06 Suzuki gsxr 600 engine into 06 600 katana | GTAMotorcycle.com

06 Suzuki gsxr 600 engine into 06 600 katana

So to further my possibilities.
Would it be way better to put a 2006 gsxr 600 engine in an 2006 katana 600?

I previously asked about a GS and you all were great thank you; so not I wonder. Cuz I already ordered the motor lol. So it’s going into something lol.

would I need the wiring harness for the gsxr engine?

Not going to work either liquid cooled vs air cooled and wont match on mounts . Maybe build yourself a go cart?
If he just has a bare engine, his best bet is probably to sell it. He will need a lot of parts and money to get it running in anything. If he happened to buy the engine, rad, ecu, harness, etc, I'd probably go with off-road buggy as at least you can legally use that somewhere. Very few people have paved private property big enough for a fast kart.

I’m going to just donate the engine to my mechanic lol.
Thank you for helping me realize boredom doesn’t mean I always need to do an engine swap. Covid got me bored

You’re also gonna need all the electronics ecu basically the entire bike and somehow make it fit into the wrong frame.

My bad grey beat me to this post, gotta start reading the whole thread before posting

No, no, no.

Excluding "with enough cutting, welding, and machining, you can make anything fit anything else" ...

Engine swaps in motorcycles are NOT like engine swaps in a '69 Camaro.

The only ones that have a hope without major re-engineering are those within the same design family - for example, GSXR600 and GSXR750 of the same model generation (adjacent model years that don't cross a design generation), Yamaha FZR400 and FZR600 and early (non-R6) YZF600, and so forth. Those have at least a hope of having interface points being the same, or at least compatible.

All modern sport bikes use the engine as a structural part of the frame. That works as long as the engine mounts line up. As soon as you are no longer using the original engine mounts as originally designed ... the chassis engineering goes out the window, and now, maintaining adequate chassis structure etc is on YOU.

And ... just because you can, doesn't mean you should. A 2006 Suzuki GSXR600 is a perfectly fine motorcycle with its original engine installed in place. A 2006 Suzuki Katana 600 is meh, unremarkable but functional, with its original engine installed in place. Putting the late model GSXR engine into the Katana won't make it a better bike (and won't increase its value).

P.S. If you insist on engine-swapping the Katana, that engine is in the same design family as the original air-and-oil-cooled GSXR engines from 1985 to the 1990s when they started changing over to liquid cooling. But why bother? The best way to make a Katana into a GSXR is to sell the complete Katana and buy a complete GSXR and forget about engine swaps. Don't want a dedicated sport bike because you want the more comfortable Katana? Then leave the poor thing alone with its original engine and just ride it. More power isn't what that bike needs. It's everything else.

Back
Top Bottom