What's for dinner? | Page 51 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

So I have the 999th and the 1001st posts....I'm always a dollar short and a day late....is that even the right use of the saying?

Tbh KW, I didn't even know there was a sour cream based one, so I had to check:
3af3cb5fa960a65da10e6d157964c5d9.jpg

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

So I have the 999th and the 1001st posts....I'm always a dollar short and a day late....is that even the right use of the saying?

Tbh KW, I didn't even know there was a sour cream based one, so I had to check:
That's yogurt based which is by far the best choice. And it's a good one too. You're making me want to get tzatziki :). I tried to separate the 1000th post comment from our discussion with a double space; it wasn't directed to you at all. Just a funny observation. That saying you mention is usually the other way around.

Cheers

Last edited:
All good KW.
Didn't think it was aimed at me. I also thought it was cool and was making a lame attempt at being funny.

I love the fact that this thread has has so much input.
I love how most of the input is also home made meals.

I am going to make an attempt to try a new recipe every two weeks or so. We'll see how that goes...

Oh and btw @Riceburner, I actually stopped making sauce about 10 years back. We do it with the family, and wasn't fond of the end result. Combine that with a conscious effort to reduce my pasta intake.....
I actually prefer making a sauce using passata (Aurora or Molisana). I load up when they are on sale for $10 for a case of 12 bottles. Bring passata and some water to a boil and then stir every few minutes while allowing to simmer for at least 3 hours. Salt to taste.

Thx @JB. This thread needs more food pictures.

Wow those pork shoulders and pulled pork sandwiches look fantastic. I can't stop looking at it
Thx! I'll be making more soon as it's excellent.

Another garden vegetable custom butcher half pound beef burger :agave:.
attachment.php

With all the fresh garden vegetables I used a bunch in an asian vegetable stir fry. No meat in this one, but I did load it up with bok choy, carrots, peas and onions from the garden. I also added diced fresh garlic, shiitake mushrooms, basswood black fungus and cashews. No noodles and a simple sauce made with oyster sauce, black soy sauce (sweet) and a bit of fish sauce. Cooked in peanut oil and a bit of sesame oil added at the end for flavour. Top notch :agave::agave:.
attachment.php

Here's a picture of the tasty details.
attachment.php

Served with fresh garden vegetables on the side; sliced cucumber with salt/pepper and two varieties of cherry tomatoes :agave:.
attachment.php

I picked up some premium 4 peppercorn pepper from a spice vendor and you can see the difference :).
attachment.php

Tons of tomatoes coming out of the garden so I made more roasted cherry tomato soup :).
attachment.php

Made and served fresh with basil and grana padano parmesan cheese :agave::agave:.
attachment.php

Cheers!

Last edited:
Using up more garden tomatoes. Made another tomato, cucumber and onion salad. With rock salt, pepper and Colavita evoo that comes in a limited edition bottle that I won. Not sure if it's "ultra premium" , but it had a wonderful aroma when I popped the cork. Trying to cut down on my bread intake but then that leftover oil mixed with the juices.....
And then we had some frozen sirloin burgers with swiss and garden tomatoes.
Still trying to control flare ups on the grill and not overcook my burgers. These were pretty good. A little more cooked (seared?) on the outside, but the inside was still quite juicy.
c2d35d557b84f745b97d0f8b1fc6aff2.jpg
cec1ba3e1e96d1036a633701b053cfcd.jpg
53309ab74ff7dad8778758bda214af0f.jpg

It's great to see someone else eating garden food and posting their pictures here
beer.gif
! Nice to see the ultra premium olive oils coming out :D. Burgers look tasty and large :). A quality grill makes a huge difference to flare ups and I can't recommend that upgrade enough.

Made a summer turkey :); a butter injected premium 14.5 lb turkey done on the Weber Summit rotisserie = awesomeness. I did a poor job mounting the spit fork on one end and it chewed up part of the turkey during the cook :(, but the turkey still came out tender, juicy and excellent. I added a scratch-made turkey seasoning rub I saw on TV from Beast in Toronto - excellent (I've been there and highly recommend it, as does Anthony Bourdain https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...es-your-food-you-run-with-it/article12201965/ , https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...oks-and-this-city-s-chefs-loved-him-1.4697972 ). Served with scratch home-made cast iron skillet stuffing (it's the best stuffing I've ever had), cast iron skillet potatoes and fresh garden vegetables including tomatoes, carrots and cold pickled cucumbers. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

I picked the turkey up for <$14 earlier this year :).

I've been hankering for a turkey sandwich for a while. This one is classic style with a fresh bun, mayo, lettuce, pepper and salt.
attachment.php

I made up a charcuterie plate to serve with all the fresh garden vegetables I've got. It included white turkey meat, dark turkey meat, dry cured Spanish Serrano ham and proscuitto.
attachment.php

Turkish bread with Japapenos. This stuff is amazing, even more so with premium olive oil and balsamic vinegar. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

Fresh summer corn :D. In refreshing my memory on the details of my typical cook I found out about another cooking option; I had to try that as well.
Boiling cook in sugar water. Served with fresh butter and a pinch of salt :agave:.
attachment.php

Microwave cook. Served with fresh butter and a pinch of salt and sugar :agave:.
attachment.php

The microwave cook wins in my book! Amazing flavour and better texture. It's also an even easier cook.

Last edited:
we will cook corn on the grill tonite, husk it , rub with olive oil and rub sprinkle with smoked paprika and sea salt. takes about 10-12 mins and comes up with a nice char, doesnt heat up the house and I can do it while i burn some chicken.

@joe, if your tired of being a volunteer fire fighter look at a new grill, per KW's recommnedation, its a game changer for close the lid and cook.

Simply post to another forum that has member picture privileges and link the pictures here. : )

More great pictures incoming. In the meantime how about some ultra premium olive oil :D:rolleyes:?

I found this relatively rare purchase opportunity recently and thought I'd share. Almost gone already with only a few left; maybe more will come in if you don't get in on this. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DWDF2FV

PJ KABOS Family Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (grown in the ancient Olympia vicinity of Greece). It's a 2015-2018 gold medal award winner in the World Olive Oil Competition (yes, it exists and I posted about it earlier :lol:). $30 and free shipping after spending $5 more. That's much better value in my experience for a such an award winning olive oil than I've found so far on the net (it's the shipping cost from everyone else, not cheap to Canada).
file.jpg

This offering is known for how it expresses the flavours of the Greek Koroneiki olive variety (one of the top three dominant olive species used for olive oil production). This variety is literally the most common olive oil in production in Greece at >50% :). It also has a history of production over 3k years old in the region :). This olive oil was cold pressed within 12 hours of picking as well :).

The product brings an impressive flavour profile at this level, and one that's rooted in what the Koroneiki variety is well known for. This is not your average olive oil :). Here's an interesting read on Koroneiki olive oil taste and flavour characteristics. And there's a detailed taste profile further provided in the earlier amazon link. https://californiaoliveranch.com/koroneiki-the-little-olive-that-delivers-two-to-three-nice-coughs/

And maybe this interests someone here. Here's an alt style Doritos style snack food (stronger) Mexican style; at a good price on Amazon.ca as well. Takis Fuego. It's a spicy, slower burn but to considerable peak with numbing potential. There are a few other flavour types too. I've enjoyed these. https://www.amazon.ca/Takis-Fuego-Corn-Count-280g/dp/B075CV83P2

Cheers!

Last edited:
The last one sold out shortly after my last post :(. Hope someone here got one. Keep an eye out for it on Amazon as it may come back in stock.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/costco-olive-oil_us_5981e0abe4b09d24e9945c22

Save some cash.

Its been a while since I looked at Amazon food offerings. I was always wary that you might get older stock or something. This looks like a decent deal though https://www.amazon.ca/Panama-Gourme...&qid=1535771055&sr=1-3&keywords=Geisha+coffee
Whatever works for you, though it ignores very basic flavour differences. That's like saying oh, it's just beer :). There are big differences in olive oil varieties and flavours, from light fruity flavours to strong grassy peppery flavours (I've only started to sample and there may be more to consider; there are three major olive varieties used in olive oil just as a starting point ;)). It's bizarre to see a more fulsome perspective dismissed so casually but again, whatever works for you.

For mainstream olive oil by all means consider Costco olive oil. I myself prefer PC EVOO for basic premium olive oil use. Similar flavour style and price-point, maybe a little more expensive. https://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_...ld_evoo_extra_virgin_olive_oilprod850071.html

Not surprisingly, the ultra premium olive oils I've tried are a significantly different experience. Having variety is a staple foodie experience :agave:.Enjoyable to see and worth sharing imo. It's also good value at this price, look compared to liquor for example.

Generally I've had a good experience with Amazon food stock freshness. It's actually been as bad or worse in my local grocer shopping. It hasn't yet been bad enough to complain/refund or even request an exchange for me. YMMV. It's worth considering and trying in my experience.

Last edited:
The last one sold out shortly after my last post :(. Hope someone here got one. Keep an eye out for it on Amazon as it may come back in stock.

Whatever works for you, though it ignores very basic flavour differences. That's like saying oh, it's just beer :). There are big differences in olive oil varieties and flavours, from light fruity flavours to strong grassy peppery flavours (I've only started to sample and there may be more to consider; there are three major olive varieties used in olive oil just as a starting point ;)). It's bizarre to see a more fulsome perspective dismissed so casually but again, whatever works for you.

For mainstream olive oil by all means consider Costco olive oil. I myself prefer PC EVOO for basic premium olive oil use. Similar flavour style and price-point, maybe a little more expensive. https://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_...ld_evoo_extra_virgin_olive_oilprod850071.html

Not surprisingly, the ultra premium olive oils I've tried are a significantly different experience. Having variety is a staple foodie experience :agave:.Enjoyable to see and worth sharing imo. It's also good value at this price, look compared to liquor for example.

Generally I've had a good experience with Amazon food stock freshness. It's actually been as bad or worse in my local grocer shopping. It hasn't yet been bad enough to complain/refund or even request an exchange for me. YMMV. It's worth considering and trying in my experience.

Hmmm...didn’t read that way to me from the article. It read as being very good value and competing well with others higher up and it was interesting to see the article after tasting it myself and agreeing with the findings. Just putting it out there for people that might want a super duper premium 500 threadcount angels dancing on your tongue oil rather than an ultra luxe penthouse in the clouds the butler does it all oil. ;)

Last edited:
Just putting it out there for people that might want a super duper premium 500 threadcount angels dancing on your tongue oil rather than an ultra luxe penthouse in the clouds the butler does it all oil. ;)
You recently "just put it out there" a few weeks back too. Anyone reading the thread knows your opinion already. Stop the repetitive rebuttal and Let The Conversation Breathe for the rest of us. :)

Lol. I go through so much of the stuff I buy a big bottle of virgin olive oil from Costco. To be honest, I've had boutique stuff brought back for me from Tuscany that you can’t get here and the Costco stuff and unless you’re drinking it I think you’d be hard pressed (pun) to taste the difference. To be fair though, I don’t think the Costco stuff is bargain basement either...

The differences I have been discussing are known and acknowledged.
https://stamsons.com/blogs/greek-olive-oil/kalamata-koroneiki . Plus GTA store source to boot for some good products :).

Last edited:
That was my opinion before...the article above is one I found that is the opinion of experts. I thought people might like to know that they can get a super ultra premium product from a mainstream retailer like Costco..or Amazon say. :agave:

Anyway. Back to food.

I had an amazing smoothie made at home the other day. Half a cup of oats, a shot of espresso, 3 pitted dates, a banana, milk, vanilla protein powder and ice. Blended in the vitamix to make a really good smooth texture and a great breakfast smoothie. I always balked at the prices of the high end blenders but they really do make a difference. This one completely pulverises anything thrown at it and whipped the oats up to make a wonderful homogenous creamy texture. My old kitchen aid was good but it left a grainy texture sometimes.

Last edited:
olive oil debates
first world white guy problem :)
:) Yes, and small potatoes next to $600+ blender talk.

There's foodie enthusiasm for most any food out there. Especially when there are World tasting competition awards... it's a big market and interest.

Fraudulent adulterated olive oil is a huge issue, much more common than many people realize. 60 Minutes News even did a report on the topic. >$60B industry and reported margins similar to cocaine :eek:.
https://vimeo.com/168257979

At one point in the video you can see the grower happily pointing out and discussing the peppery finish in the throat of his premium olive oils... aka the cough factor in the prior link I posted :).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom