2001 r6 help (stalling) | GTAMotorcycle.com

2001 r6 help (stalling)

lordm

so i changed my plugs like i normally do every year. same plugs. so ride to work in the morning weather was around 15 degrees dry not wet bike runs good pulls strong. ride home in the after noon dry conditions temp was around 25 degrees, bike pulls good but when i go to slow down to a stop she dies. need to apply choke to keep running while not moving.

I have checked for spark, fuel and air. they are all good.
fuel pump tested and works fine.

i taken the bike apart and checked all conections and vacum lines and they are in proper position.

any ideas.
thanks

Have you tried turning up the idle speed a bit using the idle adjustment knob on the right side of the bike so it idles at around 1200 rpm when warmed up? Sometimes just a little tweak is all that's needed. I would also suggest running a couple of tankfuls of Shell v-Power gas through it. It has more detergents to help clean out your carbs if there is any varnish buildup in them (you might have a little varnish in your pilot jets). If that works then you might find that you have to turn the idle back down once it's cleaned up.

Last edited:
so for an update i have taken the carbs out cleaned everthing. bike is better now she wont rev past 10,500rpm while rideing.

A few questions.....

so i changed my plugs like i normally do every year.

Why do you change your plugs out every year?!

I have checked for spark, fuel and air. they are all good.

How did you check your spark ? Visually? spark plug tester?

Fuel? How did you test your fuel?

Air? How the heck did you test your air!?

fuel pump tested and works fine.
'

How did you perform this test? What were your steps?

so for an update i have taken the carbs out cleaned everthing. bike is better now she wont rev past 10,500rpm while rideing.

What did you do to clean your carbs out? What parts / compoents did you cleaN? how did you perform this cleaning?

A few questions.....

Why do you change your plugs out every year?!

How did you check your spark ? Visually? spark plug tester?

Fuel? How did you test your fuel?

Air? How the heck did you test your air
'

How did you perform this test? What were your steps?

What did you do to clean your carbs out? What parts / compoents did you cleaN? how did you perform this cleaning?

i change plugs every year just by force of habit.
sparke was test with a spark plug tester.
air was tested (if the bike runs it must be getting air)
fuel was tested based on the service manual test .
i took out the pilot jet and main jet cleaned them blew air through the passages and took the slides out and cleaned the needles.

Sorry but that's the dummest question ever about why does he change spark plugs every year. It's obvious that they can make a huge difference and I. Change em often they are pocket change in cost.
As for your bike not reving high that's weird. In hot weather.
Is your temp gauge working? If your Temp sensor is messed your cdi would limit your revs. When's the last time you did a coolant flush?

Last edited:
i took out the pilot jet and main jet cleaned them blew air through the passages and took the slides out and cleaned the needles.

Soooo I'm assuming you tested air by switching the bike on? Not much for an "air" test o_O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry but that's the dummest question ever about why does he change spark plugs every year. It's obvious that they can make a huge difference and I. Change em often they are pocket change in cost.
As for your bike not reving high that's weird. In hot weather.
Is your temp gauge working? If your Temp sensor is messed your cdi would limit your revs. When's the last time you did a coolant flush?

did a coolant flush before i stored for winter.

That's strange and your temp hasn't been getting hot at all when it's not letting u rev high

Temp is fine
Did you do any mods since this started? Back to the other guys question now do you have a airbox or pods? Maybe a mouse got in your airbox? I've seen that before.
And for your carbs you took out all the needles and let them sit in carb cleaner over night?

Can you check your coil resistance(s) and see if they are within spec? Your service manual will have the procedure. On the R6 forum (might want to post there too) another user complained of fouled plugs often (he had to change them every year), and weird stalling and wouldn't rev over 9k rpm, turned out he had a bad coil and one "almost" bad. He replaced the two and said it runs like a champ right to redline and his plugs looked like brand new after a year! :)

Good thing I don't replace mine every year, $60 a set! *eeek!*

-Jamie M.

If you have to use the choke to keep your bike idling at low rpms then that would mean your bike is runing lean..
Maybe before doing anything you might want to see if the air mixture screw is set properly.

Also if you just took it out if storage. You are running with stabilized fuel still? Maybe get that out and some new fuel in and then check your aur mixture screw

60 bucks for a set of spark plugs.. Ur getting raped. Even if you have dual plugs on 1 cylinder that's 8 plugs which cost around 30 bucks. Who Evers bending you over do the give lube too?

60 bucks for a set of spark plugs.. Ur getting raped. Even if you have dual plugs on 1 cylinder that's 8 plugs which cost around 30 bucks. Who Evers bending you over do the give lube too?

30 / 8 = $3.75 with tax per plug.

Where are you buying these plugs so cheap?

Spark plug tester will only tell you if a plug is dead or not, if a coil isn't working...there won't be any spark.

If the bike runs...yes its getting air....but not running well...higher rpm / load...more air/fuel you need.

"fuel was tested based on the service manual test " --> I dont have the manual in front of me, but what does it say to test and how to test it? List your steps / readinds / results.

"i took out the pilot jet and main jet cleaned them blew air through the passages and took the slides out and cleaned the needles." -->
did you put them back in properly? they'r adjusted?

I use Denso Iridium 5367 (IU31A) spark plugs. I can get them for $15/ea shipped from Factory Pro. If you can find them anywhere cheaper than that please let me know :(

-Jamie M.

Back
Top Bottom