“Please don’t blame a 12 year-old child:” Boy accidentally rips $1.5M painting | GTAMotorcycle.com

“Please don’t blame a 12 year-old child:” Boy accidentally rips $1.5M painting

suzuki2000

Maybe I’m a cynic here, but I’ve seen that “oops, I tripped”move before. I’m sure I’ve done itmyself, never into a million $ + article... Looks pretty sketchy to me.

https://youtu.be/3D1XY0kPAFA

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5814224--please-don-t-blame-a-12-year-old-child-boy-accidentally-rips-1-5m-painting/

B822080557Z.1_20150826075955_000_G1E1HMGIG.3_Gallery.jpg

Look, don't touch — that's what mothers tell their children.
That bit of advice — a must for patrons of fine art galleries — didn't help a Taiwanese boy who tripped and fell into a 350-year-old painting by 17th-century Italian artist Paolo Porpora, leaving a fist-sized hole in the piece of art, reportedly valued at $1.5 million (U.S.).
TST Art of Discovery Co., organizer of the Face of Leonardo exhibit in Taipei, posted an account of the accident on the Facebook. Sun Chi-hsuan, a spokesperson, told Taiwanese media that they will not be pursuing the 12-year-old boy or his family for damages. The painting, which is privately owned, was insured.
"This is just a simple accident please don't blame a 12 year-old child," TST wrote on Facebook.
Organizers said surveillance video caught the boy tripping and falling into the Baroque painting, titled "Flowers."

Sun told Focus Taiwan news that the boy was very nervous about what he had done. The painting, which was meant to return to Italy after the exhibit, was kept in Taiwan so that repairs could be undertaken.
Restoration of the corner of the painting where the hole was reportedly took more than 18 hours with the help of chief conservateur Leo Tsai.
The floral still life, which measures 200 centimetres long, is considered an exemplary work of the Italian Baroque period.
According to Web Gallery of Art, Porpora studied with Giacomo Recco, a master of the still life style, when he was just 15 in 1632. The online gallery claims "Flowers" is the only painting ever signed by the artist, who died in 1673 in Rome.
"His paintings of fish, flowers, lizards and turtles have strong contrasts of light and dark and are carefully studied from natural specimens," John T. Spike, an expert in Italian baroque art, told the Star. "For this reason he is considered a distant follower of Caravaggio, who died before Porpora was born."
Although rumours have swirled in Taiwan about the authenticity of the painting, the organizers of the exhibit, which included paintings of Leonardo da Vinci, insist it is a genuine Porpora.
"All 55 paintings in the venue are authentic pieces and they are very rare and precious. Once these works are damaged, they are permanently damaged … we hope that everyone can protect these precious artworks with us," TST wrote on the exhibit's Facebook.

Last edited:
Eh. The hole seems to be in a relatively low detail part of the painting, you probably won't even be able to see the electrical tape

Eh. The hole seems to be in a relatively low detail part of the painting, you probably won't even be able to see the electrical tape

Sorry, but if he'd destroyed your favorite My Little Pony master, you'd be out to lynch him.

This little hiccup will become part of this masterpieces history and future collectability. Books will be written, film rights fought over. Ever been to an art crawl?

I'm with Suzuki2k on this one. That "trip " was sketchy as hell. I've seen better acting in movies with titles like "hit me with your best money shot" and "one night in Chyna".

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

What kind of Gallery lets a kid that close to an expensive piece of art ... and with a large slurpy cup in hand.... If that art is so rare and expensive it should be behind some sort of protective barrier and glass... I wouldn't trust these people with any private collections ever again.....

It's unfortunate and it can be repaired.

Palmyra, now THAT'S a tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom