1976 Yamaha DT400 Build | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1976 Yamaha DT400 Build

Sorry for the late reply - this one slipped past me. On ADVRider, someone responed with this post,

I brought the crank to Bondi Engines outside of Barrie and they sorted it out for me. I don't remember the price exactly, I think it was somewhere in the $100 dollar range. I had to provide my own con rod and bearings, which I purchased from Yambits here.

If you need a hand, or have any other questions, ask away! I'm sure I've already had the same problems
Thanks...
Chris at Bondi has my crank and I've ordered my crank kit from yamabits. I'll be digging in to the rebuild in the next week or 2. I've got to track down all the bearings now....Any thoughts? Also, there's cold beer in it for you if you want to make the drive to Barrie to help out. I'm sure you learned a thing or three doing yours.

Thanks...
Chris at Bondi has my crank and I've ordered my crank kit from yamabits. I'll be digging in to the rebuild in the next week or 2. I've got to track down all the bearings now....Any thoughts? Also, there's cold beer in it for you if you want to make the drive to Barrie to help out. I'm sure you learned a thing or three doing yours.

I like Bearings Canada Bearings Canada, The Ball Bearing Canadian Online Store I believe the crank bearings are 6306-C3. The transmission bearings can be pricey (and unique to Yamaha I think), luckily I didn't have to replace mine, hopefully your engine is the same. You shouldn't have to replace the clutch needle bearing.

Below is a list I had going when I was ordering parts, the part numbers are Yamaha's. You should double check these part numbers before you buy.
Capture.PNG

Here are the wheel bearings, in case you need this info as well
1566424006677.png

I might be able to lend a hand depending on the day. And I can always offer moral support through the tough times

Alright... I've got my crank back from Chris at Bondi (he was awesome to deal with). I've installed my transmission (that sucked). I'm in the process of installing the crank bearings and crank. Do I need to use a crank installation tool to pull the crank into the bearings? I dont want to hammer at it an mess up my crank balance and alignment. Heat the bearing and freeze the crank? Install the crank to the left case or right first? My manual is useless at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

I installed the crank before the transmission (not what you want to hear, I know)

This is what I did:
- Froze the bearings and crank
- Heated up the right side crankcase with a torch (don't go too hot), you could use an oven too. I then dropped in one of the frozen bearings. When that settled, I then heated that bearing up, and dropped in the frozen crank. I didn't have to use a crank puller. Don't forget the crank shim (Check this post, it should go on the right hand side I believe)
- Then I installed my trans, I purposely left the left crank bearing out so I could easily dry fit the crankcase halves together to test the trans
- When I was happy with the trans (make sure you can get all of the gears), and made sure I wasn't forgetting anything (Kickstarter spring? Locator dowels? thrust washers? all good?) then I heated up the left side case with a torch, dropped in the frozen bearing, applied threebond 1211 to the right side crank case mating surface, heated the left side crank bearing up, and then mated the cases. No puller, again

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Back
Top Bottom