Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 35 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at Dec, 20    2021    8.50.41 AM.jpgGot out early ...nice ride down to Etty Bay. Quiet with few people and think there is a quick swim inside the stinger net.
I'll have my brekkie on the beach before a quick swim inside the stinger net. ( that white floating structure ) It's 29 at 9 am and very quiet. Pork and gravy sandwich and chai sun tea makes for a tasty brekkie.
We'll see if a cassowary wanders by.
This one always makes me laugh..
p1240493-jpg.94412

Water temps will be 28 :D

Well one did wander by that day
1641164512422.png
burning my feet on pavement at 10 am and a wonderful kookaburra in the trees behind the change area made for a complete Australian day. At least the speed bumps were painted white to get back. Of course the Australians back home were amused by my pavement hopping...tropical sun is wicked.

Last edited:
Fortunately not around here especially inside the stinger net ....that said ...yeah the stingers can kill you. I missed a very cute shot of the cassowary poking around the bike while I was coming up from the swim...... 3 cameras and they are in the bike .....sigh. I did get a photo of him. One of the youngsters from last year.
For that matter tho a cassowary can kill a person...one breeder died in Florida from an attack. They are unafraid and have big weapons.

The big crocs fade out a bit further south from here and then of course you do have sharks. :sneaky:

The goannas are not dangerous tho I'd not grab one with those claws. Haven't seen the big local guy around lately. Hope no one et him.
1639959671007.png
For the longest time there was no internet or phone service at Etty Bay but there is now freewifi so I can endure the hardship of working on the beach. :coffee:

This should cover it

Last edited:
Until he plans over to the dangerous maneating crocs sign. Kind of puts a damper on many of Australia's beautiful beaches.
I dunno still seems much better then anything we have in Ontario.

View attachment 52587You got that right ...just the Gillies Range Road alone, 365 days a year of 19 KM of perfect pavement with 260 curves. Ontario ....nah
View attachment 52586

The one thing I miss (other then the amazing undulations and almost perfect ashphalt) is accurate "suggested" speed signs. If you see a 50 or 40 corner you pretty much know what your getting into and what speeds you can actually do, even on roads your not 100% familiar with.

At least we don't have ridiculous "safe to pass". "Do not pass" clutter" as in Pensylvania tho Aus has a lot of signage, much to do with keeping opposite side of the road tourists from creating havoc ( I've had my moments ).

Speed is sometimes shown for corners but also striped guardrail with no signage.
I had not realized how strick the painted and catseye guidance on the roads were enforced until partner said I could get ticketed crossing them outside of the guidance lanes for turns and entrances on to the highway from a servo for instance.
It can get blinding and confusing at night with all the catseye sections.

Since filtering is legal in Queensland it's less of an issue for a rider.

Fried from work during the night and too little sleep but really want a Millaa Millaa ride before the covid threat spreads here. Snoozing in my long sleeved Grinch hoodie that keeps the mozzies off....and warm when it gets a little cooler under tha fan in the wee hours.
grinch.jpg
Got off late but still up at Millaa Millaa at 11.
Vax certificates required to eat anywhere now...fortunately I had mine on the phone. Absolutely stunning day. 30 at 11 am but low humidity and a breeze in the shade. Easy going low traffic ride up the Gillies.
Missed a date with my fav steak pie as the teahouse was closed but they are open tomorrow. Need an excuse to ride. :D Going the long way back as I enjoy it so much and wind is favourable. Home at 2.:sleep:

Last edited:
nice view for dining out.

1640229820902.png
1640229773647.png
Finally after trying yesterday to find the teahouse closed I reserved rump steak pie ( lucky I did they ran out ) and because the family are anti-vaxxers they can only do take out. but they live on the tour bus traffics so can serve take out in the backyard.
Got here late and am starving but worth the effort ...another nice run up the Gillies ,.much cooler up here and will have an enjoyable run down the Palmerston ..then a hot time getting home.
140 km with the last 60 in the 33 heat and mostly sun

Some cute girls on the bus in showing lots of skin ....don't dare get the camera out tho.

Expensive pie chasing but was it yummie. 500 km over two days and the better part of two tanks of gas but really nice rides and lots of audio book.
Scratched that itch.

Hips are sore after repeat longish days ....how the hell did I do that cross Canada on the CB500x in 2019 :oops::unsure:
Should not have done back to back on the loop ... the Gillies is tiring, I was short of sleep too. My laptop had a near death experience....as I was leaving the city a ute driver motioned that my top case was open,
Pulled over and there was the laptop perched on top of other stuff. :eek: Could have easily fallen off in any of three directions....Now the case is armored and the lappie would survive the fall but not getting run over.
I think I just did not pay enough attention to the latching...the Shad case is strong and well made and usually I just have to push the top and let it fall. I think the laptop will now migrate a bit more to the lower part of the topcase in case I do stoopid again....and I'll double check it's latched.

I have a much nearer place for good pies ( pies are everywhere....really good ones scarce tho )
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at Dec, 24    2021    7.01.34 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at Dec, 24    2021    7.02.11 AM.jpg

It's downtown but looks like decent parking and I need to be spending more time at the Lagoon now it's so hot.
cairns029.jpg

Likely no riding for a couple days ..fingers crossed on this ..

Last edited:
Hey, you got a spare bunkie or anything by chance? lol

Actually we do as both our housemates have moved on tho close by. One bought her own place the other is house sitting at a number of places and bunking with the villa buyer.
We are not looking to replace them however.

Getting here might be a problem...:eek:
There is a labour shortage in part as there is no place for workers to rent affordably.
Because the whole state only has had 7 deaths since day one, southern Australians are tempted to the area to get out of the big cities where lock downs are frequent.

If you are serious about moving here I can set you up with our immigration lawyer. Costs about $11k and there are no refunds....usually takes a couple of years and they have to want you.
I had a partner stake and it still took 3-4 years till I got my permanent visa in January.

I have a few clients whose kids have moved here.
It's way easier if you are under 35 or have a sponsor.

The downside for a distance rider like you are actually the distances. It's 1600km to ride to Brisbane from here along the main highway and you are still in the same state. Lots of lowish cost AirBnBs tho. Fuel cost is high, most all costs are high because of superannuation and high minimum wage but all prices are tax in and there is no tipping.

Doing an around Australia ride
you need to time it around the wet season in the north...in some months you simply cannot do it.

If you can swing 4-6 months you can get an excellent trip in and do the barrier reef before it is gone.
My daughter and I did this and would do again in a heartbeat. Aussie ssky 40km offshore is stunning and we happened to have a decent meteor shower ( not planned around it ...just happened to be the same date)
No sounds on the reef as the pontoon is shut down and there is just 6 of you in lux swags, sounds of wind and waves.

Not my photos...a freebie with the trip

this I had to pay for
AM-JKLVZ6I-_4sMRkDipa0v7NHKxRG6DBTcr9w9eRL-PRjC3kUslFAZSTzZByEHsXNvJa9n73Tyu9xwSNMeVLJkPdgqLHuvAetXb237KJtcHuH3J9GLu_c2QzV7fSKI4TxUtSeD8_qoikyWHdIGxNtJjylaacg=w976-h652-no

If you come bring my snorkel and mask :D

It's akin to trying to get to see most of the US tho as the sizes are similar but less than 10% of the population. Paved roads where they are are usually top notch ....interior paved still decent and then 10's thousands of outback roads where you can die if you don't take enough water. It is VERY remote.

Finally settled on a new helmet
The Shark Evoline 3 as I like how the chin bar goes right back - both ways safety approved. Lighter

HE9350EWHU-ALT1-HOST.jpg
Image 1 - Shark Evoline Series 3 Helmet White

Bought the Shark 10% off holiday sale and free shipping.

Gave the business to the EasyR who let me return the RJays.
The Shark Evoline 3 ST is a favorite among modular helmet enthusiasts because of it's unique ability to be worn with the chin bar in the open position. New for 2012, Shark has refined this feature and now the opening of the chin bar can be done with one hand, called the Auto-Up system. Another notable improvement is the reduction in weight of about 200grams in overall weight. The removable interior now features CoolMax fabric that is soft against your skin and is sweat-wicking. Staple features that continue to define the Shark Evoline are the SharkFit eyeglass system, the internal drop down sun visor and the ability to seamlessly integrate with the SharkTooth Bluetooth communication device. ECE rated with chin bar in open and closed position.

Very busy in grocery shops and markets on Santa Eve...the down under version is kicking back.
December | 2013 | Cards & Co

Masks now mandatory and contact tracing enforced as is vaccination proof if eating out.
Police enforcing eating out restriction for venues. Why I had to eat my pie on the lawn.

589 new Omicron cases detected in last 24 hours....some have filtered into Cairns area as expected.

Only a couple of casual contact in the immediate area.

We get an alert on our phones if we've been anywhere near an exposure site. Partner picked up some rapid tests for tomorrow get together with 95 yr old mum and rest of family who are all triple vaxxed cept me ....mine on Tuesday as the finally dropped 3rd dose to 3 months from 6.(y)

New destination lined up but have to figure weather as it's 329 km out and back so will be a full day.
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at Dec, 24    2021    9.23.01 PM.jpg

New weather symbol for me showed up beyond heavy rain ....flash floods....69.4 mm ... 2.7" :eek:
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at Dec, 24    2021    9.18.50 PM.jpg Looks like the 29th works if roads are open. Overcast is fine as cooler. Hit Ravenshoe Bakery for brunch and loop back across to Kuranda.
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at Dec, 24    2021    9.16.24 PM.jpg
Cyclone season lurking too in the top end around Darwin.
Always memories of 1974 on Xmas day.
Forecasting not so sophisticated and residents used to ignoring warnings...big mistake.
Cyclone_tracy_aerial_view_darwin.jpg

snip
On Christmas Eve 1974 Cyclone Tracy hit Darwin, demolishing 80 per cent of building structures and taking more than 70 lives as it tore a path through the Northern Territory's capital.

Under a kitchen table with a mattress on top, 22-year-old NT News reporter Alan Kohler was taking shelter with fellow journalists Dave Johnson and Lorna King in the bathroom of their stilt house.

"We thought we were going to die because it was without a doubt very scary," Kohler told ABC Radio Sydney's Mornings host Cassie McCullagh.

270 kph was monitored and then blew out ...who knows how high it went.

Last edited:
Finally got a traditional Xmas family meal on a hot day in the tropics.
Prawns two days off the boat, roast ham, pomegranite salad, mint peas and feta salad, mango, dragon fruit, raspberries with whipped cream and all the trifle I could eat ...plus some to take home. (y)
Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at Dec, 25    2021    5.49.01 PM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom