Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 39 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Finally, good weather, decent sleep, a day off work combine
Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at Feb, 13    2022    6.32.27 AM.jpg

Relaxing ride up the James Cook ...better phone reception at the end of civilization at Cape Tribulation than home in Cairns.
Cape Tribulation was named by British navigator Lieutenant James Cook on 10 June 1770 (log date) after his ship scraped a reef north east of the cape, whilst passing over it, at 6pm. Cook steered away from the coast into deeper water but at 10.30pm the ship ran aground, on what is now named Endeavour Reef.
very good latte and breakfast wrap
Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at Feb, 13    2022    9.41.21 AM.jpg
280 km out and back - relaxing ride

Last edited:
Lovely day today, no rain forecast and reasonable wind and temps. Might go to Etty Bay and check on the cassowaries. Tired brain from work and that will be a very relaxing ride with no twists.
Shopping run first. Watching the half pipers fall a lot.

work work work and now too hot.

Heat getting to me today ...32 at 9 am ...partner came in soaked with sweat at 8.30 am from a short dog walk and the dog almost tripped over her tongue.
Going to 36 real and humid...why no one comes here in Feb/March ...wet tropics.

34 feels like 38 at noon and still climbing ...ac room coming up. 🥵

Got to 37 actual yesterday ...ac all afternoon and evening.
Wind from the interior again ....29 at 6 am. Humidity is "okay" but doubtful for for riding.

need a deep cool cave for tomorrow ...feels 56 ffs. BTW it is already Monday here
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at Feb, 28    2022    2.39.02 AM.jpg
it is trying to rain ...nice breath of a Tstorm ...very welcome.

Never got to the top temps....slept the afternoon heat away - got a quick ride out for groceries earlier ....work tonight and it's banging about with Tstorms which is really refreshing.- hopefully a ride up the Gillies in the morning.

Last edited:
Sun's out ...26 but going to 37 and not sure I can get out early Picture 122.jpg
34 feels like 42 at noon...would not mind heading up the range road to Kuranda for a German feed.

Croc sausage and saurkraut appeals but just too hot.

This is my fav lunch there - I'll switch up between the tasty Bratwurst shown and somewhat more bland emu or croc sausages. Good potato salnd, fried saurkraut, rye bread and some salad. He gives me local price of $10 and I'm full ....usually bring the rye bread home. And don't need to ask for mustard as it is on all tables ....mustard is not popular in Aus.
Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at Mar, 2    2022    12.10.48 PM.jpg
I usually eat outside on the picnic table overlooking the street....but the back flows into the tourist trap market.
He sometimes has a toothsome European backpacker working the grill out by the sidewalk.
Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at Mar, 2    2022    12.15.56 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Yes - typical german potato salad with a little lettuce and tomato on the side.

Fortunately we are 1500 km north or more of that flooding which is flat out epic. Some posters on another forum were in the middle of it.
a25cec36307175b905ec279e26d6d5ee.jpg
Cairns can handle heavy rains tho it will flood ...it's not like that.

This is just up the road
The range blocks the flooding inland as far as 150 km inland and a few other lakes and reservoirs soak it up. There can be some local creeks that over flow below the range and a number of other rivers have flood plain cut aways where no one lives but there are recreational facilities than can stand occasional flooding.

This my old KLR parked in the Barron river bed at low water.
1646438394142.png

Last edited:
good ride to Millaa Millaa …stunning day. Lots of bikes out. No masks, no vax passports.
Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at Mar, 6    2022    9.17.30 AM.jpg
Easy ride up the Gillies but noticed green moss is back in between lanes.....naaasssssty.
Intended a long ride but just too hot and the Gillies is shaded.
Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at Mar, 6    2022    9.48.32 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at Mar, 6    2022    9.50.51 AM.jpg
Ended up taking the longer way home via Kuranda and may have paid for it with a touch of heat exhaustion today, tho heat was no where near as bad as the previous days. Did not hydrate well either. :rolleyes:
However really enjoyed getting out. Turned out to be 236 km and the temp only got bad when I came down the range. Had an engaging audiobook on the go and helmet settling in ....cheek plates not so tight and room enough now for the thin Oxford balaclava for keeping the earphones in snug.
Could feel I was tired pulling into the gate ...low tolerance level when the remote opener decided to rebel.
Three weeks!!! without a long ride and could have gotten out earlier which would have helped.
Glad I did get home decently early as last thing I would want is a cloud burst coming down the range. It's getting slammed just now. Showers I don't mind, a Tstorm I do.
Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at Mar, 6    2022    3.37.34 PM.jpg

Last edited:
FFS 31 feels like 38 at 10 am. Was hoping for a short ride but after yesterdays little brush with heat exhaustion guess I'll watch movies. :rolleyes:

Half hearted Tstorm but not doing much cooling at 6 pm Feels less thick.
Same old pattern tomorrow. 36 in the afternoon feels like 43.

Last edited:
Events conspire ...zero wind, cooler temps and slow on line ....and getting out reasonably early for a run up the Kuranda Range - maybe further ...plus a big sleep too.'

So nice - 29 at 10 am at one of my fav places Skybury,

I love papaya and sometimes get their bowl of papaya and bananas all grown on the plantation with vanilla ice cream ....delic - not on the menu but she is checking if they will make it. No ripe bananas but at my suggestion they are bringing it back to the menu imgres.png It's one of my fav spots in Australia. lovely views and seating.
4G connection on the phone too....better than home.
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at Mar, 11    2022    10.06.21 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at Mar, 11    2022    10.06.36 AM.jpg
messed up the pretty design on the latte
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at Mar, 11    2022    10.05.57 AM.jpg
Sitting right where I am ..
1646958451457.png
one of my top bird shots came when I was having lunch a couple years back
Babblers are very difficult to photograph as they are so flighty ….but this pair of males decided to woo a female 4meters from my table. Picked up the camera and got a really superb shot.

Last edited:
Snuck out in a break in the rain for groceries and literally pulled in the gate when it started again. Very few people with masks despite some with obvious health issues.
The guy I gave my cart to had a COPD rig and no mask.
My mask was on. This is not over. :(

Days and days of rain and cool weather coming up. Love it :love: so nice to sleep and work without the heat.
Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at Mar, 13    2022    10.05.17 PM.jpg

Very glad I got that Skybury ride in. Be a bit before I can hit Kuranda for a German food feed.
Been plotting a variety of 200km loops - quite a few interesting rides....even Millaa Millaa is 200 out and back IF I do the Gillies both ways...:unsure:
About $12 in fuel and still climbing. 4-5 hours riding and brunching makes a nice break in the week.

Last edited:
In the be careful what you wish for ...woke up from a nap in the cozy room and damn it's chilly on the deck ... 23 feels like 1 might sound just right but in light cotton with fans on .....and no hot water to warm up under.
Turned the hot water booster on for partner when she gets home and buttoned up the shutters, knocked the fans down and just okay
Itchy Boots Hoodie Black - Itchy Boots

Trotted out my Itchy Boots hoodie and a poly long sleeve so okay as zero wind but we are up to likely another 2" of rain by end of day. Very glad I snuck out yesterday.
Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at Mar, 15    2022    4.49.42 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at Mar, 15    2022    5.03.16 PM.jpg
Not all that happy needing to ride to the dentist tomorrow as can't take codeine in the morning but so far prediction is for rain to end and back to a humid 30c by dentist time at 10.45.
Minute that sun comes out humidity gets stupid.
Now to find some baby food to eat for supper. Wish I knew what was wrong. :unsure:

Rain has gone here so has heat for the moment so will be okay riding to dentist and maybe a short loop up the James Cook Highway along the Pacific.
Always a sweet ride.
Lot greener now

Mess your mind being opposite side traffic

this is kinda nice too for a green fix for your snow day

$2000 round trip to get here....not via the US ...Dreamliner too.

Last edited:
Should have taken a picture ...apparently our tiny ants like ear wax ...ate the tips of my earplugs lying around and more costly, the tips of my Shure 215s which had been holding up very well tho I was thinking of getting the larger size.
Noticed the ants were carrying what looked like pupae so did a complete clean of the desk and found they had set up house under my monitor stand. Little buggers.
They will build anywhere - their suburbs
Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at Mar, 17    2022    3.58.41 AM.jpg
even 3m highrises
Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at Mar, 17    2022    4.00.11 AM.jpg

Damn need to ride more ...gorgeous day but I'll only get 120 km in.
Nice latte and fresh croissant tho.

New head gear really nice.
1647997543302.png 1647997574845.png

Got tired of my ragged thin Oxford balaclava to keep IEMS in place and this works the charm

CHCYCLE Motorcycle Helmet Liner Quick Drying Moisture Wicking Under Helmets
Feels very nice ...my helmet is still breaking in and can barely feel this
Lot cheaper for you guys ....I paid $29 aus ....

Back
Top Bottom