Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 34 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Looks good today ...light winds, little rain forecast - none in the morning. Will try for Mission Beach.
Getting out early as feels like 39 coming up in the afternoon. Sticking near the ocean will blunt that.
Wonder if they are still doing the parachuting?

incoming.jpg
like this shot - pure thrill

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at Dec, 1    2021    5.26.04 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at Dec, 1    2021    5.28.32 AM.jpg

Need to clean up that post. Bloody Photobucket.
Was taking a snooze on the beach and saw all these people looking up ...rolled over and grabbed the camera and just stayed there shooting.

Last edited:
Easy ride down to Innisfail and not far to Mission Beach.
Hungry Jacks has a cheap egg mcmuffin knock off and hash brown for $4.25. Filled me up and nice break.
Still just 8 am.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at Dec, 1    2021    8.07.46 AM.jpg

Easy ride down to Innisfail and not far to Mission Beach.
Hungry Jacks has a cheap egg mcmuffin knock off and hash brown for $4.25. Filled me up and nice break.
Still just 8 am.
View attachment 52418
Wow a item name that borders on McDonalds egg mcmuff & a logo that borders on Burger King.... Cool.... nice

Wow a item name that borders on McDonalds egg mcmuff & a logo that borders on Burger King.... Cool.... nice
It is Burger King. When they went to oz, Burger King wasnt available so they went with hungry Jack's.

And stuck with it.
Really nice along the water at Mission Beach and good wifi.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at Dec, 1    2021    9.19.22 AM.jpg
and my best chance with Black cockatoos ever ...a pair and a young one right above me
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at Dec, 1    2021    1.42.11 PM.jpg

1638348378372.png
and the parents feeding the young one. Glad I had the big lens with me just for detail
1638343038684.png

1638345244101.png
hes just 3 m away
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at Dec, 1    2021    1.43.19 PM.jpg
I can hear him cracking nuts
1638345299826.png

Mama came down too ...baby too young to extract the nuts and begs ...caught that too on the branch,
too much fun ...got both cameras going and lots of time to get good shots - even got a sound recording. They are very different from the white cockatoos. Blacks have longer narrower wings and a bigger crest.
Took these out a Yellow Water a couple years ago
1638316421548.png
serious tail lights.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at Dec, 1    2021    9.51.44 AM.jpg
WIsh I was hungry ...this place looks good
Too far away from lunch tho and want to turn back before it gets hot.
Got back at 2 pm and crashed ...was hot - it's still a 3 hour loop to Mission and tho the spot near the beach with the cockatoos was cool and nice....the ride in the sun with a feels like 39 temp was tiring. Well worth the effort and will go back down see if they are locals there.

Last edited:
Well it is infective ...and I'm going on 10 years here at least part time.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at Dec, 3    2021    2.30.28 PM.jpg

33 feels like 38 ...quick trip to grocery store early and 1/2 hour at the dog park watching the pooch play.
Lovely setting.
Lots of people and dogs enjoying the park. It meanders around for 3 KM and loads of birds making the morning melodious.
1638506012585.png
61X-RFW2VbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
several had these for long throws down the stream which is deep enough the dogs have to swim and wade.
34 feels like 40 🥵...buttoned up windows and put room ac on.

Last edited:
There have been 270 species recorded at Hasties Swamp.
Nanking night heron.
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at Dec, 5    2021    11.29.17 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-12-05 at Dec, 5    2021    11.31.05 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-12-05 at Dec, 5    2021    11.33.10 AM.jpg

Got out very early this time and was at Hasties Swamp just as the birds were waking up.
Great Egret and Black-winged Stilt
1638668595406.png
Surprising this was taken at 15m
AM-JKLVEVr9JERjItoQ9qhLYR86lFwvBObF2ytU1LMW_t2ILkz4_2Ts1sCTBY7Tb8aPgj7ANy4ZeiL2wAK6aUpp3MRgP6yBzTIcqfOh3OgC89oRU5epNvaoR_M0puwadMn6ovZacgIQ_pRhwWgmKGjmJObnTeQ=w704-h1077-no

so those long distance shots not so bad.

Can always find something to shoot...use the big lens at 2M for this little bug
AM-JKLXbp-CkOtOflzq2dBT_qXi26xVbP3Z2VxGutjdRW_XFfOljhXKKXrUAe_7u3NZmzeZlTQNrTlTLiFtRygson8jz9VdnjvqmE4PCRzTTZm-cz6dMOnDLsiN26EwQVj9tA3xdSns76slzI3AC4vJ55FNUmw=w958-h896-no

Laugh of the day this pelican appears to be trying to swallow itself.
1638686890737.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at Dec, 5    2021    11.28.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at Dec, 5 2021 11.28.07 AM.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Got out early and the new bypass around the Smithfield round about is a real treat,
Managed to get to Orgins finally when they are open. Damn they make a good coffee.

28 already at 8.30 and super muggy from the showers. Won't be a long ride today but I've been mistaken before.

I was out today and realized I was only using the lower of the two vents on my HWK Jacket so opened all four. Not as good. :unsure:

91QTpHOOGJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Actually with just the lower two open lets the airflow go down the back ....blind aquirrel n'all.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at Dec, 9    2021    4.50.08 PM.jpgWe just got a very nice salvo from this
Might not make it down the range but glad I'm not in it. Could use the rain tho.
Tomorrow is another day.

Wow clear and sunny and not too humid. Definitely a lunch run up the Gillies to Millaa Millaa.
Expected rain - pleasant surprise and I have the 9th Expanse book to enjoy. (y)

Blew it yesterday - bogged down in website repair but got a good one today - enjoyable loop up the Palmerston expecting my fav Teahouse and steak pie.....nope - closed....okay low on gas ...Millaa Millaa 2 km ...no problem....closed ...okay NOW I'm getting range anxiety as Malanda is 20 km and I'm up over 350 km on a tank.:oops:
The bike had hiccupped for reasons unknown coming up the Palmerston so I really did not know what was up tho the hiccup was not repeated :unsure: Thought maybe the steep grade had sloshed some fuel.
The bike holds 13 liters but have never run it dry so not sure how it behaves. Most fillups are 10L for 330 KM with the new chain up from 300......ride to Malanda was a bit tense but finally pulled in an 11.62 L I was back on the road...364 KM ...so now I know a bit more and can stretch that blinking light a bit more confidently. Could almost stretch to 400km on a tank and this was light headwind then climb up the Palmerston Range road so not ideal for mileage. Happy with the outcome tho was a bit of a nervous last few KM.

Getting my pie fix here Kuranda - nice setting in the shade and an excellect mango smoothie tho the pie was a bit salty......combo worked tho. I'm spoiled by the rump steak pies at The Falls Teahouse - this was steak and bacon ....was hearty but crust not as good as the teahouse tho they are handmade here. I'm stuffed for $14 which was $8.50 for the smooothie so pie is cheaper......was not the biggest smoothie for the $ but one of the best. (y)

33 feels like 38...glad I'm home at 1.30 - vegging under fans. Was tired coming down the Kuranda range but no traffic pressure and enjoying the audio book. Just had to pay attention to paying attention. :whistle:

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at Dec, 13    2021    12.21.26 PM.jpgMassive grocery shop ....at least for the bike as we are afraid of covid now the borders opened today. There was another 3L milk too.
Using the 20L tank bag for the extra milk left me lots of room.

Up at Barrine having tea and scones. Left too late ...nice and cool up here tho with abreeze off the lake and a flock of something fishing the lake plus a a couple of pelicans
Lovely breeze off the lake....feel like staying here. :rolleyes:

might get wet - not so inclined to ride the Gillies down but hellish shorter.
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at Dec, 13    2021    12.39.09 PM.jpg
Zipped up the vents and tightened the cuffs ..wasn't feeling 100% but no rain on the Gillies and was taking it easy. Got down without a break...stopped and restored the venting etc as it jumped to 30 but cloud cover made it tolerable...big slug of water and felt better by the time I got in. Need to get out earlier but tomorrow is busy day. No rain forecast ....:unsure: Trying to get as much riding in while a wary eye on Omicron.
I like our hermit city status but that may change and I've only got two shots...have 6-7 weeks before my third 🥴
Until then no more eating out if any local cases.

Last edited:
Lovely lying in bed under the fan after an eventful business night but it's 30 degrees actual at 9 am heading up. 🥵
I need a haircut and I think a sushi treat before things lock down with Omicrom. Right now there is no covid at all in the city but that for sure will change and I'll be riding with a packed lunch.

Not envying what's coming for you guys. Be safe...get that third shot.

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at Dec, 19    2021    10.17.35 AM.jpgStuffed...had a BLAT ....bacon ( lots ) lettuce, avocado and tomato. Nice run up to Daintree village. Not many using masks at the moment up here but need to for the grocery store. Riding into dark clouds and only a sprinkle - then when eating a short down pour.

View attachment 52575Stuffed...had a BLAT ....bacon ( lots ) lettuce, avocado and tomato. Nice run up to Daintree village. Not many using masks at the moment up here but need to for the grocery store. Riding into dark clouds and only a sprinkle - then when eating a short down pour.
Nice pix looks better then over here, snowing all day. Street called public toilets?

View attachment 52575Stuffed...had a BLAT ....bacon ( lots ) lettuce, avocado and tomato. Nice run up to Daintree village. Not many using masks at the moment up here but need to for the grocery store. Riding into dark clouds and only a sprinkle - then when eating a short down pour.

When I was younger we used to call a spin through the hills a Blat. "Want to go for a blat through advancetown? " Brake Late And Turn.

Back
Top Bottom