VW deisel?? wtf... | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW deisel?? wtf...

I'd say vw just got the unlucky lottery ticket here; ever wonder what they are all doing to keep up with the EPA? With the truck industry, the emission laws are happening faster than the technology, which I'm sure keeps the uninformed happy, but it has been a real trainwreck for the manufacturer and the consumer. It would be nice to see some realistic goals set, but unfortunately that would require participation from too many different areas to be possible.

http://www.overdriveonline.com/class-action-lawsuit-accuses-navistar-of-knowingly-selling-defective-engines/

http://www.trucknews.com/regulations/special-report-can-i-get-a-dpf-delete/1002148784/

We can spin this many ways:

A) GM and Toyota make a lot of cars in the US (unlike VW) and the US is going to go lightly on the guys that employ Americans verses the guys who do not.

B) VW knew what they were doing BEFORE the cars were made, the fault was entirely on purpose. GM and Toyota made cars and realized they F-ed up after the fact--then they tried to cover it up/risk management. One was intentional from the beginning, the others were a cover up.

C) The EPA has more power to enforce their agenda than the rest of "us" have to enforce the law when people are killed due to incompetence/cover-ups.

Pick one, pick two, pick all three....

Re (A), don't forget that VW has a new assembly plant in Chattanooga, TN which opened in 2012 (Passat) and they have been looking to expand it (and it builds one of the vehicles that has been affected by this!), and GM didn't get light treatment for the ignition-switch debacle, and Toyota didn't get light treatment for the accelerator pedal debacle. This doesn't appear to have been a factor in enforcement. (B) and (C) are certainly true ...

Re (A), don't forget that VW has a new assembly plant in Chattanooga, TN which opened in 2012 (Passat) and they have been looking to expand it (and it builds one of the vehicles that has been affected by this!), and GM didn't get light treatment for the ignition-switch debacle, and Toyota didn't get light treatment for the accelerator pedal debacle. This doesn't appear to have been a factor in enforcement. (B) and (C) are certainly true ...

And said companies are still in business

Toyota and GM did not get off lightly ..... until VW issue came up. Now it looks to me like they have and by far. Or perhaps EPA emission ruling related economic consequences reach much farther out than any USDOT or NHSTA ruling. Different agency enforcement came int play. The amounts this will cost VW when they are done will be +50 bil. US$ .... GM and Toyota didn't come close to that.

It's just really disconcerting that EPA has so much more ultimate power over USDOT and NHSTA when you think of it. Emmisions vs. safety ... I don't know, doesn't look like a level playing field to me ....

It's just really disconcerting that EPA has so much more ultimate power over USDOT and NHSTA when you think of it. Emmisions vs. safety ... I don't know, doesn't look like a level playing field to me ....

Ask land developers who they are more afraid of, municipal government or conservation authorities? One has control (theoretically) over almost every aspect of their development, the other looks for minnows in streams. Environmental protection still has magical powers of enforcement, most other problems can be quite easily paid to disappear.

VW will survive this ... at what cost though?

Smoke and mirrors
Germany will not let VW fail because VW is a part of the German DNA and course of pride.

Germany has the money and will cut some behind the scenes trade deal so the on the surface they paid $50 billion (yeah right) but behind the scenes it will get squashed. That's my 2 cents.
Think of it this way, would Japan let Honda or Toyota fail. The German government will work behind the scenes to deal with it.
I called it first, US plant will have a sudden expansion.

smoke and mirrors
planes are serious polluters but we don't talk about them...why not?

Environmental protection still has magical powers of enforcement, most other problems can be quite easily paid to disappear.

If only the Enviro powers were as active when oil sands polluters are considered. The car industry has been put through hell with limits, yet oil sands boy got a pass, basically. I guess they are smart they paired up with Harper to seal the deal. Smart.

smoke and mirrors

Everybody flies and it's not exactly cheap these days. People are not prepared to pay significantly more. Boeing and Airbus have better lobbying grass roots than the whole car industry. I cannot think of anything else, can you?

Smoke and mirrors

smoke and mirrors

Well the VW thing is more (maybe entirely) about smog pollutants (NOx, etc.) not greenhouse gas emissions. This is the stuff that creates smog and not global warming, the main impact is on the local population where the car is running or the people down wind. It is like guys pulling emissions gear and cats off of their bikes…

Greenhouse gasses are another thing but we tend to get confused, for cars this is mostly CO2. CO2 emissions can be estimated based on fuel consumption and the amount of carbon in the fuel per litre/gallon for both cars and planes… Bikes produce much more smog gasses than cars but they produce less CO2 assuming they get better mileage…here is a shot at it for planes:

Let's say that a litre of gas has 2.3 kg of CO2 when burned. Let's say a litre of jet fuel is close to Kerosene and it has 2.6 kg of CO2 per litre. Using as an example, an A320 that can carry 150 passengers and the fuel consumption is about 3.6 l/km. Or 360l/100 km. But there are 150 people on the plane so we can call that 2.4l/100km per person. If we use 85% loading the number changes to 2.8l/100km.

Now a modern small car is 9l/100km mixed driving and typically only have one person in it. An SUV or truck is 12 l/100km mixed driving. So based on this, you can fly 3.2 km (85% loading) for every km you drive a car. Or you can fly 4.3 km for every km you drive your SUV. Or we can say flying from YYZ to YVR (~3300 km) is like driving a car 1031 km or driving an SUV/Truck 767 km. Less people on the plane, more people in the cars, better or worse cars/turcks… But there is an estimation of the carbon footprint of flying.

Now the question with regards to the VW thing, how much NOx, etc. does the jet produce verses the car--this I do not know, and of course the impact on the location these gasses are produced (one at 30,000 feet in the air, the other beside you in traffic).

VW took out as full page ad in the Toronto star today, and apparently other papers across north America stating plainly that VW used to stand for integrity and they realize its not like that right now and they want to make things right.

they are in a serious tailspin on sales , being a VW salesman right now would be like selling refridgerators on Baffin Island.

VW took out as full page ad in the Toronto star today, and apparently other papers across north America stating plainly that VW used to stand for integrity and they realize its not like that right now and they want to make things right.

they are in a serious tailspin on sales , being a VW salesman right now would be like selling refridgerators on Baffin Island.

Their customers are loyal.
Audi sales are doing fine as well...lol

Just drop the price on 2016 models and subsidize it and problem solved.
Make back the money on parts and service downstream.
Drop that Jetta to $15k or less with 0% interest for 3 years then 2% for the next 3 years or something like that...people will buy them because they are cheap. Get new customers to try the product and trade in or trade up later...keeps them in the VW family.

First step is saying sorry, which they have started to.
Next step is to show it by offering the customer something great and current owners something special.

It's only a matter of time before the dealership will start filing lawsuits. I cannot see how they will not with their investments on the books. On the other hand, VW Canada is not communicating much to their current customer base (I mean the owners of the affected vehicles), especially when compared to US. I guess they were all busy working on the ads ....

VW will not have problem to sell new cars, as long as they keep them price attractive and the quality will not drop. Their product has specific value to people who don't want to drive Corollas, Civics, Elantra's .....

Not good times for anybody working for VW or part of the supply chain though, that's for sure.

Last edited:
A close friend is a sales guy for a small VW dealership. His numbers are up compared to this time last year and he has a waiting list for TDi's when they become available again. Hes says it doesn't seem to have effected them on sales point at least at the dealership level.

A close friend is a sales guy for a small VW dealership. His numbers are up compared to this time last year and he has a waiting list for TDi's when they become available again. Hes says it doesn't seem to have effected them on sales point at least at the dealership level.

I noticed the advertising for Audi seems to have increased also.

Does anyone know what the sales ratio for the VW sales of diesel vs. gas is?

I've heard ~25% diesel.

Jalopnik says "At Volkswagen in the U.S., diesels account for 20 to 25 percent of their sales"
Globe and Mail says "
The percentage for diesel right now is about 30 per cent of our total [Canadian] sales"

Thanks for the stat's, nothing to worry about. Stock is bouncing back just fine.
I would hazard a guess and say that at least 75% of the diesel buyers bought a diesel specifically for their purpose meaning that serves their financial purpose therefore they will stay on diesel.

I honestly see VW emerging better because they have to come back stronger and better therefore they have to provide better products (and finance rates) than they were probably planning to. Just makes smart business sense and VW has been a very smart company. I don't own a VW and have no current desire to, however I can respect the products they provide...even that stupid beetle with the flower holder:p

Back
Top Bottom