2004 Yamaha fz6 - throttle issue

So it took all of just 30 minutes to get the plastics, gas tank and the top of the airbox off. It started to drizzle so I had to put the bike back into hiding.

I still need to remove the airbox and test the sensor. Those Allen screws holding the airbox down are in a pain in the ass spot. Its too dark in my shed to try to take them out.









Youtube Video:

I'd cross-posting that to a Yamaha FZ6-specific forum and hope a fellow owner with much more experience with the potential idiosyncrasies of that bike recognizes the problem.
 
Not that simple. I am pretty sure the footpeg brackets are operating as designed, which means there's no point replacing them.

Any news on why your throttle blades aren't fully returning to idle position? Has to be a mechanical obstruction.

Yep, I got into it today. Check out the latest video:

 
So watching the video I still don’t see what was happening?
 
Throttle body linkage caught on the edge of the rubber splash sheet that wasn't positioned properly.

Left corner looks like it could still be tucked in better, possibly behind the guide. An FZ6 owner would have likely pointed that out as soon as they saw a pic, but congrats on your friend pointing it out and it being an easy free fix.
 
Throttle body linkage caught on the edge of the rubber splash sheet that wasn't positioned properly.

Left corner looks like it could still be tucked in better, possibly behind the guide. An FZ6 owner would have likely pointed that out as soon as they saw a pic, but congrats on your friend pointing it out and it being an easy free fix.
I did tuck that left side in better... Off camera.

Yeah, I invited my neighbor to watch me work on it and chat. I'm glad he pointed it out as soon as we took the airbox off.

Thank you to everyone who followed along in the thread and offered suggestions and encouragement. Glad it wasn't too serious!

Now to ride a few more times before getting the bike ready for winter storage.
 
Great thread. Great outcome. That's what forums are for. I learned something. Nice to read some motorcycle content for a change.
I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. I'll be honest, I wish it never happened. I missed my hockey teams BBQ because of it. Lol.

But I'm glad we were able to figure it out, collectively... Great team effort.
 
. I tucked it in where I believe it belongs. I don't think it will be able to pop out again.
you have some faith in it not happening again, vs just removing a bit of plastic. If its a known issue on other bikes, did they all get reinstalled wrong??
 
you have some faith in it not happening again, vs just removing a bit of plastic. If its a known issue on other bikes, did they all get reinstalled wrong??
My faith rests with the Japanese engineers who designed that rub mat. It's there for a purpose. Possibly to shed water away from the engine/intake.

I don't know if it's a known issue. As far as I know, I'm the only one who it happened to.
 
If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Yep, but doing a valve clearance and timing chain job is too intimidating for my skill set. Give me a $200 bike and I'll try it. But don't have high hopes of it being successful. Lol
 
Yep, but doing a valve clearance and timing chain job is too intimidating for my skill set. Give me a $200 bike and I'll try it. But don't have high hopes of it being successful. Lol
To your private driveway mechanic YOUR bike is a $200 bike.

A lot of mechanics at shops are no different. Even dealers aren't much better; they're just armed with factory service manuals.

So where's YOUR factory service manual? Get one if you're going to keep the bike and work on it. If you have enough faith that team of engineers designed the bike well you should at least get the proper documentation that states what is what and where it goes and how it gets there.

Notice how I wrote factory and NOT haynes or chilton.

Working in a bike (especially a fast one) isn't supposed to be a puzzle. Puzzles are games: this is way more serious.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom