VW deisel?? wtf... | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW deisel?? wtf...

Waiting to see what VW of Canada will come up with. I hope they will not disregard the 25% points difference between USD and CAD. I bet that's what their calculators are doing these days and why the Canadian offer has not been out yet ... how much less can we afford to give the Canadians vs. American customers ... i hope I am wrong and they will do the right thing in this abysmal PR disaster.

LOL wouldn't that be nice if they gave us more cash money cus of our garbage dollar!

I read somewhere that they made a statement this is 100% good will and will not require waving your right to take legal action. I don't really care I have no intention of taking legal action, never been part of a class action suite have no idea what kind of individual settlement that would yield..

However, even a measly $1000CAD will more than ease my severely damaged envromental values and morals lol.

I love this car had it for 100k it's been nothing but great and now it's giving me a gift of $1000, gotta love ze germans!

I've seen a decrease in mileage but I think it's due to winter diesel and switch over to winter tires.

My recall earlier this year was for a reflash for emissions update but didn't seem to affect performance or mileage. And the recall was before stuff hit the fan.

Haven't received anything from the dealer or VW since.......

Mind you my vehicle is owned by a leasing company based in Quebec so, not being the registered owner, I have to wait for anything to come from the leading company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I averaged the mileage out before going to winter tires and possibly winter diesel.

They don't even know yet, or publicly announced, how they intend to fix the vehicle variety affected (worldwide), so I cannot see how the work on your vehicle had anything to do with the EPA notice or defeat device in general. If that's what the dealer was telling you, found quickly another dealer, because this one doesn't seem to have a clue.

BTW, replacing exhaust flapper valve is frequent problem, cracked DPF's requiring premature replacement infrequent, but definitely known. Re-flash the computer ... that could mean anything, but definitely nothing to do with the EPA notice.

According to VW Canada certain vehicles required an "emissions check and re-program" earlier this year. It was a letter from VW Canada that I received requesting my car come in for the check and re-flash where they ended up replacing those parts and performed the re-flash. I'll see if I still have a copy of the recall notice. It is rumored that this recall was an attempt for VW to hide the fact they were getting busted for fraudulent claims.

I don't know about that rumor ... DPF replacement alone costs them roughly 2K when VW compensates the part and labour to the dealer the dealer. Why would they spend that amount of money without really knowing the consequences fully.

Plus I have not heard of notice which would cover DPF replacement .... I am going to think that DPF and flapper valve was changed on your vehicle under warranty, because each one failed prematurely. The re-flash might have been some lame attempt to get out of EPA's radar. I am not sure if I even have received any such notice though .... would not go anywhere any ways.

I don't know about that rumor ... DPF replacement alone costs them roughly 2K when VW compensates the part and labour to the dealer the dealer. Why would they spend that amount of money without really knowing the consequences fully.

Plus I have not heard of notice which would cover DPF replacement .... I am going to think that DPF and flapper valve was changed on your vehicle under warranty, because each one failed prematurely. The re-flash might have been some lame attempt to get out of EPA's radar. I am not sure if I even have received any such notice though .... would not go anywhere any ways.

Agreed if I knew it was possibly going to effect performance or economy I would not have gone in either. It certainly wont be going to the dealer anytime soon. You may be correct about the flapper and DPF but I had zero issues no complaints and no dash lights. The only reason I went in was due to the notice I had received from VW Canada.

LOL wouldn't that be nice if they gave us more cash money cus of our garbage dollar!

I read somewhere that they made a statement this is 100% good will and will not require waving your right to take legal action. I don't really care I have no intention of taking legal action, never been part of a class action suite have no idea what kind of individual settlement that would yield..

However, even a measly $1000CAD will more than ease my severely damaged envromental values and morals lol.

I love this car had it for 100k it's been nothing but great and now it's giving me a gift of $1000, gotta love ze germans!

I am kind of thinking along the same lines .... as long as they don't make my car lower on power and worse in fuel consumption, I have no reason to litigate or get compensated. Which could easily be difficult to achieve in Ontario.

But, North America has it good as far as compensation ... I have read today that there will be countries in Europe who will force vehicles come in for a "fix" and their owners will get exactly nothing to get compensated. Not even a replacement vehicle for the day, forget a monetary compensation. The reason for that is most likely different legal/customer environment and very mild pro-litigation atmosphere. Simply said, they know they will get away with compensating exactly zero.

Agreed if I knew it was possibly going to effect performance or economy I would not have gone in either. It certainly wont be going to the dealer anytime soon. You may be correct about the flapper and DPF but I had zero issues no complaints and no dash lights. The only reason I went in was due to the notice I had received from VW Canada.

It's strange because the flapper and DPF normally throw a code in those situations. I know my car has when it decided that there was an issue with these particular parts.

I am kind of thinking along the same lines .... as long as they don't make my car lower on power and worse in fuel consumption, I have no reason to litigate or get compensated. Which could easily be difficult to achieve in Ontario.

But, North America has it good as far as compensation ... I have read today that there will be countries in Europe who will force vehicles come in for a "fix" and their owners will get exactly nothing to get compensated. Not even a replacement vehicle for the day, forget a monetary compensation. The reason for that is most likely different legal/customer environment and very mild pro-litigation atmosphere. Simply said, they know they will get away with compensating exactly zero.

Hmm, I need to go through my paperwork, I know I signed something that exempted them from CAMVAP, I wonder what the fineprint said.

Dear VW Canada, what are you doing right now? Do you need help to calculate the CAD equivalent of the US package? It's not difficult, I can help ... The silence is deafening.

My car is currently a damn christmas tree. I got all sorts of lights going off on the dash at the moment. lol

I got my DPF and engine light solid, with my glow plug light flashing. I know this has something to do with my DPF. I'm sure it's already full and my car will no longer regen. I don't really see any performance changes though. It still pulls as normal and gas mileage still seems normal. I have no time nor the money to have my DPF manually cleaned.

That said, I wonder if the dealer will do this as part of the recall?

Are you past DPF warranty? My car had the same problem and it started with exhaust sensor failing, so regen would not kick in as it should, thus filling DPF over the allowed ratio. DPF was replaced under warranty, the sensor I had to pay for ...

Fix is out .... sort of. It raises a lot of questions though ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKN8danpIfE

Certainly does. IANAE but I wonder about the widget that goes into the air intake - the only way I could see that improving the function of the MAF is if it is now operating under different conditions, i.e. reduced air velocity, which would imply a significant kneecapping of the motor

Are you past DPF warranty? My car had the same problem and it started with exhaust sensor failing, so regen would not kick in as it should, thus filling DPF over the allowed ratio. DPF was replaced under warranty, the sensor I had to pay for ...

What is DPF warranty? I tried emailing VW Canada but they haven't responded.

Any of you have VCDS?

Certainly does. IANAE but I wonder about the widget that goes into the air intake - the only way I could see that improving the function of the MAF is if it is now operating under different conditions, i.e. reduced air velocity, which would imply a significant kneecapping of the motor

It's just like a bundle of straws to straighten out the airflow. As it is, with an elbow close to the sensor, there may be significant airflow passing by the wire on one side. The MAF is calibrated for even airflow across its surface. It could present a restriction, but hopefully vw was smart enough to investigate that before proposing it.

It's just like a bundle of straws to straighten out the airflow. As it is, with an elbow close to the sensor, there may be significant airflow passing by the wire on one side. The MAF is calibrated for even airflow across its surface. It could present a restriction, but hopefully vw was smart enough to investigate that before proposing it.

I'm not suggesting the widget itself is a restrictor, but the ECU update may restrict the engine to bring emissions down. The MAF may not have been accurate or efficient under those new conditions

To me, it seems there is a HUGE deal being made out of this considering that NOBODY DIED or got HURT unlike the Toyota and GM fiasco's.
What am I missing here?

What is DPF warranty? I tried emailing VW Canada but they haven't responded.

Any of you have VCDS?

DPF is part of emission control system which falls under I believe 7 years or 150000kms on my 09 or something along those lines ... it's been a while when I looked into the book. It definitely has a much longer warranty than the standard bumper-bumper or drive train.

I don't have VCDS.

To me, it seems there is a HUGE deal being made out of this considering that NOBODY DIED or got HURT unlike the Toyota and GM fiasco's.
What am I missing here?

You are not missing anything .... it seems draconian, but they were caught cheating by agency who wants to make their actions be felt, so they cannot let it slip just by issuing a slap on a wrist which render their existence questionable ..... Do average Joe's care or support their witch hunt? I would say mostly not, especially in Europe, but it doesn't really matter, does it? You cheat on emissions and it set you back 50 or so estimated billion bucks and probably more .... you kill people by your cheap design and it cost you barely 1 billion ... this world we have today is a very weird place, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom