125cc off-road insurance solution? | GTAMotorcycle.com

125cc off-road insurance solution?

Msowsun

I currently have three off-road motorcycles insured with Desjardin. One WR250F, one CRF150, and one CRF100. Desjardin has grandfathered me because I’ve been a customer for a long time.

My wife’s sister now has the dirt bike bug and wants to buy a TTR125 but can’t find anyone willing to insure the bike because it is 150cc or less.

I am considering having my sister-in-law buy the TTR125, but then I would register, plate, and insure the bike in my name. She would keep it at her cottage near Bancroft where she lives and she would be the primary driver. She would mainly ride with us on the Crown Land trails around her cottage and around Bancroft. She would also occasionally transport it to Ganaraska.

I mentioned this to my Desjardin agent and they didn’t seem to have any trouble with it….

Can anyone see any major problems doing this?

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
As long as you tell insurance where it is living and who is riding it, I don't see legal issues (they may not appreciate the primary rider living at a different address and having a different name than the owner though). If she ever has a claim (reasonably unlikely on a dirtbike imo) you get kicked in the nuts.

blackcamaro

Will Desjardins actually right a new policy on 150cc or less though? I'm under the impression your grandfathered policy/bikes are good to go but replacements or additions aren't accepted.

Let us know how you make out.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
Anybody know why there is a hate for <150cc? If the policies were too cheap to bother writing, that is easy enough to solve with a minimum premium (eg everything <150 cc is $250. It doesn't matter if it is 125 or 50 cc).

blackcamaro

Anybody know why there is a hate for <150cc? If the policies were too cheap to bother writing, that is easy enough to solve with a minimum premium (eg everything <150 cc is $250. It doesn't matter if it is 125 or 50 cc).
I don't think it is so much a money thing more that the insurance companies don't want to insure bikes that are going to mainly be ridden by kids.

Msowsun

I don't think it is so much a money thing more that the insurance companies don't want to insure bikes that are going to mainly be ridden by kids.
Many adults ride 125cc bikes. You should also remember that this “ban” applies to 150cc bikes as well, and ONLY in Ontario.

Why discriminate against kids? Are they more likely to cause a claim? If that were true they could simply increase the premiums. That is how the insurance industry normally works. To outright deny coverage seems totally illogical, and I have yet to hear a rational explanation as to why this has happened in Ontario.

Last edited:

Msowsun

Will Desjardins actually right a new policy on 150cc or less though? I'm under the impression your grandfathered policy/bikes are good to go but replacements or additions aren't accepted.

Let us know how you make out.

Yes, the “ban” applies to all off-road bikes 150cc and less. That includes150cc bikes.

Yes, I added the CRF150F to my policy 3 months ago. Desjardin originally told me they no longer insure that bike Because it is not over 150cc. But they checked with their underwriter department and said they would cover me because I had a previous policy in place for my WR250F and CRF100F.

Last edited:

KWDRZ

This is a real thing my friend found out the hard way. Bought a fairly new 125 for his kid thinking no issue.... nope, can't insure it.

Top Bottom