What's for dinner? | Page 52 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

More great pictures :).

One more excellent turkey sandwich :), this one with garden onion and cold pickled cucumbers, plus mayo, lettuce, salt and pepper on a toasted bun. :agave:
attachment.php

Weber summit grilled lemon citrus marinated fish kebabs with garden two variety cherry tomatoes and toasted garlic bread with added fresh basil. :agave:
attachment.php

Excellent! :agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Took some fresh rhubarb from the garden and made scratch rhubarb muffins :agave:.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice cook on the chicken KW.
I'm still an over cooker

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Nice cook on the chicken KW.
I'm still an over cooker
That's not chicken ;).

I've really refined my kebab cooks this year and I made detailed notes. I'm also using a probe thermometer to get beautifully cooked chicken and fish kebabs.
happygaze.gif

The garden is still really producing well and I'm eating lots of fresh garden vegetables every day, if not in every meal.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I've had fresh corn every day for the last 7 days straight :). The microwave cook I recently tried and mentioned earlier is the best way I've eaten corn, and it's the easiest as well. So awesome. It was served with butter and a pinch of sugar and salt. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

Another sale so I went and made beer battered (cast iron skillet) smoked yellow cod fish tacos again :). With garden onion and two varieties of cherry tomatoes, plus diced chipotles in adobo sauce, diced lettuce, a bit of premium salsa, sliced avocado (under there somewhere) and a generous amount of fresh squeezed lime juice. :agave:
attachment.php

I ran out of tortilla shells so I went with a fish sandwich! Lots of garden onion and two varieties of cherry tomatoes, plus diced chipotles in adobo sauce, diced lettuce, sliced avocado and a generous amount of fresh squeezed lime juice on a lightly lightly toasted fresh bun. :agave:
attachment.php

I picked up some fresh turkish jalapeno bread. This stuff is amazing, and I really enjoy it with premium olive oil and balsamic vinegar :agave:.
attachment.php

Made a cheese smokie on a toasted bun with garden onion plus mustard, corn relish and garden cold pickled cucumbers on the side :).
attachment.php

Did someone say chicken kebabs earlier?
ban-cha.gif

I picked more amazing chicken kebabs on sale :). These are Smokey Alabama marinated chicken kebabs cooked perfectly on the Weber summit. Awesome :agave::agave:
e5e66d51cb04b04d61d56cbde2753507d747317a5db3300914c7fd2e25f3467a.jpg

a682e8cde6568b5b433c01de0f8aba4bc051e57448491aaa04a47601ddd6301f.jpg

Both of these chicken kebab pictures are high high resolution pictures. Click on them to see the details :) .

Cheers!

Last edited:
Let's try this again..

Nice job on the chicken kabobs KW! (lol I suck, I know)

Those fish tacos look like they might go over well at my place. Do you have a recipe link? I have only ever cooked salmon.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Looking at my recent cooks I see that much of the food not coming out of the garden was picked up on sale at the grocer. I have not paid full price for any meat kebabs yet this year for example
clap.gif
. I also see seasonal patterns in the meals and cooking. It's an interesting observation. I'm still getting a very large amount of variety too.

Let's try this again..

Nice job on the chicken kabobs KW! (lol I suck, I know)

Those fish tacos look like they might go over well at my place. Do you have a recipe link? I have only ever cooked salmon.
LOL. Thx! Some of my best great food pictures have been these summer kebab grilled cooks. I have more from that sale coming
ban-cha.gif

I'm happy to help on the fish tacos! They will be great with the family and there are so many ways a fish taco can be made :D. I tend to do riffs on fish tacos using what I have around the house. Let me give you a few recipes to check out plus some general advice and you're good to go. I was getting some weird server error in posting so I split this post into two.

#1. Here's a recipe for beer battered fish. I got the recipe from bishop in this thread ;); I miss his great food posts and pictures :). This is the way to go for many fish taco meals and especially baja style fish tacos imo
happygaze.gif

Beer batter fish
2 Servings (half pound fish fillets for two people)
Ingredients
1/4 cup flour
1 and 1/3 tbsp cornstarch
1/16 tsp baking soda (slightly heaped)
Some fresh beer (it takes less than half a bottle, or you can substitute water if you don't want beer)
Fresh squeezed lime juice for plating

Directions
Use all purpose flour and either cornstarch or rice flour in a 3:1 ratio. To the flour mix add the baking powder. To that add enough beer to mix everything together in a very very thick slurry (half to cup or so) and then let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Preheat a cast iron skillet at a bit less than medium heat (375F or so) for 5 minutes or so. Just before frying mix in a little fresh beer with the slurry to keep the CO2 bubbles and bring the mix from very very thick to thick. Don't worry about how much volume other than making sure to keep the slurry thick (don't use too much beer and make it thin). Move heat setting down to about 1/3 on a powerful burner, dredge the fish in cornstarch or rice flour and then dip in the batter. Add the fish to the skillet. How long to fry depends on how big the fish pieces are; for something about the size of an Iphone 6 about 2-3 minutes per side. For larger and thicker go more time. One inch plus cooked through can be 5-6 minutes per side. If you are doing fish tacos then when you plate the tortillas don't forget to squeeze fresh lime juice onto it.

Last edited:
#2. Obviously, beer battered fish is not the only way to prepare fish for tacos, though it is my favourite :). Grilled or pan fried fish is an excellent option in fish tacos as well. Simply see which recipes below discuss grilled/pan-fried fish and google that cooking method for more information. Maybe a blackened style fish cook interests you (another riff).

I recommend reasonably good fresh white fish in my fish tacos but you can always riff. For me that often means local fish and stuff on sale. Haddock, cod or halibut for example. I'll use more premium options too such as walleye, trout, rainbow trout, etc. Maybe more Mexican-available fish such as mahi mahi, red snapper, etc. People use tuna. Salmon is a great option imo as a riff with lettuce, greens, avocado and cream cheese in the taco. The heavy smoked yellow cod fish tacos I've posted is quite a different riff. I've seen smoked salmon fish tacos too :).

#3. IMO, a Baja style fish tacos recipe is the perfect recipe to start at. I love Baja style fish tacos. Beer battered fish (is most common) with cabbage, cream sauce and lime juice. It's amazing. Here are a few recipes that have caught my eye, but make battered fish instead of grilled imo for at least the first few cooks if that sounds most appealing. Use the beer batter recipe above and one of the recipes below for the slaw and cream parts, plus consider the additional or optional ingredients (e.g., avocado).
https://www.thekitchenwhisperer.net/2015/03/12/grilled-fish-soft-tacos-with-baja-cream-sauce/
https://natashaskitchen.com/fish-tacos-recipe/
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/baja-style-fish-tacos-recipe-2014136

Here's a simple baja fish taco recipe with over 250 reviews and high ratings. https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/baja-fish-tacos.html

#4. General advice. That recipe is just a starting point for one style of fish taco and there are other options, styles and riffs. A tomato-based condiment is great instead of using a cream sauce. It can be diced tomatoes, salsa or pico de gallo, all of which will work very well. Consider a combination of premium store salsa with added diced garden tomatoes and onions; it's very easy, fast and fresh. I look forward to using Mexican adobo sauce and mole sauce (shown in a few of my older posts posts) in fish taco meals :D.

Typical associated ingredients used in conjunction with tomato-based condiments in fish tacos include lettuce, cheeses, avocado, hot sauce, greens, jalapenos, etc. Fresh cilantro or Italian parsley can be a great ingredient. Let your imagination run. I've tried a mango salsa, pickles, etc. Maybe corn interests you. Much of what you see with my cooks is what I have around the house on hand. And I highly recommend never forgetting plenty of fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice on every fish taco :agave:.

Hope that helps. I try to fit in fish cooks regularly since they are so healthy. I've been doing a pretty good job of that this year and it's been great. Go for it as much as you can I say.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Low salt bacon is a crime against humanity. If there’s one thing I miss from the old country it’s decent bacon. I’ve still not found anything here that isn’t imported that’s similar. Nothing beats rindless smoked back bacon in a sandwich with a little ketchup. Loblaws has some Wiltshire bacon that isn’t bad but it’s pretty pricey and not quite there. Brandt double smoked bacon from the deli isn’t bad. A polish deli near me has some reasonable stuff every now and then. To put this into context, in the UK you can get streaky, middle and back bacon, smoked, unsmoked, rind on, rind off. Different smokes, etc.

Peameal bacon is just bacon with building rubble rubbed on one side.

rant over.

Low salt bacon is a crime against humanity. If there’s one thing I miss from the old country it’s decent bacon. I’ve still not found anything here that isn’t imported that’s similar. Nothing beats rindless smoked back bacon in a sandwich with a little ketchup. Loblaws has some Wiltshire bacon that isn’t bad but it’s pretty pricey and not quite there. Brandt double smoked bacon from the deli isn’t bad. A polish deli near me has some reasonable stuff every now and then. To put this into context, in the UK you can get streaky, middle and back bacon, smoked, unsmoked, rind on, rind off. Different smokes, etc.

Peameal bacon is just bacon with building rubble rubbed on one side.

rant over.

Mmmmmm ?.

The best bacon I have ever had is double-smoked bacon from Top Market Meats in Cambridge. They do a lot of different bacons but the double-smoked is their best.
They also have a Maple Breakfast Sausage to die for (again best I have ever had).
I usually hop on the and make a trip out that way to stock up our freezer. In fact, I’ll be heading there this week (probably Wednesday looking at the weather forecast).

ddc26da8d1c8e846c486e50d5252e28f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I realize this is a dinner thread but I made the run to Cambridge yesterday for double-smoked bacon and sausages and thought I would at least share this morning’s breakfast.

Double-smoked bacon, two eggs over easy, fried tomato and fried bread (in the bacon fat so only one frying pan for clean up), one sliced avocado.

Closest to an English breakfast as I can get @jc100

bc760387c370f08d5c594e9ff17f3b93.jpg

I realize this is a dinner thread but I made the run to Cambridge yesterday for double-smoked bacon and sausages and thought I would at least share this morning’s breakfast.

Double-smoked bacon, two eggs over easy, fried tomato and fried bread (in the bacon fat so only one frying pan for clean up), one sliced avocado.

Closest to an English breakfast as I can get @jc100

bc760387c370f08d5c594e9ff17f3b93.jpg

I'm not sure most Brits know what an avocado looks like.

Once a year back home I’d have an English breakfast that was sausage, bacon, eggs, beans, tomato, toast, mushrooms, fried kidneys and blood sausage.

Any more than once a year and I’d probably not be here now.

Well I did say “closest to”. Agree on the avocado but didn’t have a tin of baked beans in the cupboard, and the sausages were for another day.

Looks great Robbo! Nice spread, variety and attention to detail. I don't know if jc100 has ever given a compliment to anyone here (I checked checked the last ten pages and gave up). He's our resident critic, haha.

And you've already posted more pics than him ;-). C'mon jc100, we need food pics :).

Id like to change the oil I use in my cesar salad, which super premium oil do you guys recommend.
That award winning PJ Kabos olive oil is back in stock for anyone interested.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DWDF2FV

Looks great Robbo! Nice spread, variety and attention to detail. I don't know if jc100 has ever given a compliment to anyone here (I checked checked the last ten pages and gave up). He's our resident critic, haha.

And you've already posted more pics than him ;-). C'mon jc100, we need food pics :).

That award winning PJ Kabos olive oil is back in stock for anyone interested.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DWDF2FV

I eat food....don’t usually take pics. I’m not a millennial!

Someone in Canada has to make decent bacon surely? Check out the Wiltshire stuff from Loblaws, that’s the kind that I mean.

Just in case no one has tried various offal dishes, I highly recommend fried kidneys. You will likely have to rinse them quite well before cooking but they taste delicious. Liver and onions is also good. Sheeps liver and sheeps kidneys are a milder taste than beef.

I eat food....don’t usually take pics. I’m not a millennial!

Someone in Canada has to make decent bacon surely? Check out the Wiltshire stuff from Loblaws, that’s the kind that I mean.

Will pick up a pack of the Wiltshire bacon from Loblaws and give it a go.

The place I get my bacon from in Cambridge does an English style bacon that looks and tastes like back bacon. Not sure if it is cured in a salt brine like the Wiltshire...next time I am there I will ask the owner and let you know.

Last edited:
go make friends with a butcher at KW farmers market (thursdays) or haunt the St Lawrence for somebody selling pork belly bacon, not the side bacon paper thin crap we are getting from Schnieders and others.
American bacon, south of the MasonDixon line looks nothing like our, its salty thick happy bacon, more similar to a traditional english bacon.

maple flavored bacon is wrong, it should never be sweet, it should be salty happiness.

I’m actually surprised that British back bacon isn’t a thing here. Not that any bacon is really healthy but the back stuff has just the right mix of fat and lean meat for flavour and it is way way leaner than the streaky stuff here. Canadian back bacon doesn’t seem to have enough fat to make it really tasty and any I’ve tried seems to have a weird cure to it.

As a student in the UK there was a truck that parked on university property and had the longest lines for food. They sold sausage, bacon or fried egg sandwiches or mixes thereof. Glorious truck food before truck food became trendy.

Also since I’m reminiscing, aside from the bacon the thing I really miss in Canada is a roast pork sandwich on a fresh barm cake (large soft bun) that’s been sliced and rubbed over the roast pork joint (instead of butter) with a filling of roast pork, crackling (crispy pork skin), sage and onion stuffing and apple sauce. That thing was heavenly.

whats that other crackling sound? Oh that's my arteries hardening.......

My folks on one side were Brit/Welsh/Scot, (poor scots) you ate everything but the moo and the oink, and if it was too gross looking you hid it in a sausage and somehow called it a pudding. Fat was a food group, and gravy went on salad.

Back
Top Bottom