06 suzuki gs500f changing oil | GTAMotorcycle.com

06 suzuki gs500f changing oil

crist

guys, this is my first time changing the engine oil of my bike. i was wondering if any of u guys know a place nearby my place(Jane and wilson)to buy oil and oil filter
thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Look in the book at Canadian tire they have the filters as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Power sports section not automotive in most stores

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Many motorcycle filters are cross referenceable against a car filter. Typically the car filter option will be significantly cheaper than the dealership or specific motorcycle equivalent. There is an argument to be made for the potential quality differences between the two, but I opted for a Fram ToughGuard for my bike that is a well regarded automotive filter, and I found a cross reference sheet that actually showed a model that included an extra 2" of length while still fitting where the stock filter goes. Those extra 2" of pleats in there means better filtration over it's life.

Unless something has changed, the gs500 uses a small cartridge, not spin-on, oil filter. It's been a while but I can't remember CT ever having them for sale. Hopefully they do, otherwise it's off to a powersports garage or the internet.

Unless something has changed, the gs500 uses a small cartridge, not spin-on, oil filter. It's been a while but I can't remember CT ever having them for sale.

Aha.. Yeah, I was referencing spin ons.

Unless something has changed, the gs500 uses a small cartridge, not spin-on, oil filter. It's been a while but I can't remember CT ever having them for sale. Hopefully they do, otherwise it's off to a powersports garage or the internet.

Many motorcycle filters are cross referenceable against a car filter. Typically the car filter option will be significantly cheaper than the dealership or specific motorcycle equivalent. There is an argument to be made for the potential quality differences between the two, but I opted for a Fram ToughGuard for my bike that is a well regarded automotive filter, and I found a cross reference sheet that actually showed a model that included an extra 2" of length while still fitting where the stock filter goes. Those extra 2" of pleats in there means better filtration over it's life.

does any of u know how do i know which size of oil filter that's in my bike?

I found a FRAM cartridge at CT for my FJ. They're uncommon though - you gotta find a CT that has a dedicated powersports section.

OP you can look up your bike at http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive.html and it'll tell you which store(s) have your filter in stock.

Just a heads up that if you're planning to change the oil filter, there are models where you'll have to drop the exhaust headers to get at the filter. That's the case with my gf's 2005 gs500... kinda sucks.

Just a heads up that if you're planning to change the oil filter, there are models where you'll have to drop the exhaust headers to get at the filter. That's the case with my gf's 2005 gs500... kinda sucks.

Nope, that's overkill, unless 2005+ models have different exhausts than earlier ones. Changed oil 5-6 times on a 2003 gs500, never dropped the headers. Warm up the engine, let the headers cool a bit, use work gloves to avoid burns. I stopped warming the engine up later, no difference to operation or shifting. Suzuki's interval was 6400km, did it every 5000km. Oil will drip onto the pipes, but you can place foil over top to catch it, or wipe off afterwards.

If you want to really challenge your paws, try getting a grip on a Zx6e oil filter. JUST enough room to get between the two inner headers. Almost no space to work with at the sides either. The factory filter was a real bugbear to get off. Even a cap wrench wasn't a sure thing. The filter actually jammed into the cap, collapsed and then I had to pry it out with screwdrivers from both sides. Gah.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom