Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 49 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Damn - 30c at 10 am today. :oops: Glad we are heading into cooler weather on the south coast. Low 20s and low teens
Not a mask in sight at the airport cept for me :rolleyes:
someone left a size large carry on abandoned at security check in ....I exited the area right quick. :unsure:
Meet up with partner who is flying princess class to Sydney the a 2 hour flight to Adelaide - we get in latish and then pick up the car at 8 am to drive to the ferry to K Island.
$400 for ferry two people and the car return ....that hurt.
Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at Sep, 18    2022    12.46.04 PM.jpg
Felt like a very long day ...into hotel in Adelaide at 11 pm but then did not get on a flight until just before 2 pm to Sydney the on to Adelaide late the whole way. ...big headwinds apparently. Tomorrow to Kangaroo Island at a leisurely pace....

Last edited:
Best laid plans.
First day on KI went well as we accidentally got on the earlier ferry as someone cancelled and that let us hit the Raptor Domain
by 5 minutes to spare and it was excellent.
51863849_2056629697769386_2830345540682645504_o-1000x486.jpg

The weather was gorgeous and I got lots of photos from both camera's ....
however :cry: I forgot to bring a card reader and the camera to USB-cable has gone astray.
I'll try and get a cable today. Lumix uses a less common USB cable ....have lots of the standard one.
The Gx7 camera has wifi but was too tired to figure out how to network to the laptop last night - easier to chase aw card reader today.
If it rains I'll slog through the wifi set up.

Doing the Penguin Tour tomorrow night as forecast is better.
Guy on the boat coming over said today was supposed to be nice but the BOM disagrees. Will know soon enough,
penguin_tour_penneshaw_travel_little_travel_kangaroo_island.png

No heat in the place we are staying but bathroom has an excellent radiant heat set up and the Itchy Boots socks and hoodie worked just fine for 16 degrees. Glad to be south as 32 in Cairns yesterday.

Sorted the card access issue - bit of a kludge,.. local guy had a used reader AND a used multi-plug USB-A for the magnificent sum of $5 cash
Now have to go back to him as need USB-c to USB-A adapter which he also has.
Works from home ....just as we did. √

Well no....kludge not working ...have to attempt wifi to the Mac ....sigh.

Weather got rainy but we groceried up for more than just the two days here and then off to
Fresh Oysters | The Oyster Farm Shop | American River for yummy lunch.

Then do the penguins later and maybe the Bella Cafe which looks good.

The lack of heat so far is not an issue even for thin blood partner but she still has her puffy jacket on inside.
So our last night on Kangaroo Island and partner finally figures out there is heat ... :sneaky:
Off to penguin viewing

Last edited:
Couple of good Itchy Boots vids to end the evening
when she hits the cold stretch along the water bought instant memories of our ride along the same stretch.
We'd gotten wet on the ride down the Cassiar and kid dd not have waterproof pants or gloves along :rolleyes:
There is simply no place to stop to get warm along that stretch ...there are look outs etc but zero places that are warm and he was pretty deep into hypo thermia by the time we hit a little convenience store...shivering and shaking ...his hands were white.
Hot dog and hot choco and hanging around the heater got him warm enough to get to our Air BnB ....the poor owner had two sets of soggy riders arrive within minutes.
Kid disappeared for an hour into the soaker tub.
Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at Sep, 23    2022    10.32.50 PM.jpg
We got dried out and next day was the Inside Passage ferry to Vancouver Island which took many hours and we had a chance to get all dried out for the next leg. One of the high lights was the road to Port Albernie which had lovely twists and sweepers but too much traffic.Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at Sep, 23    2022    10.39.02 PM.jpg
I was passing on blind corners giving drivers fits but kid and I were on comms so his hopped up F8Z could pass easily when safe then he'd let me know when I could goose the mule ( one very heavily laden 650 Strom ) around the cars blindly...many chuckles over the comms.
Good memories.

Likely off line for 5 days vegging at Perlubie unless we hit town for a milk run.
No phone service or internet but a modicum of luxury.
Today so far was spent at Port Lincoln shopping for the period.

Realized I could transfer phone photos to the computer but now of course we will be offline for 4 days :rolleyes:
Just finishing our shopping at Streaky Bay then out to Perlubie.
Will come in Monday and maybe have figured out how to transfer from the camera.

Hmmm people actuall walking by in swim gear. Did not think the water that warm as across the horizon is Antarctica tho today is a stunning day...and we had one of the best meals evah earlier.
1664000764114.png

What a lovely day
1664023208304.png

And a clear sky tonight had the Magellanic Clouds show up clearly once eyes adjusted.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at Sep, 25    2022    11.22.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at Sep, 25 2022 11.22.02 AM.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
It has gone from idyllic last evening
View attachment 57657
to sturm und drang for the morning ....a different sort of pleasure. This too shall pass... time to figure out the espresso machine. :coffee: Reusable pods which we think we might explore.

Host left us 4 days worth of lovely thick streaky bacon which partner does not eat .(y)
I'll do up her eggs first then bacon n eggs over easy for me. :D
Enough for a couple of bacon sandwichs and another breakfast or two. :oops: They also left a lovely crusty loaf which is about half gone now...

Our intrepid beach campers are still there. Must have been a loud night. Blue skies on the horizon now. 17 degrees.

Likely don't need to go anywhere given our now abundant supply of food and the internet from the phones has been excellent...have both of the major providers on tap. So far trip has been excellent with the two exceptions of not locating the heater controls for the first night and vain attempt to photography penguins at night. :(

Have seen a few riders on touring rigs. The area to the west of us is the NullArbor Plain which is as implied ....a place with no trees.
1664071565669.png

Last edited:
Last day at Perlubie Sea and it's a stunner.
1664331382911.png

tide was way out when we walked the beach at 8 am.
1664331593276.pngSupposed to go down to 7 tonight and clear skies so should be fantastic skyscape.
16 on the deck now so a tad chilly in the shade but sea air is wonderful for my allergies.

The ground is a carpet of wildflowers
1664332530368.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at Sep, 28    2022    12.03.33 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2022-09-28 at Sep, 28    2022    12.03.21 PM.jpg

Good trip but will be glad to get home and back on the CB300....I find even a 2 week layoff gets me rusty.
Also to the warmth in Cairns tho 31 getting up there....will be nice in the mornings.

Last edited:
Heading back toward Adelaide tomorrow then home.
Watching the latest Itchy Boots.
Did not know there was active volcanoes in BC and deaths in historic times.
Damn she was motoring on that wet dirt road 100kph + with full luggage on a 300 !!

Will be fun to see here in Steward BC ...fond memories of riding in and a great meal at the King Edward Hotel....
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at Sep, 29    2022    9.11.20 PM.jpg
then over to Hyder and back the next day with smartalek Canuckistan signs when leaving :sneaky:

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at Sep, 29    2022    9.10.48 PM.jpg
The only place you can legally cross into the US without going through border security as it's a complete dead end. Sneaky way to say you've ridden to Alaska.;)

Been a while and the CB300 was not happy being neglected for nearly a month. Took its sweet time to start. Tank was down a bit so might have been some condensation. Fine once it got going no further hiccups
Finally got to a destination eatery in Kuranda.
Burger analogue in a crispy rice with a seaweed wrapped. Very tasty..
1665194043504.png

Hot days for my 75th bday.
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at Oct, 9    2022    9.28.12 AM.jpg
Need to get out earlier now. Made some med changes and hope that cuts in for energy levels. Had problems with statins and muscle weakness before and looks like a repeat.
Not riding for a few weeks not helping either. Will welcome a break from the hotter weather here with a month in Canada. Trying to con my dottor out of her eBike for the period. Son has a job finally after a struggle with his health and he's riding with full mcycle gear on the eScoot. Be nice if he can get healthy enough to feel good about mcycle next spring.
Off to Barrine....it's cooler on the Tablelands tho not by much today.

Last edited:
Hot days for my 75th bday.
View attachment 57955
Need to get out earlier now. Made some med changes and hope that cuts in for energy levels. Had problems with statins and muscle weakness before and looks like a repeat.
Not riding for a few weeks not helping either. Will welcome a break from the hotter weather here with a month in Canada. Trying to con my dottor out of her eBike for the period. Son has a job finally after a struggle with his health and he's riding with full mcycle gear on the eScoot. Be nice if he can get healthy enough to feel good about mcycle next spring.
Off to Barrine....it's cooler on the Tablelands tho not by much today.

Happy Birthday!!

Thanks ....glad to be still riding...I'll get feted a bit by friends here and then the kids when I get back to Canada.
Now aiming to make it to 80 on the mcycle.

Good ride today after a month long layoff. Bike did not start immediately but farted and coughed a bit and caught, likely condensation. 177 km loop with some fun up the Gillies. Changed up my meds a bit and that helped for not being sore when I got home. Resigned to it getting hotter now - low 30s when I got home.
Very busy with tourists at the teahouse but scored my fav table over the lake. Always easy to find a parking spot for the mcycle.

7338Lake-Barrine-16-12-scaled.jpg

Devonshire Tea that used to be $8 now has crept up steadily over the years to $11.50 and the tea pots gotten smaller.
They have an excellent carnivore sandwich on flatbread for $15 but then add tea and I'm at $20. Was not hungry enough for that and the scones, cream and local jam was just right.

Mcycle needs some small maintenance tomorrow. Top the tires off and finally lube the chain ( bought a no maintenance chain....it's close but not 100% no maintenance.
Can likely nurse tires another 8-10k km. CB300 burns not a drop of oil. Might be okay right through to April but that might be a stretch.

Yikes 800+ km on Itchy Boots and 120 on gravel...Noraly discovers the size in the north. She looked pretty fresh for that distance ...mind you 18+ hours of light helps.
and heading off to Skagway ...brings up some memories when partner and I first met.
Feeling pretty pumped about riding - change in meds ....statins are insidious. Nice weather helps too.

ugh 31 and muggy at noon in Cairns and only 27 on the tablelands. That was one reason Atherton was under consideration for a move but looks like granny flat and travel is now moved up the agenda.

Bad day to do mcycle maintenance but got it done...figured out how to get the bike on and off the rear paddock stand by myself - will be easier next time as it is quite controllable. Chain lubed and much needed tire top up - I'll do one more tire pump up before I leave in November. Too hot for ride but maybe tomorrow early to Daintree Village ...see how the topped up tires feel.
Ran over a small pile of safety glass when I was filtering but did not seem to do any harm.

Lovely ride up the Cook Highway to Daintree Village. Bike felt good with lubed chain and topped up tires.
A bit stiff and sore from not riding but wore off soon enough. Big tail wind was nice but will pay for that on the way home. Decent audio book to listen to. Hitting 33 later so will turn around soon enough.

75 yrs old today in Canada time ...tomorrow here. Going for a few bday meals with friends over the rest of the week :D

33 degree days ongoing for a while. 🌴
Curtails riding a bit to the early morning. eBike is in for service and a new tire, battery check and a new basket plus the seat suspension adjusted to my weight.
Discovered nothing to be done about the mild corrosion on the front forks... :cautious:

Last edited:
Good look at the Northern Territory and Northern Queensland ( FNQ ) Australia where I am and some problem crocs. Surprising what lurks in a small billabong
Partner used to muster beef via helicopter in the area
Crocs have recovered from a low of 3,000 prior to the hunting ban - now 150,000 and climbing.
It's in 4k too - excellent production values.
🍿

partner thinks she flew cattle muster at that station

Last edited:
Off to get doc approval for drivers licence....I'm 75 today. Easy in Queensland ...doctor makes the call ( he will ) and then I have to carry a certificate at all times.

Ontario makes it at 80 and I doubt very much I'll participate 🤪 I'll stick with the Aussie one.
Dad drove legally until 95 ....keeping finger crossed to at least make 80 on the mcycle.

Will get the eBike back this week ....looks like my long waited for carry case for the back rack is MIA :(
Had the dealer install a generic basket. Might be easier. Too much $ for it but figured getting installed correctly worthwhile
Still chasing a pump.
Weave-Plastic-Rear-Basket-270x190.jpg

Back
Top Bottom