2002 Ninja 250 - issues (spark pugs, dirty carbs, won't idle, etc?) | GTAMotorcycle.com

2002 Ninja 250 - issues (spark pugs, dirty carbs, won't idle, etc?)

Pocket Sprocket

Site Supporter
Hey GTAM,

I posted a video to YouTube and here it is, can anyone tell from the sound what is wrong with it?
Have some assumptions/best guesses, but love the knowledge of GTAM.

Would idle at about 4-5k rpm with full choke. Can roll off choke and on throttle to keep it above minimum rev's to keep it on. Can't rev above about 7k rpm, it just.. won't.

Full disclosure, bike sat for 18 months with some stabilizer.
This weekend; Replaced the battery; added a quarter tank of fresh gas, most is old though; Did oil change, running synthetic now...

Trying to avoid Kahuna, etc. and figure this thing out.

Any thoughts/insight please?

Thank you!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U1So3Ja6Ec

bike sat for 18 months with some stabilizer. added a quarter tank of fresh gas, most is old though
WTF were you thinking? You gotta get that old ish out of there and put some fresh 87 octane in there!

Start with that and go from there.

-Jamie M.

Really appreciate the feedback.

Was embarassed to admit that quoted part, among some other parts of the OP...

getting it back into shape.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the feedback.

Was embarassed to admit that quoted part, among some other parts of the OP...

getting it back into shape.
No probs, it's good you told us, otherwise we might not have suggested the easy stuff!!

Hopefully the carbs aren't too gummed up!

Make sure you let us know how it goes.

-Jamie M.

Try fresh gas, if that fails then its time to take the carbs out for a clean. While your in there, it might not be a bad idea for some new plugs... They're cheap enough that you might as well do it while the bike is apart.

Also, have you tried messing with the idle adjuster?

Just thought I'd finish the thread off... serviced at Kahuna, all good, been riding to work :)
oil in the gas (or vice versa), shrunken air gasket (dried out), carbs cleaned, fresh gas, drive train service, something else I'm sure.. back on the road.

Point of interest, having to repair it after letting it sit was more than the dollar value of a year of insurance (I'm 30 yr old, ninjette 250).. insurance this year is $410, repairs was about $550, plus the tow to the shop = should have just insured last year.

Just thought I'd finish the thread off... serviced at Kahuna, all good, been riding to work :)
oil in the gas (or vice versa), shrunken air gasket (dried out), carbs cleaned, fresh gas, drive train service, something else I'm sure.. back on the road.

Point of interest, having to repair it after letting it sit was more than the dollar value of a year of insurance (I'm 30 yr old, ninjette 250).. insurance this year is $410, repairs was about $550, plus the tow to the shop = should have just insured last year.

How many years of experience riding do you have and what insurance company are you with? please do tell. I pay double what you do, first year riding and over 40. Thanks.

pilot jets plugged. no doubt!

Back
Top Bottom