2005 zx 10r pricing and reviews? | GTAMotorcycle.com

2005 zx 10r pricing and reviews?

ajaxguy

So i have decided against the 954, the looks just dont do it for me. It was a good deal, but not my cup of tea.
So now im leaning towards a zx10, 2005 prefferably due to the no recall thing i read about.
I heard this bike is a beast and still the lightest litre bike evr made, yet still has tons of managable power. I have owned a couple r1s, lots of 600s so i think this would be a good bike for me.

So now, what would a fair price for an 05 with average kms and maybe a slipon for options be?
Also, if you have owned one before, what to look out for?

Thanks!

I dont wanna race one, but I will have a talk with him

Its the stupidest thing i've ever ridden. The power delivery is hilarious.

I don't think any other current liter bike would be as much fun as a street bike. The liter bike market in Ontario sucks too, prices are pretty good. In 2008 i sold my stock orange 04 for $5500.

Its the stupidest thing i've ever ridden. The power delivery is hilarious.

I don't think any other current liter bike would be as much fun as a street bike. The liter bike market in Ontario sucks too, prices are pretty good. In 2008 i sold my stock orange 04 for $5500.

Ya that's what I hear about the power on these!

$5500 seems like a good price. So would $4500 for an 05 be a good deal?

Below 9000rpm if you're cruising around town they are very well behaved. You can cruise around in 4th gear at 4000rpm easily enough. Above 9000rpm it's a totally different bike. Granted mine was geared -2+3 but it would lift the front in 3rd just throttle. 4th with a tug on the bars.

Get a damper. It's scary without one.

If it's in good shape, yea i would consider $4500 a very good deal.

Below 9000rpm if you're cruising around town they are very well behaved. You can cruise around in 4th gear at 4000rpm easily enough. Above 9000rpm it's a totally different bike. Granted mine was geared -2+3 but it would lift the front in 3rd just throttle. 4th with a tug on the bars.

Get a damper. It's scary without one.

If it's in good shape, yea i would consider $4500 a very good deal.

As stupid as it sounds, I mainly use my bike to get to work and the the odd nightly boot and weekend ride. So I think I would get to experience both sides of the beast.

Ya I heard that too, it should have been mandatory from what I hear!

Ok cool, I have to check it out still, but from what I see it looks really good, not alot of goodies though, and i would definately want an undertail!

I have a 2004 (same bike) with about 65,000 km on it (and it's not for sale).

Steering damper is a must, and getting the suspension properly set up (i.e. softened!) by someone who knows what they're doing is a must. With that done, they are a lot more manageable, but are still the definition of silliness. Ear to ear grin all the time because of how nutty they are. The later models were tamed down somewhat.

Be careful with so-called "undertails". One of the weight-saving measures on these bikes is that the bodywork is flimsy (a little too flimsy, in places). Make sure the tail section remains supported at the 4 fasteners where the stock rear fender attaches.

I doubt if you'll find one below $5k that hasn't been pre-crashed for you.

Good point on the tail section. The 4 mounting tabs under the front and rear seats are prone to cracking/breaking so if you're going to check one out pop the passenger seat off and see if they are ok. On the plus side, bodywork for that 10R is surprisingly inexpensive. I had the tabs on my orange 04 tail section break on me and i got a complete new tail section for under $300.

I had a nice fender eliminator with LED turn signals with the OEM connectors soldered in. I'm not sure where it is but i'll take another look to see if i can find it. It will support the tail from the bottom as Brian suggested.

It really doesn't need much to be great. A nice slip-on, a damper, and maybe drop a tooth on the front sprocket. Bingo bango!

I have a 2004 (same bike) with about 65,000 km on it (and it's not for sale).

Steering damper is a must, and getting the suspension properly set up (i.e. softened!) by someone who knows what they're doing is a must. With that done, they are a lot more manageable, but are still the definition of silliness. Ear to ear grin all the time because of how nutty they are. The later models were tamed down somewhat.

Be careful with so-called "undertails". One of the weight-saving measures on these bikes is that the bodywork is flimsy (a little too flimsy, in places). Make sure the tail section remains supported at the 4 fasteners where the stock rear fender attaches.

I doubt if you'll find one below $5k that hasn't been pre-crashed for you.

I would go to riders choice and get it setup, they hooked me up befor and i was happy with it.
If i get one, im defintely looking forward to the war to ear grin! lol.

Maybe best just to get the license plate bracket and then get some small led flashers with it.

I think You can find them under 5k without being crashed, the litre bikes are tough sells, so ya. the one im checking now definately hasnt been crashed!

I've owned many bikes over the past 15 years. I recently went from a 636 to an 05 ZX10R. It's by far the best street bike I've ever ridden. It's more comfy than other super sports too. I did 1/2 dozen track days last year and for me it was way too much to handle on the track. Mine still has stock gearing I can't even imagine how silly it would be after changing the gearing. It actually still scares the crap out of me. Under $5K for a clean 04-05 would be a great deal. I bought mine bone stock I'm only the 2nd owner. It doesn't take long for aftermarket goodies to add up. Stainless lines $150, levers $200, fender eliminator that supports the tail from the bottom $100, frame sliders $100, stock windscreen is crap and you probably wont be able to see the speedo so windscreen will be $100, slip on is gonna be at least $300, decent damper with mounting kit $500. I've been playing with the idea of getting rid of mine and have put it up for sale a few times to get a better suited track bike or a sport tourer. But I'm not that motivated to sell it. I get alot of 20 year olds that ask if the bike can wheelie.

Can you let me know what undertail you got? Also which windscreen, cuz i know they usually are cheaper then $100 right? did you go with a zero gravity or double bubble or something?

Another thing, I heard the brakes are pretty crap. Did you change them? I know the braided lines help, but i heard of people swapping a 636 master cyclinder on it.

I have a zero gavity double bubble and a puig double bubble. I like the Puig best. I swapped the master cylinder to an R1 brembo and changed the calipers to a set from a CBR1000RR. The biggest problem IMO with the 04-05 ZX10R brakes is that it doesn't have a radial master cylinder. Even swapping the master cylinder to a radial from a ZX6R would probably help.

The transmission on my 2004 wasn't that great, They improved them on the 2005.
My brakes were modified by Ben at ProStar with steel lines and worked well.
Great fun, wheelies over the third crest on the Mosport back straight at well over 240.
Had no issues with the forks, had an ohlins on the back though.

Weren't you getting a dirt bike?

The transmission on my 2004 wasn't that great, They improved them on the 2005.
My brakes were modified by Ben at ProStar with steel lines and worked well.
Great fun, wheelies over the third crest on the Mosport back straight at well over 240.
Had no issues with the forks, had an ohlins on the back though.

Weren't you getting a dirt bike?

Ya that was after my dirt bike outing last year, but i have since abandoned that idea! If i could afford both then ya i would, but i cant so its street for me.

missed out on the deal i wanted, the guy ended up selling it higher, but he did say if he didnt sell it today then he would sell it to me for $4400. He ended getting the $5200 he wanted, but that was outside of my budget, even though that was a great price.
Plus I didnt actually see the bike cuz it was far, so who knows what exactly it was like. I wanna keep my prices down cuz i usually selll after a year cuz i put 25k on in one season, so to get any money back in resale, kms need to be low and i can only usually keep for one season. This on top of litre bikes are hard enough to sell, let alone one thats over 35 km.
On to looking again!

Back
Top Bottom