08 Ninja 250R - Just changed oil, Vibrating sound after Engine Rev | GTAMotorcycle.com

08 Ninja 250R - Just changed oil, Vibrating sound after Engine Rev

Jonnie

I changed my oil for the first time since getting my used 2008 Ninja 250R. I noticed that the oil filter was missing the metal washer, so being that I did not have one on hand, I replaced the filter with a KN-401 without the washer as well. I read that the washer is good to have but not necessary. Put in Amsoil 10W40, started the bike, and then topped off with more oil till it was within the limit lines. Everything seemed fine. The bike rides smoother with the new oil.

This is where things get a bit interesting. Once the bike is warmed up, and I rev the engine, a vibrating ticking sound follows the rev and dies off. This ticking sound isn't present when idle or low RPMS. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? Aside from the oil change, I didn't touch anything else.

How many clicks on the bike? What was the previous maintenance done by the previous owner? How long since the last oil change, since you say this is the first time you did it. When did you buy it?

Is it a vibrating metallic ticking or more of a buzz? If its the former you could have a bit of a problem...otherwise its probably some plastic part oscillating back and forth which is likely and more noticeable at higher rpms, or something as simple as a loose screw vibrating. Try to figure out which area its coming from and go over every bit and bolt

I bought it with 7600 clicks, I'm at around 9200 now. Owner claims to have done regular maintenance, probably 1500 km since the last oil change when I bought the bike.

It's not a buzzing as far as I can tell. It's not consistent, it only follows a hard rev and then dies off when you let go of the throttle. I'm going to do some more tests today.

The little Ninjas are buzzy bikes to begin with (i.e., 250, 500 and 650 are all plagued with buzzing issues). Look at all the rubber doohickies (rubber mounts) between your plastics and around the engine. It's pretty common for one to fall off and result in a buzzing sound.

Now when you mean the "metal washer," do you mean from the drain bolt? If that washer is missing, (it's called a crush washer for your reference), you should not leave that missing. Unless you want to leak oil.

That is quite likely the problem. But I don't even know where to start. lol. I just know it wasn't there prior to the oil change.

As for the metal washer, it's not the drain bolt one (even though I should replace it with a fresh one). It's the one that sits inside the engine, on top of the filter element cap.

That is quite likely the problem. But I don't even know where to start. lol. I just know it wasn't there prior to the oil change.

As for the metal washer, it's not the drain bolt one (even though I should replace it with a fresh one). It's the one that sits inside the engine, on top of the filter element cap.

I've never replaced my drain plug washer. If you use a torque wrench and the right setting, you really shouldn't need to replace it every oil change. Of course, it's good practice to do so, but not entirely necessary. If it's visibly deformed, replace it.

I know which washer you're talking about, and it's not STRICTLY necessary, but I'd make sure to get it from the dealer so you can put it back on during the next filter change.

At that mileage, I would very much doubt engine issues. Follow the other suggestions in the thread, especially by LoneRonin. That's likely the culprit.

Put in Amsoil 10W40, started the bike, and then topped off with more oil till it was within the limit lines. Everything seemed fine. The bike rides smoother with the new oil.

Are you saying you filled the bike to the line while it was running? On most bikes this would overfill the oil considerably (maybe the ninja 250 is different?). Was the bike flat and level or on the side stand?

Hmmm... I would post the question on the Ninja 250 forum to get a more specific answer. They would know exactly which rubber mounting doohickie fell off. I know this is common on the 500 and 650. Must be common on the 250 as well.

Try this one: http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/ but a google search gave me a whack of them so you can certainly pick and choose if you can't get an answer there. Going to a specific forum for your bike also has the added benefit of (usually) having detailed instructions for maintenance on your bike that you can follow. :)

As for the metal washer by the filter, I have no idea. My bike doesn't have one (but it's also not a Kawi product).

from my experience i wouldnt worry about it unless it sounds like metal rattling in your engine ;P

the washer that goes with the filter isnt necessary...i never saw one when i bought my bike and havent used one after 4-5 oil changes.

for the buzzing...check your fairings and make sure theres nothing loose/missing. no missing screws or rubber grommets. try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from...

goodluck

Back
Top Bottom