1/4" torque wrench | GTAMotorcycle.com

1/4" torque wrench

matthew

Site Supporter
Is there such a thing as a good quality 1/4" torque wrench? I have one from Princess Auto and bought it for the intention of using it with fairing bolts but I cannot feel it click when reaching the desired torque.

Every other 1/4" torque wrench I come across online all appear to look like the same as the PA one, just with different names stamped on the side.

Is there anything available that isn't Snap-On but at least functional?

There is a snap on wrench for sure. Really small fasteners, i just hold the socket with my fingers and leave the ratchet handle out of my grasp.

Is there such a thing as a good quality 1/4" torque wrench? I have one from Princess Auto and bought it for the intention of using it with fairing bolts but I cannot feel it click when reaching the desired torque.

Every other 1/4" torque wrench I come across online all appear to look like the same as the PA one, just with different names stamped on the side.

Is there anything available that isn't Snap-On but at least functional?
Get a 3/8 to1/4 step down adapter ?

What torque are you looking for? May be better with a torque screwdriver.

Whatever the manual calls for. I'm pretty good at not over tightening bolts but I just want to hit the recommended torque values set out in the manual; My fairings are brittle and I don't want to crack any mounting tabs

1612828900586.png

Whatever the manual calls for. I'm pretty good at not over tightening bolts but I just want to hit the recommended torque values set out in the manual; My fairings are brittle and I don't want to crack any mounting tabs

View attachment 46955
Clicker torque wrench is hard to make work at low values. You just dont have the energy in the system for a solid click. Look for used dial torque wrenches or shell out the big bucks for an electronic torque wrench.

View attachment 46955
It's a lot easier to break plastic tabs when they are frozen. Or it's a Honda. Lol

I haven't heard much about their torque wrenches, but I've heard good things about Wera ratchets. I have some of their sockets and screwdrivers - typical high quality you'd expect being made in Germany.

Still pricey though, but only half as much as Snap On.

Deflecting beam torque wrenches are the only way to go, you can get some that will actually click when you reach the desired torque too, depends how much you want to pay...

Warren & Brown Deflecting Beam Torque Wrench 1/4'' (1-25Nm) . #320510 | eBay

On a side note, ive worked on and played with bikes a long time and I've never even thought about using a torque wrench on fairing bolts, usually just a T handle Allan key.

I've been told that anything under 7 or 8 lbs.ft is difficult to measure accurately with anything reasonably priced. Not sure how true that is, but I was told by a mechanic friend not to bother getting a small (2-22 lbs.ft) torque wrench because I'd be better off going by feel. At those values, you're not stretching the bolt anyway, it's just enough to keep the nut held in place.

For mid-range (i.e. cheaper than Snap-On but more than the $15 crap one) I really like the electronic 3/8" one I got from Canadian Tire, which is identical to a number of other store brand models. They sell a 1/4" drive electronic unit that does 1.1 to 22.1 lbs.ft for $180 (it'll be half price eventually if you're willing to wait), but only guarantee accuracy from 20-100% of the range, which wouldn't include anything 5 lbs.ft or less.

I really don't like the click wrenches, as there's nothing to let you know where you are. If you miss the click or it doesn't click for any reason, you can over-torque a fastener quite easily. My big wrench is a clicker, but that only gets used for a few big nuts on the bike where it's pretty hard to accidentally overdo it. At super low values, it'd be too easy to break something...

I guess I'm trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. That's what happens when I'm bored and start looking for tools online.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom