1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R | GTAMotorcycle.com

1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R

Mercaholic

Does anyone have one or know of any owners of this model?

I may be embarking on a resto and it's always better to find someone with some history on them.

I would get ahold of Steve Darlington on the VRRA site.
He always has at least one Z1R and he has tons of air cooled Kawi parts.

Z1R has always been a favorite of mine.
What colour? Blue or Black?

I have cams, piston and block... and maybe a porkchop crank if you are looking for go fast parts.

Check out http://kzrider.com/
1000s of KZ owners there.
I own a '78 Z1R front wheel, 18".
It's on my '78 kz650.

I had a couple of buddies that had Z1R's in the late 70's and early 80's and the one thing I remember about them was that the frames were a little flimsy, especially around the steering head. I remember meeting a guy that had a welder beef up around the steering head under the gas tank .You couldn't even see it but the owner said it totally transformed the bike.I know another guy that bought a KZ1000 in 1978 just before the Z1R Turbo came out and he lusted after it.He got Barr Hodgeson, who use to own a Kawasaki dealership atthe time, to order him the exact same turbo set up for his bike. To make a long story short, this guy use to go into the shop to see if his turbo was in every week and it never was.This was before the internet and nothing happened fast back then. So one day Barr is feeling sorry for this kid and offers to take him for a ride on his Z1R-TC.The guy told me when he got off the back of that bike he was so scared he wanted to cancel the order for the turbo but didn't have the nerve after hounding Barr for so long.He finally got it and never installed it. The last time I saw him five years ago, he still had that turbo sitting in it's original packaging in his basement. I use to laugh my *** off everytime he told the story about that turbo.

Good luck with your restoration. My dad restored a KZ1000 LTD recently and is almost finished doing a '74 Z1. He might be able to answer some questions as he's pretty familiar with the KZ's.

I also know a guy who built a custom 1978 Z1R that was in Cycle Canada last fall. I've been out riding with him a few times and I absolutely love that bike.

http://www2.cyclecanadaweb.com/articles/10316/

Last edited:
I had a couple of buddies that had Z1R's in the late 70's and early 80's and the one thing I remember about them was that the frames were a little flimsy, especially around the steering head. I remember meeting a guy that had a welder beef up around the steering head under the gas tank .You couldn't even see it but the owner said it totally transformed the bike.I know another guy that bought a KZ1000 in 1978 just before the Z1R Turbo came out and he lusted after it.He got Barr Hodgeson, who use to own a Kawasaki dealership atthe time, to order him the exact same turbo set up for his bike. To make a long story short, this guy use to go into the shop to see if his turbo was in every week and it never was.This was before the internet and nothing happened fast back then. So one day Barr is feeling sorry for this kid and offers to take him for a ride on his Z1R-TC.The guy told me when he got off the back of that bike he was so scared he wanted to cancel the order for the turbo but didn't have the nerve after hounding Barr for so long.He finally got it and never installed it. The last time I saw him five years ago, he still had that turbo sitting in it's original packaging in his basement. I use to laugh my *** off everytime he told the story about that turbo.

PLEASE HELP dose this still exist? i have 78 z1r tc iv owned since 82 some one stold my motor turbo extended swingarm n costom rim would like to restore her my fav bike jeff

Good luck with your restoration. My dad restored a KZ1000 LTD recently and is almost finished doing a '74 Z1. He might be able to answer some questions as he's pretty familiar with the KZ's.

I also know a guy who built a custom 1978 Z1R that was in Cycle Canada last fall. I've been out riding with him a few times and I absolutely love that bike.

http://www2.cyclecanadaweb.com/articles/10316/

I remember that article. I know the guy he bought it off of. LOVE what he did to it.

Back
Top Bottom