1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis??

MaksTO

So I'm not a sport bike guy, but DAMN these are so beautiful.

Seems they could be had for cheap-ish when they pop up. Anyone own one before? Thoughts on them regarding ride, reliability? i4 carbureted bikes seem terrifying to maintain. Tried an i4 recently (Katana 750) and was amazed how smooth that is compared to the KLR650.

Curious if insurance on them is as high as on modern SS bikes?

I'm not actively seeking to buy one yet, but I am dreaming about this thing every night. Realistically it's super irresponsible for me to own two bikes when I don't even have a proper garage space or a car, but dang... n+1 right?

30 years old, let the buyer beware.
Motors had a reputation for being fragile (based on the 400).
Unless it was mint I'd pass.

30 years old, let the buyer beware.
Motors had a reputation for being fragile (based on the 400).
Unless it was mint I'd pass.

Yeah I remember reading that the engines were quite fragile on them in some cases, especially considering many were raced. Curious it there was a difference in reliability between the 400 and 600 though.

I have two FZR400s, one was my race bike for 20+ years.

Clutch on the 600 is more-or-less the same as the one on the 400. It's adequate in the 400, iffy on the 600.

Second gear engagement dogs do not tolerate abuse well.

The 18" rear wheel is troublesome for getting good tires in this day and age.

Stock seat is a torture rack.

Parts availability is as iffy as one would expect for a 30 year old bike.

Whether it's a maintenance nightmare or not depends on how previous owners treated it (or neglected it) ... and there could have been a lot of them by now.

My buddy has had a '92 for 7 years now and I've done a lot of maintenance work on his behalf :LOL:. Fun bike that wasn't really meant for the street - expect to replace worn-out needle jets on top of, well, pretty much everything else.

Tire selection is limited but they are out there - we put totally respectable Shinkos on his.

Insurance should be dirt cheap - FWIW it isn't considered a sportbike by Riders Plus.

DROOL...

God I will have to find one one day. When I have a proper garage that's actually where I live. What an absolutely special thing.

Will probably stick to newer stuff for time being. Vintage sport bike dreams on hold for now :cautious:.

it was my first brand new bike, an '86

sold it for furniture money when I shacked up with the first serious GF

guess how much I hate that decision now

I always check for a "buyers guide" through an owners group before I buy anything, but it's critical for vintage. It should give you a good idea of what to look out for, known issues, and what (if anything) can be done about them (including parts availability and aftermarket alternatives.

I always check for a "buyers guide" through an owners group before I buy anything, but it's critical for vintage. It should give you a good idea of what to look out for, known issues, and what (if anything) can be done about them (including parts availability and aftermarket alternatives.

Good call!

I would say it is a bad idea to buy a bike, more than let's say about, 20 years old, unless you knew EXACTLY what you're getting into.
Don't buy a bike 'cuz it's cheap, buy the bike you WANT.

I would say it is a bad idea to buy a bike, more than let's say about, 20 years old, unless you knew EXACTLY what you're getting into.
Don't buy a bike 'cuz it's cheap, buy the bike you WANT.

My current bike is exactly 20 years old haha. Actually very reliable. Though KLR so guess that's why.

Not so much a fan of modern bike looks. And the power of a modern 600 is just not something I am particularly interested in either. If I go modern it will be a naked of sorts like an xsr700 or something. Or a proper supermoto. Though, then the question of insurance becomes more of a factor.

Those old school double headlights though :love:

My current bike is exactly 20 years old haha. Actually very reliable. Though KLR so guess that's why.

Not so much a fan of modern bike looks. And the power of a modern 600 is just not something I am particularly interested in either. If I go modern it will be a naked of sorts like an xsr700 or something. Or a proper supermoto. Though, then the question of insurance becomes more of a factor.

Those old school double headlights though :love:

Would love to get a supermoto but I’ve heard they don’t handle a lot of street kms well. I haven’t looked too much into it yet just drooling so far because I know it would be so much fun

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yup, just because something is old, doesn't mean it's not reliable. My 88 Hawk GT is bulletproof. Maintenance is so simple for everything - valve adjustments just require a screwdriver, chain adjusts with a twist of an adjuster, rear wheel comes off with one nut, tank comes off with 2 bolts. It even has a center stand so you don't have to bust out a stand all the time. But insurance is a problem. I wish Hagerty would cover motorcycles in Canada like they do in the US.

Would love to get a supermoto but I’ve heard they don’t handle a lot of street kms well. I haven’t looked too much into it yet just drooling so far because I know it would be so much fun

Get one as a second bike then. Insurance is dirt cheap on them. If I had to get rid of all my bikes except for one, it would be one of my SXV's hands down.

Get one as a second bike then. Insurance is dirt cheap on them. If I had to get rid of all my bikes except for one, it would be one of my SXV's hands down.

Is it really cheaper to insure a second bike?

I've been gawking at the Husqvarna 501 and 701 but they are a little $$$$$ for me. Will probably end up going the Standard/Naked route.

It's not cheaper because it's a second bike, it's because it's a supermoto. My SXV450 is $358/yr with comprehensive through Desjardins. My 550 would be $100 more, but it's not set up for the street.

It's not cheaper because it's a second bike, it's because it's a supermoto. My SXV450 is $358/yr with comprehensive through Desjardins. My 550 would be $100 more, but it's not set up for the street.

That sounds insanely cheap. I don't think I'd get a rate like that at 23 with 2 years experience though. I always thought Supermotos were expensive to insure because people always wreck them? I remember quotes for a DRZ400 were almost double what I pay for the KLR.

Back
Top Bottom