What's for dinner? | Page 53 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

It’s definitely not health food but the scots take it a step further. Deep fried mars bars? Deep fried pizza? I think the last thing I heard about in Scotland was deep fried battered Oreo cookies.

surviving on sausage the shape of a rugby ball
made from entrails and oatmeal
is better than losing half your pop from a failed potato crop

I eat food....don’t usually take pics. I’m not a millennial!

Someone in Canada has to make decent bacon surely? Check out the Wiltshire stuff from Loblaws, that’s the kind that I mean.

I'm a Wiltshire born and bred lad, i will go check Loblaws to see if it's the authentic bacon :) Thanks for the tip.

I'm not a millennial jc100. Let's play nice with others too :).

They say a picture is worth a thousand words; it's true. They are by far the most interesting posts here.

As for bacon products, Cumbraes is a standout in the GTA for all butcher products, and it definitely includes bacon. https://www.cumbraes.com/ . Bershire pork is available to the bigger enthusiasts at Cumbraes :D. See what you like for bacon options :); my premium faves are smoked+ bacon, back bacon and pork belly. Before that earlier breed talk find your favourite cut
luxhello.gif
. There's nothing wrong with starting at what many people enjoy as the top with pork belly
clap2.gif
. Either way, give them all a try.

An easier option is to find a half decent local butcher, build a relationship and ask for what you want. Amazing the dividends that gives
ban-split.gif
. You know my favourite cuts
banana2.gif

Enjoy the emoticons :). More meals pictures coming soon.

Last edited:
No branches near me sadly. How many local butchers cure their own meats though? That’s the real issue. It’s easy enough for a butcher to cut pork from the right part of the animal but if that cut isn’t cured properly it’s not bacon. I'll keep looking. This may be an obsession.

Edit. 99% of the time I’m on my iPad and posting pics with it to forums isn’t very user friendly it seems.

Last edited:
Nearly forgot. There’s a mass market brand called Lou's that has back bacon but there’s something not quite right with it. It’s pretty good though, again, I don’t think it’s cured properly or something.

surviving on sausage the shape of a rugby ball
made from entrails and oatmeal
is better than losing half your pop from a failed potato crop

Good haggis is tremendous. Bad haggis is a ****ing abomination. Bad haggis reminded me of an artisanal sausage I was encouraged to try in France when I was working there. The only way to describe this sausage was that it was a slimy bag of eyelids and arseholes and those things were not cut up very fine.

Good haggis is tremendous. Bad haggis is a ****ing abomination. Bad haggis reminded me of an artisanal sausage I was encouraged to try in France when I was working there. The only way to describe this sausage was that it was a slimy bag of eyelids and arseholes and those things were not cut up very fine.
Well, you may not be able to post pictures, but that description posted a terrible picture in my mind.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I'm a Wiltshire born and bred lad, i will go check Loblaws to see if it's the authentic bacon :) Thanks for the tip.
I've had the PC Wiltshire bacon. It's good but it's basically the same as back bacon to me and back bacon is significantly cheaper. Especially at a butcher; it will be more fresh as well :). If you pick it up let us know what you think! I really enjoy that style of bacon when I fit it in to my meals
bowdown.gif
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_bacon

If this is British bacon, it's the same as back bacon in Canada. http://www.themaltesebacon.com/british-bacon/ :confused:

@JoeBass, was the fish taco info helpful?
I found this awesome guacamole recipe on line
boogie.gif
; it caught my eye immediately with a rating of 4.8 stars (out of 5) and over 4000 reviews (>9k report making the recipe). That's impressive
bowdown.gif
. It includes fresh lime juice, fresh diced garlic and I added some diced red sweet pepper :). I used garden onion and garden cherry tomatoes (two varieties including the excellent sweet sun sugar). I went with fresh ground 4 peppercorn instead of cayenne pepper because I wanted to use some excellent Mexican hot sauce I have around instead. I had fresh Italian parsley in the fridge and substituted that for the cilantro. The recipe is quick to make. This stuff is amazing :agave::agave:. Highly highly recommended.
attachment.php

Click on it to see the beautiful full size picture; it looks great!
Here's the recipe for anyone interested. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14231/guacamole/

Went with cheese on half the nachos :).
attachment.php

Another smokey Alabama grill chicken kebab. So tasty :agave:.
attachment.php

Cheers!

Last edited:
When I make guac it's just avocados, salt, pepper and lime. The kid doesn't like tomatoes.
I'm gonna try a variation of that recipe the next time.
Yes KW, thank you very much. I haven't had a chance to try it yet...first week back to school and back to back wedding weekends...been a little hectic.
Haven't even had a chance to cook the steaks from food basics that I picked up on sale.

When I make guac it's just avocados, salt, pepper and lime. The kid doesn't like tomatoes.
I'm gonna try a variation of that recipe the next time.
Yes KW, thank you very much. I haven't had a chance to try it yet...first week back to school and back to back wedding weekends...been a little hectic.
Haven't even had a chance to cook the steaks from food basics that I picked up on sale.

Never had it down south with anything in it except what you listed, never any tomato. We add tomatoes at home but don’t use watery ones otherwise the guacamole gets too runny. I’ve found taste depends on the avocados used too. There’s a giant variety that has a really buttery texture that’s good. There’s a couple,of different varieties of cilantro too and one is more pungent than the other. I like guacamole but the difficult thing is getting the avocados just as they are ripe. One last thing, don’t blend it, the texture's better if you just mash the avocado with a fork.

Down south I've generally seen the same more-plain guacamole but it's also served with pico de gallo, which people combine together when they eat (I do and it's obviously great). I see this recipe as a reflection of that, a combination of the two and a nice premium foodie style as well :). Try it, it tastes amaaaaazing :agave: .

I've read about that more coarse texture avocado prep recommendation as you mention @jc100. I know enough that I've been looking to get a lava molcajete for the last few years. Its coarse coarse texture (must be lava) is a well known go-to kitchen tool for certain Mexican food. And more than just prep, look at the molcajete cook recipes :D; it's a traditional regional style of Mexican cooking. I'm really looking forward to it. It's hard to find a lava molcajete in Canada; I've been watching a few options. I just pulled the trigger on one finally. Almost missed this offering, 338 of 340 were sold
rolleyes3.gif
:). Best price I've seen in years (tmd). Authentic. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191016273208

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ng/sd-fo-mexican-utensils-20170425-story.html

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2018/The-Tools-Chefs-Use/

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/how-to-use-a-molcajete/

I already have a granite molcajete :). https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006O3RQNG . It's my mortar and pestle, with a much much finer surface and grind. Great foodie tools.

Did I say I'm looking forward to it
spin.gif
! I definitely have some foodie traits, lol.

I added more bacon talk in my previous post. I love bacon and tend to make it less often because I find it's so addictive :). Here's my ode to bacon from last new years time. It's got a toasted bun, medium-over egg, processed cheese slice, double (Canadian) back bacon (two slices) and double USA style bacon in the sandwich (aka regular store bacon, but thick-slice naturally ;)), with extra regular store thick-cut bacon on the side because it wouldn't all fit :D :agave::agave:.
attachment.php

Last edited:
That picture you posted for British back bacon isn’t quite right. It usually has a little more of a “tail” to it. Not much but it adds a small amount of fat and that adds flavour. Kind of like a marbled steak vs one that’s got no fat at all. That’s the difference for me between British back bacon and the Canadian back bacon that’s lean but too lean. The Canadian bacon Ive seen seems more like a sliced loin cut or something with hardly any fat at all. As I’ve mentioned before, the cure seems a bit different here too, it’s hard to explain but there’s a definite difference in uncooked British vs Canadian bacon. It makes a difference at the end.

Edit. I have to say I sound obsessed about this. I kind of am. Bacon is the #1 reason why I could never be a vegetarian.

Last edited:
That picture you posted for British back bacon isn’t quite right. It usually has a little more of a “tail” to it. Not much but it adds a small amount of fat and that adds flavour. Kind of like a marbled steak vs one that’s got no fat at all. That’s the difference for me between British back bacon and the Canadian back bacon that’s lean but too lean. The Canadian bacon Ive seen seems more like a sliced loin cut or something with hardly any fat at all. As I’ve mentioned before, the cure seems a bit different here too, it’s hard to explain but there’s a definite difference in uncooked British vs Canadian bacon. It makes a difference at the end.

Edit. I have to say I sound obsessed about this. I kind of am. Bacon is the #1 reason why I could never be a vegetarian.
I thought it may be the case. If you're obsessed you should find a picture and post it :). Is it like one of these?
BaconUncooked.JPG

I thought it may be the case. If you're obsessed you should find a picture and post it :). Is it like one of these?
BaconUncooked.JPG

Bottom right! Bottom left is what I see Canadian back bacon as usually. You can get the stuff rindless too which is the best.

Bottom right! Bottom left is what I see Canadian back bacon as usually. You can get the stuff rindless too which is the best.
I thought it might be that one :). Seems we found it. Here's the source link for that picture. I've never seen it for sale but I'm sure a good butcher can cut it for you :). http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2010/11/09/three-little-pigs/ . The bottom left stuff you mention is discussed in the Wikipedia link earlier so check it out. It isn't "Canadian back bacon" but rather "Canadian bacon" or "Canadian-style bacon". It's an american name and product. I'm bacon geeking here, lol
read.gif

Here's typical butcher available "back bacon" in Canada, or "Canadian back bacon".
1024px-Bacon.JPG

g1290_1.jpg

Quality ingredients and sources are great :D! Peameal back bacon is a recommended Canadian style as well
ban-cha.gif
. On top of all this are unsmoked, smoked and smoked+ options when you can find the right sources. :)
Well I definitely have a hankering for some nice butcher back bacon thanks to all this bacon talk :agave:. Time to visit my favourite butcher again :).

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm gonna apologize in advance.....

Went with some bacon-style-turkey, eggs, avocado and fried garden tomatoes (never tried this before but @Robbo's post had me drooling!) for brunch today.
This may hold me over until tonight's steak dinner.

987ab899167176a37bb308a384c49aa6.jpg

Some turkey bacon isn’t bad. Can’t remember which one I had. Don’t think it was the butterball stuff.

Back
Top Bottom