1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis??

That sounds insanely cheap. I don't think I'd get a rate like that at 23 with 2 years experience though. I always thought Supermotos were expensive to insure because people always wreck them? I remember quotes for a DRZ400 were almost double what I pay for the KLR.
SXV wouldn't be a common bike for the young and dumb to buy and crash.

SXV wouldn't be a common bike for the young and dumb to buy and crash.

The price tag of one suggests that yeah. Might be a little out of my price range when it comes to maintenance.

I think having a KLR and supermoto would be kind of similar. If I have a second bike I'd likely want something more highway capable and gutsy.

That being said, owning two bikes without a house/garage is also not a very bright idea in general I think. Though I never want to sell my KLR. Might wait until I go up an income bracket or two one day/decade and have the space to safely house and insure two vehicles. Not to mention I don't own a car which is sort of more of a priority than a second bike(?).

ugh, the benefits of living downtown are getting fewer and fewer for me as times go on. Especially with covid...

The price tag of one suggests that yeah. Might be a little out of my price range when it comes to maintenance.

I think having a KLR and supermoto would be kind of similar. If I have a second bike I'd likely want something more highway capable and gutsy.

That being said, owning two bikes without a house/garage is also not a very bright idea in general I think. Though I never want to sell my KLR. Might wait until I go up an income bracket or two one day/decade and have the space to safely house and insure two vehicles. Not to mention I don't own a car which is sort of more of a priority than a second bike(?).

ugh, the benefits of living downtown are getting fewer and fewer for me as times go on. Especially with covid...
Ural with a sidecar for the winter and a supermoto as a hooligan bike in the summer?

Ural with a sidecar for the winter and a supermoto as a hooligan bike in the summer?

I actually only want a car to carry windsurfing stuff and my butt to beaches hahaha.

Had a thread on the sidecar thing earlier. Ultimately seems like so much effort for a mediocre outcome for my specific need. I can probably get a construction van used for the price of a custom or pre-built sidecar, and have space to camp inside it left over with my board and sails inside it.

I actually only want a car to carry windsurfing stuff and my butt to beaches hahaha.

Had a thread on the sidecar thing earlier. Ultimately seems like so much effort for a mediocre outcome for my specific need. I can probably get a construction van used for the price of a custom or pre-built sidecar, and have space to camp inside it left over with my board and sails inside it.

Get a quote on a 2005 or older van through Hagerty Canada. The only restrictions are that you can't drive it to work or shopping, which it sounds like you never will. I've been thinking about getting another Odyssey since it's a bit of a pain to always assemble and wire up my Trailer In A Bag, then disassemble and pack it away when done. Hagerty quoted me $100/yr for liability only if I added it to my existing policy with them. Make sure you remove the Hagerty Driver's club or whatever they call it - they tack it on with every quote and make it look like it's mandatory.

I keep forgetting you have a KLR. What size is it again, and can't you just buy a set of sumo wheels for it?

Get a quote on a 2005 or older van through Hagerty Canada. The only restrictions are that you can't drive it to work or shopping, which it sounds like you never will. I've been thinking about getting another Odyssey since it's a bit of a pain to always assemble and wire up my Trailer In A Bag, then disassemble and pack it away when done. Hagerty quoted me $100/yr for liability only if I added it to my existing policy with them. Make sure you remove the Hagerty Driver's club or whatever they call it - they tack it on with every quote and make it look like it's mandatory.

Hmm that sounds awesome. I gotta get my G asap haha.

What do they intend it to be used for if not for work or shopping? I guess just casual transportation of things?

Would be nice as a grocery getter :D

Might try to get a minivan in that case or something. Whatever is easiest and cheapest to maintain and can be left outside year round.

Wait this is a motorcycle forum. Came for sick vintage Japanese sport bikes, leaving with a Chevy Express ?

its a 650. Or do you mean wheel size? I think people put 17" warp 9's on them all the time.
Warp 9 offers a 19" front wheel conversion for KLR650. If you order it without the brake rotor the price is very reasonable. That, a Rocky Mountain ATV lowering link kit and shorter sidestand makes for a a great urban assault vehicle.

Warp 9 offers a 19" front wheel conversion for KLR650. If you order it without the brake rotor the price is very reasonable. That, a Rocky Mountain ATV lowering link kit and shorter sidestand makes for a a great urban assault vehicle.

Whoa. Sounds awesome. Might be better on the highway when lowered too and with road tires? Would love to ride with a 14t to learn to wheelie but I think the trade offs are not worth it (awful highway performance, being marginal at best already with a 16t sprocket).

Whoa. Sounds awesome. Might be better on the highway when lowered too and with road tires? Would love to ride with a 14t to learn to wheelie but I think the trade offs are not worth it (awful highway performance, being marginal at best already with a 16t sprocket).
I went 16t on the front and down 2 teeth on the rear. Lowered rpm at 100kmh to 4,000. I keep wavering about ordering the 19" wheel kit - you first (LOL). The only downside I can see is speedo error.

I went 16t on the front and down 2 teeth on the rear. Lowered rpm at 100kmh to 4,000. I keep wavering about ordering the 19" wheel kit - you first (LOL). The only downside I can see is speedo error.

The wheel set costs as much as I paid for my bike originally hahaha. Might see if I can put out a feeler and get some used ones.

The wheel set costs as much as I paid for my bike originally hahaha. Might see if I can put out a feeler and get some used ones.
Or just buy the spokes and rim ? Find a used hub at the boneyard and away you go.

Hmm that sounds awesome. I gotta get my G asap haha.

What do they intend it to be used for if not for work or shopping? I guess just casual transportation of things?

Would be nice as a grocery getter :D

Might try to get a minivan in that case or something. Whatever is easiest and cheapest to maintain and can be left outside year round.

Wait this is a motorcycle forum. Came for sick vintage Japanese sport bikes, leaving with a Chevy Express ?

Not sure how good the rates will be for a newly licensed G driver. And now that I think of it, they do also stipulate that you must also have another vehicle insured under standard insurance (not classic/collector). I would hope the bike will suffice, but you'll want to ask them.

Not sure how good the rates will be for a newly licensed G driver. And now that I think of it, they do also stipulate that you must also have another vehicle insured under standard insurance (not classic/collector). I would hope the bike will suffice, but you'll want to ask them.
For all the people insuring multiple vehicles (which is probably almost everyone on this board) make sure you price an umbrella liability policy. I have each vehicle insured for 1M liability and a separate 1M umbrella which adds to all motor vehicles I list (even those that are insured by other companies). It was much cheaper than going to 2M on each vehicle.

Reactions: TK4
I have each vehicle insured for 1M liability and a separate 1M umbrella which adds to all motor vehicles I list (even those that are insured by other companies)

Interesting. I asked about this before State Farm was sold, and they said emphatically that my PLUP only applies to the vehicles insured but then. I’ll ask again now that we’re with Desjardins.

Interesting. I asked about this before State Farm was sold, and they said emphatically that my PLUP only applies to the vehicles insured but then. I’ll ask again now that we’re with Desjardins.
My umbrella is TDMM. I specifically asked them about vehicles insured with other companies and they said they were covered but I had to provide TDMM with the VIN's of all vehicles that I insure for them to be covered. Price supposedly isn't affected by number or type of vehicles on that list.

Got it. So, in sum, totally a bad idea in my circumstances. Thanks :ROFLMAO:
I didn't get that read at all. Your cash. Your life. Beware that this site is not very fond of older bikes. Not sure why.
Find a decent one and buy a manual. I've had 4 valve engines apart but never a 5 valve. Maybe reread the instructions and then take your time.
That said I've owned lots of inline fours but few gave me the joy that I'm still getting from my KLR.

I didn't get that read at all. Your cash. Your life. Beware that this site is not very fond of older bikes. Not sure why.
Find a decent one and buy a manual. I've had 4 valve engines apart but never a 5 valve. Maybe reread the instructions and then take your time.
That said I've owned lots of inline fours but few gave me the joy that I'm still getting from my KLR.

Keeping the KLR 100%. Love it to bits!

****!!!!!! Found a mint looking FZR400 in London.... 5 grand... 41k km though. It's in such a classic color too... oh no...

My heart and soul is screaming at me to do it. why!!!

Edit: This just seems like a moronic idea to me because I don't even have a garage where I live and keeping this in a shed seems like a horrendous concept. Also i4 carbureted bikes scare the hell out of me if I have to clean them in the spring or something...

What's this awful hiway performance you speak of? Sure the KLR is no racer but 130kph all day long is no problem.

Back
Top Bottom