10 collectible motorcycles to watch | GTAMotorcycle.com

10 collectible motorcycles to watch

A little optimistic, and a little late.

--The people who were once interested in the 350s will all be dead in a few years (they're in their 70s right now). Those bikes were cheap. Really cheap, hence their popularity. I doubt their value will go up much more. Most will end up in low-level museums.

--The CB750 was a landmark in motorcycle engineering. A genuine collector. Its value will definitely go up.

--The Vincent is already crazy expensive, the domain of the wealthy, and belongs in a high-end museum. No surprise there.

--The BMW not likely to go too high in value, but definitely a museum piece. Same with the Indian and Harley.

Valuable and motorcycles doesn't really happen in anything but the absolute cream of the crop, like Brough Superior, Vincent and a handful of others. Only a few make great investments.

I believe the inline-four will become too expensive, catering to only the high-end of the market, and they may disappear altogether. The air-cooled models are good investments right now, relics from a bygone era yet still high performers.

90s sport bikes will be next / are already shooting up. Especially the golden era 250cc Japanese bikes, VFRs, tamburini ducati's, etc.

Who knew the Ducati sport 1000 would hit cult status in 15yrs, selling for more now than new. RD's are hot tickets. RZ's really hot.

The oddity bikes like 70's Morini , Laverda, early import Guzzi . When I say odd, a Morini 2 1/2 or Laverda 1000 was twice the price of a Japanese equivalent when new. But try and find one....,

Any MV Agusta if you keep it long enough.
Try buying an old one.

CB750 #28 is up for sale on Ebay right now with still almost 5 days to go. Currently at USD $38,900 and reserve not met.

2ee1348b1d9504758e4bf752894c6b62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90s sport bikes will be next / are already shooting up. Especially the golden era 250cc Japanese bikes, VFRs, tamburini ducati's, etc.

I could see myself owning a blue/white SRAD GSXR, Green ZX-7R, Red Ducati 916. I was around 12-13 years old when they were new and dream bikes of mine. I don’t really desire riding any of them but a mint one sitting in the garage would be cool to have.

A SOHC CB750K is worth $9100 USD? Ok, fine it's in "excellent" condition I guess?

But then an "excellent" Vincent Black Shadow is only worth $95K?

A '75 RD350 in mint shape goes for $10,000USD. The bike set sales records, they made a metric shitton of them.
A '75 TZ350C, the Yamaha production racer sells for $6000 USD. They were originally almost twice the price of an RD, and they only made 4000 of them.

If you took the price of a '81 TZ350G (the most desirable of the steel frame TZs) and adjusted for inflation, you get the price they sell for today

A desmo 450 Ducati demands at least 25% more than the 350, which is a FAR superior bike

Honda made about 7000 1969 "sandcast" CB750s. Now almost EVERY 1969 CB750 is sand cast (They're actually "drop cast" and if you know what to look for they are EASILY distinguishable. A REAL sand cast has 10 bolts in the clutch cover, a drop cast has 11, among other differences). A REAL "sand cast" will sell for around $150,000USD.

Makes me scratch my head.
Harley made a "Limited edition" Dyna (I think it was a Dyna anyway) and sold the bike at a premium, cuz it was "limited" production.
The production was "limited" to the number of bikes they could sell... plus a few thousand more... just in case.
Law suits EVERYWHERE.

"Honda made about 7000 1969 "sandcast" CB750s. Now almost EVERY 1969 CB750 is sand cast (They're actually "drop cast" and if you know what to look for they are EASILY distinguishable. A REAL sand cast has 10 bolts in the clutch cover, a drop cast has 11, among other differences). A REAL "sand cast" will sell for around $150,000USD. "
They were originally sandcast because Honda had no idea how popular they'd be, so they hedged their bets.
In the real world, the pressure cast units are better, the sandcast cases were porous and would 'sweat' oil.
There are very few of the originals because Honda used a 16t front sprocket (45t rear) that kicked the chain over too hard, the chain would break and bust the cases.
On the K1 models they went to 17/48 and problem was solved.

Of that list, I think the only one I would like to own is the CBX. What a machine.

The CL scrambler is already worth a fair bit. Getting harder to find now

Personally I don’t get the collector buzz. I have a collection, I really don’t care what they are worth - I collect bikes that amuse me. I collect them to re-live the nostalgic riding characteristics of days gone by.

I don’t want them on a mantle, I want the rolling down the road under my ass. I also get a bit of a kick when my low value relics draw an inquisitive crowd wherever I take them.

I don't know nearly enough about the collect-ability of bikes or their value etc.
But I think this is a very nice looking bike.

1999 to 2005 Kawasaki ZRX, all ready some what of a collector bike
1592188037540.png

Back
Top Bottom