What's for dinner? | Page 54 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Some turkey bacon isn’t bad. Can’t remember which one I had. Don’t think it was the butterball stuff.
That one is the Butterball stuff.
It's okay for what it is.....but it is not bacon.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Looks great @ Joe Bass
happy112.gif
. There's an avocado theme in the recent meal pictures posted :).

With all the vegetables coming from the garden I made another asian vegetable wok stir fry :). This one has bok choy, onion, carrots and peas all from the garden. To that I added diced red sweet pepper, shiitake mushrooms, basswood black fungus, cashews, diced fresh garlic, fresh mint, ground 4 peppercorn, mortar/pestle ground Chinese red chili peppers. The seasoning is scratch and includes oyster sauce, black (sweet) soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and fresh squeezed lime juice. Cooked in peanut oil. Really really good :agave::agave:!
attachment.php

No noodles in this one. The lime juice really changes the flavour profile of the meal with a nice bright citrus element.

More fresh corn in season. Some of the best corn this year too. That new cook method is the way to go :). This is with butter and a pinch of salt and sugar. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

Here's another Smokey Alabama Grill marinated chicken kebab :). Tender and visibly juicy :D. :agave:
attachment.php

Cheers!

Keep in mind I'm a hack in the kitchen...
Leftover taco meat from Monday's dinner. Lean ground beef was on sale at Food Basics for $2.99/lb. Picked up a kilo and a half.
(can I just say that I am seriously impressed with the quality of meat from FB? The veal is fantastic, the chicken breasts go on for $5.99/lb and almost no trimming required. I've had worse meat from Longos and Fortinos that I've paid much more for.)
...so we made nachos tonight. Realized we didn't have any salsa, so thought about a pico de gallo. Googled the way to make it, and I don't eat jalapeno peppers, so I modified a salsa: garden tomatoes, garden onions, garden green peppers, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Damn! So good. Whipped up some quick quac as well.

Stupid phone didn't save the nachos pic
1a209545e287223bfa22ee9437dbddb8.jpg
0855891165e2abecc801ad07f57a1937.jpg
10da468040875cc9449b728a920ccc99.jpg

Do you not like spicy food Joe? There’s a few options for less spicy peppers. Interestingly spicyness (heat) is actually a pain response rather than a taste response and that’s why habitual hot food lovers deal with the heat better than occasional tasters. They literally get used to the pain and have a higher tolerance.

Do you not like spicy food Joe? There’s a few options for less spicy peppers. Interestingly spicyness (heat) is actually a pain response rather than a taste response and that’s why habitual hot food lovers deal with the heat better than occasional tasters. They literally get used to the pain and have a higher tolerance.
I put Louisiana hot sauce on much of my food. I use a bomba sauce that I dip crusty bread into. I like banana peppers in my subs.
About 10-15 years ago we went to dinner with another couple to Lone Star. My buddy said that I had to have the jalapeno poppers. I bit into one and thought I was having a heart attack. We were on the verge of calling an ambulance. Now even the smell brings me back to that event and I start to have flashbacks and a mini anxiety attack.
Food for me is pleasure.
That event was not.
I try to avoid it.
Funny how the brain brings back memorys through a song, a place, a feeling.....but the most intense, the most "real" is through smell.
Here's a little story:
When I was 5 we went to Italy. We drove for hours in the heat. We walked into the relative's house and sat down to dinner; pasta alla olio (pasta with oil). I took one bite and started to violently throw up.
I know now that the pasta was not the culprit, but the car sickness was. But to this day, if I smell that cooking, I start the dry heaves, and have, on occasion, thrown up. (just typing it here is making me a little queasy)
All that being said, I've read about many benefits of spicy food, so I try to eat some. For example, tomorrow I will add at LEAST 5 shakes if Tabasco to my Mott's Ceaser!

Ahhh. Ok. Understood. I like jalapeños but prefer them pickled to tone down the heat and up the flavour a little. I like spicy food but there has to be taste there too. I like a good vindaloo curry but prefer a madras for the taste etc.

Back to Mexican food, Chiles relenos are one of my favourites. Poblano peppers stuffed, skinned and fried in a light batter. Not super spicy but a decent kick and very tasty. I make them myself...probably one of the most fiddly dishes to make but worth it.

crazy spicy heat is not enjoyable, I agree
jalapenos, yes pickled, have a real nice flavour with the heat
Sriracha is a bit hotter but also a flavour that you can enjoy
made some home made beans with BBQ pork bits and mixed in Sriracha
gonna do that one again, loved it, few hours later, others not so much

what is the new corn method KW?
gonna do some PEC corn tonight and try the salt, sugar and butter

crazy spicy heat is not enjoyable, I agree
jalapenos, yes pickled, have a real nice flavour with the heat
Sriracha is a bit hotter but also a flavour that you can enjoy
made some home made beans with BBQ pork bits and mixed in Sriracha
gonna do that one again, loved it, few hours later, others not so much

what is the new corn method KW?
gonna do some PEC corn tonight and try the salt, sugar and butter
The new method for me was microwaving it. Simply wrap the corn in the husk with wax paper (not very tightly either) and microwave at full power for 3 minutes (that's a good time to first try it and then you can adjust up or down to preference). It's crazy easy and fast. It's definitely my fave. You're making me want to go get some more fresh corn :). Enjoy the meal! Let us know what you think of the salt, sugar and butter style.

For spicy heat, one person's crazy heat can be another person's milder heat :). I love all types of heat and that probably includes crazy heat to many people. My earlier posts show habanero spicy cheese and chipotle in adobo sauce, which are great higher spiced products to try :agave:. For even hotter food, if you are interested, give Mezzetta California pickled hot chili peppers a try (should be on the shelf at one of the local major grocers). I eat 5-7 good sized ones in a serving. I chew them down as well, plus move them around the mouth. Mouth numbness and tingling are a significant part of the experience :). It's a slow build but to considerable spiciness. The spiciness comes down after some minutes with no lingering effects of any kind. And as people have said, the more you have spicy food the more you adapt to it. This chili peppers get less and less spicy when I eat them regularly.

00073214001170_a1c1.jpg

Some people may find those Takis habanero MX tortilla chips I posted earlier from Amazon impressively spicy. :)
https://www.amazon.ca/Takis-Fuego-Corn-Count-280g/dp/B075CV83P2
It's the second time I've seen them sell out on Amazon recently, but I'd expect them to get back in stock before long.

EDIT: All this spice talk made me go snack on some spicy food :). Those Mezzetta California chili peppers were impressively hot and numbing :). I had a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce after that and not surprisingly it was less spicy (and a wildly different flavour). And then some of that World award winning Bothwell's habanero and cracked black pepper cheese with PC chia and quinoa pita crackers (great crackers). A tasty spread.
3398319.jpg.thumb.420.420.margin.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hope everyone's weekend is going well!

Here's a few more meal pics.

Some fresh rainbow trout on sale getting ready for a meal :).
attachment.php

A 50% sale on local grocer fresh field greens salad with cranberries, onions, tomatoes, canned mandarin oranges and nuts. I used some premium olive oil and balsamic vinegar. :agave:
attachment.php

Made some 3 cheese natchos with fresh avocado and custom salsa :agave:
attachment.php

I bulked up a Newman's Own salsa with diced garden fresh cherry tomatoes (two varieties including the very tasty sun sugar), garden onion/chives, diced chipotles in adobo sauce (can) and MX hot sauce. It tastes as great as it looks :agave:
attachment.php

Cheers

Last edited:
Did I possibly inspire someone's dinner???? Lol
Lazy summer day so made some burgers, dogs, bacon and bacon wrapped dogs.
Got another flare up, so the after picture will remain unseen.
Saw a tip somewhere about keeping a spray bottle of water around to stop flare ups....if I don't replace the bbq next year, I'm gonna do that.
04144a57127fceb05976edcab5d6aaf1.jpg

My buddy said that I had to have the jalapeno poppers. I bit into one and thought I was having a heart attack. We were on the verge of calling an ambulance. Now even the smell brings me back to that event and I start to have flashbacks and a mini anxiety attack.

Still friends with your buddy? ;)

Lolz
Yeah
And he still offers me them every time we go out.
What a prick! Lol
Still friends with your buddy? ;)

I'm just back from a week of eating and drinking my way through Tuscany. Even a sandwich at a roadside motorway stop was pretty nice.

They seem to understand your going to be putting whatever they make in your mouth.

I'm just back from a week of eating and drinking my way through Tuscany. Even a sandwich at a roadside motorway stop was pretty nice.

They seem to understand your going to be putting whatever they make in your mouth.

I had great food in Tuscany too but for the most part I paid a pretty price for it. But you’re right, there are some places in the world where even fast food is elevated to something else due to care and attention and culture. I find as long as you stay away from chip trucks etc in Quebec, little mom and pop places also have some great food.

Back to food. I made this recipe yesterday and it was excellent, https://avirtualvegan.com/vegan-meatloaf-with-gravy/ . Vegan meatloaf and gravy....stop sniggering right now. Vegan food when done right is just as tasty as any other. When done wrong, it tastes like a bad side dish. I eat meat but the wife is vegan (or trying hard to be) so it’s easier to cook these dishes rather than cooking a few different ones for both of us. The gravy in that recipe is surprisingly very good indeed. The meatloaf is very good but slightly lentil heavy for me. I’d maybe swap a cup of the lentils out for a cup of chopped nuts but it’s just fine as-is.

haha....looks like some hi-octane stuff there Joe
yeah bacon needs to be babysat on the grill

the butter/salt/sugar on the corn was a hit KW

tried some short ribs on the grill, had dry marinated all day - coffee BBQ rub
got sidetracked at the neighbors playing pool first
didn't get around to getting the grill going until 1 AM
it was dark, and we'd put a decent dent in his beer fridge
results were not worthy of a pic

Hope everyone's weekend is going well!

Here's a few more meal pics.

Some fresh rainbow trout on sale getting ready for a meal :).
attachment.php

A 50% sale on local grocer fresh field greens salad with cranberries, onions, tomatoes, canned mandarin oranges and nuts. I used some premium olive oil and balsamic vinegar. :agave:
attachment.php

Made some 3 cheese natchos with fresh avocado and custom salsa :agave:
attachment.php

I bulked up a Newman's Own salsa with diced garden fresh cherry tomatoes (two varieties including the very tasty sun sugar), garden onion/chives, diced chipotles in adobo sauce (can) and MX hot sauce. It tastes as great as it looks :agave:
attachment.php

Cheers

I have never been able to get into freshwater fish. The closest I guess is Salmon. I'll eat all manner of sea fish/inverts, there's not actually anything from the sea that I'm not that fond of except eel. Occasionally pickerel isn't bad but if I had the choice between pickerel and cod/halibut etc I'd choose the sea fish every time.

Good one sburns
lol.gif

Did I possibly inspire someone's dinner???? Lol
Lazy summer day so made some burgers, dogs, bacon and bacon wrapped dogs.
Got another flare up, so the after picture will remain unseen.
Saw a tip somewhere about keeping a spray bottle of water around to stop flare ups....if I don't replace the bbq next year, I'm gonna do that.
Great minds think alike :), haha. Nice spread, flare-ups suck. If doing a spray bottle I recommend one that can stream, not just spray. I have kept a glass of water by the grill from time to time if not using a spray bottle.

the butter/salt/sugar on the corn was a hit KW

tried some short ribs on the grill, had dry marinated all day - coffee BBQ rub
got sidetracked at the neighbors playing pool first
didn't get around to getting the grill going until 1 AM
it was dark, and we'd put a decent dent in his beer fridge
results were not worthy of a pic
Cool on the corn. The ribs sound tasty.

I have never been able to get into freshwater fish. The closest I guess is Salmon. I'll eat all manner of sea fish/inverts, there's not actually anything from the sea that I'm not that fond of except eel. Occasionally pickerel isn't bad but if I had the choice between pickerel and cod/halibut etc I'd choose the sea fish every time.
It's all just preferences. I enjoy pickerel and try to keep some on hand.

Did anyone try the KFC waffle double down when it was in-store some months back. It was tasty :agave:!

Cheers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom