insurance docs) when I picked it up. Keys in the ignition, fired up, 6700 k. It is a bit of a crap shoot sometimes. You can also look at the insurance estimates online if your a registered buyer and logged in.

Since the S40 is sporting an aftermarket fuel filter and a Yamaha Raptor 660 fuel petcock a common mod it has fuelling problems.

So battery took and is holding a charge. Full choke and a bit of throttle it eventually started. Revd up very high. Took choke off still reving to high then died. On closer inspection idle screw turned way up. After removing air filter it is dripping gas. Airbox full of stale gas. The fuel filter last owner installed is full of what was the gas tank liner. From experience I also checked the oil. Stinks of gas. The Raptor fuel tap installed doesn't use the vacuum line it gravity feeds. Being it was left on with dirty or something carb is bad. So carb needs cleaning, oil change required and eventually new air filter. With a little help I disassembled the foot pegs and beat them straight ish. Thin damaged metal is ready to break and no aftermarket for this bike. I do have some Python pegs but need to see if they will line up.

Waiting on oil filter. Getting Castrol from CT. time to get carb off and look inside.

Vro03ML.gif

ONPzfZI.jpg

So a little progress. cleaned out the airbox. Now letting it air dry. Removed the carb to clean and inspect. The easy way to get carb out is to remove battery, remove chrome battery box, Remove tank which means removing speedo cable and unplugging idiot lights. Then hose to air box. Joy and happiness. I was expecting a dirty plugged up carb. You tell me what you see that might cause a leaking carb.

A2rdXcR.gif

That pin is rock solid in place and reversed. Either it got dropped as they made the pull of the gods getting it out or someone did something stupid. Sonic says they probably have one price $150 if needed. More pics on the carb clean up. Not really dirty or nasty just broken.

bCswLX3.gif

7r9uYhZ.gif

So a little progress. cleaned out the airbox. Now letting it air dry. Removed the carb to clean and inspect. The easy way to get carb out is to remove battery, remove chrome battery box, Remove tank which means removing speedo cable and unplugging idiot lights. Then hose to air box. Joy and happiness. I was expecting a dirty plugged up carb. You tell me what you see that might cause a leaking carb.

A2rdXcR.gif

maybe the float valve / seat

The oil change was done as well. According to the online forums do it tis way to get 2.5 liters out otherwise only 2.1 comes out. I got 3 plus liters out stinking of gas.

DLMdrcQ.gif

The half circle piece ? it's not broken. Well I don't think so. Holds the float seat in place. You can just see a bit of it in the first pic.

Back
Top Bottom